• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Applying the anarchic template to an existing character

zypherillius

First Post
If i take the Anarchic Template offered in the Planar Handbook and apply it to an 8th level PC, does the PC now have to play through 5 levels of it since the template has a level adjustment of 5? Or would the level adjustment only apply if i started the anarchic at first level.

any help is grateful!

ThirdWizard

First Post
The LA applies.

You could do it several ways. I can think of two main ways to do it: your character becomes ECL 13 but your XP total remains the same and you don't level up until you gain enough XP to become 14th level. Or you could break it down into several levels ala Savage Species and slowly gain the powers of the class, eventually becoming "full" Anarchic at 13th level.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Isn't the anarchic template inherited, thus obviating the question?

However, in general there is no clear solution in the rules. Suddenly, a PC has an ECL higher than his experience points allow. What happens? The three most common choices:

1. Just plain don't allow it or make sure it's temporary such as not to cause an issue. Or, just ignore the change in ECL.

2. Let the PC stay at the higher ECL, but now he needs A LOT more XP to advance even one more level.

3. Use some sort of "Savage Progression."

My choice is #1, making it temporary (at best).

IanB

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Isn't the anarchic template inherited, thus obviating the question?

However, in general there is no clear solution in the rules. Suddenly, a PC has an ECL higher than his experience points allow. What happens? The three most common choices:

1. Just plain don't allow it or make sure it's temporary such as not to cause an issue. Or, just ignore the change in ECL.

2. Let the PC stay at the higher ECL, but now he needs A LOT more XP to advance even one more level.

3. Use some sort of "Savage Progression."

My choice is #1, making it temporary (at best).

I'm not sure about anarchic, but there's a spell that permanently adds the axiomatic template to a creature in the Book of Exalted Deeds - there might be something similar floating around for the anarchic template.

Remove ads