[April] What Are You Reading?

Richards

Legend
I'm reading a detective novel with a twist: the detective is a Japanese samurai in 17th century Japan. The novel is The Assassin's Touch, by Laura Joh Rowland, and it's one of a series of novels featuring Sano Ichiro.

Johnathan

delericho

Legend
Well, I finished "The Wheel of Time". It was okay - I'm not sure the story could have ended any other way, but the fantasy genre has also moved on quite a bit since the series started, so epic battles against Dark Lords seem a bit tired now.

Now, if George R.R. Martin and J.V. Jones could just get and finish their series in a reasonable timescale, that would be grand.

Meanwhile, my next books are "Blue at the Mizzen", the last complete Aubrey/Maturin novel by Patrick O'Brian, and then "Festval of Death" by Jonathon Morris, a "Doctor Who" novel featuring the Fourth Doctor.

Thanks to WoT I'm now quite a bit behind in my reading, so I'm hoping to pick up the pace for the rest of the month.

Nellisir

Hero
I finished Tropic of Night; I think it was really good, but to be honest, I finished at 5am this morning after severe insomnia, and I don't think I was totally receptive to it. Half my brain was asleep, and half was OHMYGODLETSDOEVERYTHINGRIGHTNOWANDTHINKABOUTALLTHETHINGS!!!EVER!!!

F* you, insomnia.

Nellisir

Hero
I knew I had a winner in those first few pages. I was laughing my butt off!
I want to tell people it's a book told by a liar, but the liar always tells people he's a liar, and that he's lying, but his lies are so excellent, everyone always decides to treat his lies as truth even though they know they're lies.

Nellisir

Hero
I just read The Manual of Detection, by Jedediah Berry. Pretty good, 4/5.

I'm wicked hungry for some good hard sf, though, and I'm out of it on the unread shelves, so I dug into a box and got out A Deepness in the Sky. Book sale is in a month; I want to hit the SF section SOOOO hard....<sigh>

Time to start working on lists.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Done with Doomed. Not bad but not as good as Damned. I'm still looking forward to the final book in the series, though. It's an interesting story.

Started Turgenev's Rudin. Er, not exactly. Still working on the intro. :)

SnarfQuest coming back?

Hi guys,

We just wanted to give you a heads up about a unique project that will definitely interest you. We’re bringing back legendary fantasy artist Larry Elmore’s creation, SnarfQuest, to its fans. Several versions of SnarfQuest have been published over the years but never before has every story been assembled into one comprehensive publication. Not only are we assembling every single SnarfQuest story in one easy-to-enjoy publication, we’re also digitally remastering each frame of Elmore’s fan-favorite comic.

SnarfQuest has been out of publication for over 20 years, but with this digitally remastered graphic novel, we’re hoping to not only bring the stories from your childhood back to life, but to also create an entirely new generation of SnarfQuest fans!

Larry Elmore, as you may know, is one of the biggest names in fantasy illustrations. As the first ever professional illustrator for Dungeons & Dragons, his artwork helped bring adventures to life. His art has been featured on numerous fantasy publications, from Dragonlance to Magic: The Gathering, and has influenced many of the designers of the graphic novels and video games we enjoy today.

For those who grew up reading Dragon Magazine, you can remember the senses of wonderment and awe experienced as you read about the adventures of Snarf and his friends. For six full years, fans flipped through the back pages of Dragon Magazine with bated breath, wondering what fate was in store for our dragon-like hero. Our goal with this project is twofold, to help former fans escape into the fantasy worlds of their childhood as well as give a new generation of fans the same opportunity.

In order to get this remastered graphic novel into production, SnarfQuest needs awesome fans like you to back it on Kickstarter and to help get the word out. We’d love to make Drake’s dream of bringing SnarfQuest back to life a reality.

If you’d like to hear more about this project, or already know everything you need to make a donation, head over to our Kickstarter page. I know I'm not allowed to post a link, so you can search for Imagined Interprises on Kickstarter and you'll find us!

Thanks!

(For the record, I'm certainly not trying to spam. I just wanted to make sure that the people who would care about this hear about it!)

Remove ads