• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Applying class templates to monsters

mostholy2

First Post
I'm a bit confused about how to apply a class template on a monster in 4.0. The functional templates are pretty straightforward in their application as they use the monster's lvl to directly translate into additional hps & resistances.

However, the description of the Class templates looks different.
DMG said:
Adding a class to an existing monster is simple matter of overlaying the appropriate template. If you want to advance the monster in a class, first increase its level as described on page 174, then add the relavant class template.
Now if we follow this as worded, you can either overlay the template and add hps and class powers based on the monster lvl stat block. Or you could follow the second sentence of this description and add a single class level to the stat block (thus resulting in only a minimal increase in hps and low lvl class abilities). Which way is correct?

It would seem to me that to make the monster an Elite class monster, the direct overlaying of the class template over the entire monster stat block would be appropriate. However, by adding only a single class lvl you could provide a incremental increase to the monster's power and only result in adding a single lvl increase to the monster without making it an elite creature. I assume that if you were to do this, you wouldn't give the extra +2 saves or AP that normal elite creatures have.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on applying class template was meant to be done.

Oompa

First Post
Hmmm i think you need to raise it to elite first, and then apply the template..

And if you want an higher level monster, just raise its level, make it an elite and then template it..

MY reading of the the second sentance is not "add a level of class to it" but raise it's level normally (give it a bonus to attack/Damage/defenses/hp as usual) then apply the template, as usual. I assume because applying the template and then leveling it up would be annoying because you'd have to check the level of the powers you've taken, as opposed to just changing the level and choosing level appropriate powers.

mostholy2

First Post
So say I am applying a class template to a lvl 9 monster. To make it elite, I would just apply the template to the statblock, calculating additional hps based on lvl 9 monster and give the monster 1 at-will, 1 encounter and 1 daily power each up to 9th lvl class abilities. This should make an elite 9th lvl character.

My guess the second sentence in the DMG is just in case you wanted to make a higher lvl elite creature. ie. taking a 9th lvl monster template and making a higher lvl (10+) elite monster out of it.

Oompa

First Post
So say I am applying a class template to a lvl 9 monster. To make it elite, I would just apply the template to the statblock, calculating additional hps based on lvl 9 monster and give the monster 1 at-will, 1 encounter and 1 daily power each up to 9th lvl class abilities. This should make an elite 9th lvl character.

My guess the second sentence in the DMG is just in case you wanted to make a higher lvl elite creature. ie. taking a 9th lvl monster template and making a higher lvl (10+) elite monster out of it.

I think that is the way yes...

Remove ads