• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[April] What are you reading?

Lazybones

Adventurer
RaceBannon42 said:
Started in on Old Man's War by John Scalzi.
Just finished this one and enjoyed it.

I couldn't get into Richard K. Morgan's Market Forces, although I really enjoyed his Takeshi Kovacs novels (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies). I also got the latest Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher, White Night. I really enjoy that series but they are pretty light stuff; it took about 3 days to get through it.

Right now I'm reading The Jack Vance Treasury which contains 18 short stories and novellas by the old master. I've read almost everything in there before but they're all worth a revisit.

Tolen Mar

First Post
These days I don't read as much as I used to.

However, I am right now in the middle of 'Blood Rites' by Jim Butcher with book six of the 'Saga of Seven Suns: of Fire and Night' for when I'm finished with that.

I have the latest Dresden book, but I'm still playing catch-up with my wife, who is currently reading it. Harry Potter comes out soon, and we have it on pre-order. Hopefully, given the rate I'm reading, I'll be ready to start that when it comes in. I hope to clear my reading palette in time to read it at the same time as my wife so she won't be tortured trying not to spoil things for me before I can catch up.

She knows so much about Dresden, it's tearing her apart that she can't tell me about them...

modred

First Post
I just finished <i>Prelude to Foundation</i> a few days ago, I advise against reading that before <i>Foundation</i>... I also advise finishing the Robot and Empire serieses first... I think I know how they both end now :(... but I couldn't wait any longer. It's just been sitting on by bookshelf for too long.

I should start reading <i>The Sword of Shannara</i> soon (someone's been borrowing it). That or <i>The Three Muskateers</i> (but that one dissapointed me, I only read the first few chapters, but it just doesn't seem as good as <i>The Count of Monte Cristo</i>, but I'll have to try to keep my hopes up.) if Shannara doesn't come home soon enough.

(hope I don't hyjack the thread here) does anyone know of any good or reasonably okay fantasy book(s) which show a 'normal' quest (like the way D&D characters always go on quests), I've been thinking that reading something like that would help me come up with ideas. Dunno though. But the Stargate episode "The Quest" was helpful to me.

But my own forray made me end up with a one-thousand (not kidding) page book which turned out not to have any quests in it (it was kinda like the first few minutes of a normal D&D session, they finally got a quest, then it ended, I hadn't know it was the first of a 3 book series), I didn't enjoy it much.

Tetsubo

First Post
American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century by Kevin Phillips

Crothian

First Post
I just finished the Rule of Four a very good book. I also caught up on Kathy Reichts novels the ones that inspired the TV show Bones. Now I'm reading some Tamorian Pierce a friend lent me.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
modred said:
...does anyone know of any good or reasonably okay fantasy book(s) which show a 'normal' quest....

Try Clifford D. Simak's The Fellowship of the Talisman. I've also toyed with the idea of turning Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth into a rather silly adventure.

As for what I'm reading, not much right now. I'm finishing McCollough's 1776, which is exceptional, and Christopher Dawson's Progress and Religion. Dawson remains one of the most learned and insightful historians, plus his prose is just wonderful.

I've barely started in on Plutarch with The Rise and Fall of Athens: Nine Greek Lives. After these, I'm not too sure where to go. I guess I'll have to dig through back issues of First Things for well-reviewed books. I should also get back to Carl J. Richard's The Founders and the Classics. I'd read most of it before I got distracted by shinier objects.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads