• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Appeal to Support EN World!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just saw that Fat Dragon Games has donated a Dungeon Tiles set (pdf) for all members to download!

My love for FDG increases yet again!

Yep! That's incredibly kind of them!

There will be new content every single month. The content itself will normally retail for more than the $3 of the subscription price.

Jack99

Adventurer
It needs to pull in much more than that, because if I'm gonna do this for another decade it needs to turn into a real, solid business. It needs to start paying people (such as a non-volunteer tech admin), it needs to increase the amount of professional content it offers in the form of columnists, etc., and a whole other bunch of stuff.

This is about a long-term sustainable plan of growth. EN World is growing up and becoming professional! It has to if I'm gonna keep doing it! :)

Very interesting indeed. So right now, it only pays for you (and your vodka)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very interesting indeed. So right now, it only pays for you (and your vodka)?

I wish it did even that!

I'm working on a solid business plan at the moment. I'm getting married next year and by then this site will either support me or I'll need to do something else, because it's not fair on Sharon the way she has to subsidise the place (indirectly). It's been OK for the last decade, but my life is changing, I'll have responsibilities, etc. and can't continue treating this as a hobby. The business plan will feature:

- More professional content to give added value to the site (columnists, software, web tools, etc.)
- Pay me a salary. A decent one!
- Pay other staff for real jobs - first a tech guy whose job it is to ensure the site runs fast all the time, then web coders and other staff.

I'm in the process of creating landmarks to measure progress. 1000 subscribers by Xmas is essential at Stage 1. I'm also creating landmarks in terms of advertising and so forth. So the site will have specific targets it needs to meet.

The benefit? A happier admin, a smooth site, excellent content, solid monthly revenue to guarantee longevity - all the usual things associate with a successful business.

We're on track at the moment, but it's only been a day! We need 10 new subscribers every day until Xmas, roughly. We got 40 in the first day, but that will slow down drastically; the question is whether it slows to less than 10 per day.

We're also going to have seasonal themed events and contents for subscribers - pay artists to draw your character dressed as Santa, maybe (OK, that's maybe a silly one, but you get the idea). I plan to work with publishers to have competitions etc. regularly. Lots of ideas floating round at the moment which will be committed to a paper as a solid plan.

Last edited:

weem

First Post
I wish it did even that!

I'm working on a solid business plan at the moment... <snip> ...Lots of ideas floating round at the moment which will be committed to a paper as a solid plan.

This is really cool to hear (read? hehe)...

I have been in the web design/development business for a while (1999-ish as my actual full time job) and have wondered when/if ENW would/could take that next step from hobby to business - the community is here for sure, and there is a lot of potential - TONS of different things you could do.

Count me as excited ;)

I'm working on a solid business plan at the moment. I'm getting married next year and by then this site will either support me or I'll need to do something else, because it's not fair on Sharon the way she has to subsidise the place (indirectly). It's been OK for the last decade, but my life is changing, I'll have responsibilities, etc. and can't continue treating this as a hobby. The business plan will feature:

- More professional content to give added value to the site (columnists, software, web tools, etc.)
- Pay me a salary. A decent one!
- Pay other staff for real jobs - first a tech guy whose job it is to ensure the site runs fast all the time, then web coders and other staff.

I'm in the process of creating landmarks to measure progress. 1000 subscribers by Xmas is essential at Stage 1. I'm also creating landmarks in terms of advertising and so forth. So the site will have specific targets it needs to meet.

The benefit? A happier admin, a smooth site, excellent content, solid monthly revenue to guarantee longevity - all the usual things associate with a successful business.

We're on track at the moment, but it's only been a day! We need 10 new subscribers every day until Xmas, roughly. We got 40 in the first day, but that will slow down drastically; the question is whether it slows to less than 10 per day.

We're also going to have seasonal themed events and contents for subscribers - pay artists to draw your character dressed as Santa, maybe (OK, that's maybe a silly one, but you get the idea). I plan to work with publishers to have competitions etc. regularly. Lots of ideas floating round at the moment which will be committed to a paper as a solid plan.

I commend your efforts to turn your (probably full time) hobby into a successful business. If you can pull it off, you'll be living the dream :D

I'd recommend few things

Offer a free month as a community supporter
MMOs, WotC's DDI, and many other on-line subscriptions offer a free month to try things out before a user purchases a subscription. When you are ready to launch ENWorld++, I'd offer that to encourage those who hesitate to purchase on-line subscriptions a chance to try it out. I'd also spell out what an ENWorld++ member is getting over a normal user.

Call for Community Content
I'm sure many of us who read Enworld would love a chance to produce material for enworld. I'd issue an open call for submissions (quarterly perhaps), select the best items from those submissions, and offer them to the community at large (with a hefty discount for community supporters).

Move the Profit Making Icons
I come here for the message boards and after a brief scan on the front page, click directly on the forum icon. When your call to look at ENWorld for pdf purchases was made, I had to look around to find the ENWorld pdf section (at the far right of the icon bar). I'd put that for-profit icon right next to the most popular icon you have :D

Remove the request for donations
If this is going to be a for-profit venture, I'd remove the request for donations. Personally, I'd never donate to money to WotC, Blizzard, or Amazon (the companies where I spend the majority of my dollars for on-line services) and would consider it tacky if they asked for donations. For profit businesses, in my mind, should live or die by their services and goods, not by the generosity of the consumer.

Explore OGL Software
We've seen on this very board the split between 3 and 4. WotC provides a good set of tools for 4E (Compendium, Character Builder, etc). There is no reason you couldn't do the same for 3.X content from OGL publishers and offer that as a benefit to Community Supporters. It might be difficult to get WotC owned 3E material up (as they might see it as direct competition with DDI), but I'm willing to think an arrangement could be reach with companies like AEG and Green Ronin.

Again, best of luck and I look forward to seeing where you take ENWorld.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I don't know if that has been brought up, but there is a very simple thing that publishers can do to support the site. Whenever you post an RPGNOW link to a product in your post, make sure that link goes through the EN World PDF store. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it doesn't affect your sales at all, but EN World gets a percentage of the sale.

All you have to do to make sure that a link goes through the EN World PDF store is add "enworld." before rpgnow in your link, as shown in the link to WotBS #1 below.

http ://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=62519

BD

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a note also, guys - you can rate and comment on material in the CSA only section (at present the Demon Lord and Dungeon Tiles). This is a good way to make sure I've got feedback on the type of stuff you like and so I can keep the CSA good value for you!

erisred

First Post
Community Supporter Account

Just a note also, guys - you can rate and comment on material in the CSA only section (at present the Demon Lord and Dungeon Tiles). This is a good way to make sure I've got feedback on the type of stuff you like and so I can keep the CSA good value for you!

Morrus, I'd like to resubscribe to enWorld, but the *only* option appears to be a recurring 1 month term. I'd much rather subscribe for a year (or more) than have a recurring payment taken each month.

Is that not possible any more?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus, I'd like to resubscribe to enWorld, but the *only* option appears to be a recurring 1 month term. I'd much rather subscribe for a year (or more) than have a recurring payment taken each month.

Is that not possible any more?

I'm afraid not. The yearly payment has been phased out in favour of the new, smaller payments. One thing which is vital for cash flow is the ability to project an accurate monthly revenue, which yearly subscriptions make pretty much impossible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads