• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

aquatic combat

ChefOrc

First Post
Sorry for the many and long questions, but I am quite confused by the topic of underwater combat, as presented in the DMG p.93.

1) Do monsters suffer the penalties for underwater combat (i.e. -2 to attack rolls and half damage for slashing or bludgeoning weapons)? In particular, do aquatic monsters such as the giant octopus or the black dragon suffer these penalties?

2) If so, how do you know whether to apply the penalty if the natural weapons have more than one type? For example, a bite is slashing, piercing and bludgeoning according to the MM (p.312). Does the penalty apply because the weapon is slashing, or does the penalty not apply because the weapon is piercing?

3) Concerning the chapter on underwater fights in the DMG, I cannot understand whether the intent is to have separate rules for fights where both opponents are in the water (attack and damage penalties) vs fights were a creature out of the water is attacking a creature in the water (cover bonus). It seems to me that there is no reason to separate them (any other opinion on this?). Howerver, if you stack these 2 types of modifiers, it becomes way way too hard to hit a creature underwater from outside. If you separate them, well, there does not seem to be a good explanation for why they should not apply at the same time.

4) The improved cover given to creatures in the water against creatures outside the water makes no sense to me at all. Try to imagine an aquatic creature (in the water) fighting a PC (on a dock). The creature is 5' away from the PC. Why does the cretaure get improved cover? It must be partly out of the water to attack, thus providing a target and negating part of the cover... An even worst example is for a human standing in chest-deep water fighting a PC on a dock. It is so easy to hit someone that's in the water in a case like this because they don't have mobility. Again I don't understand the improved cover. Why not use only the penalties listed in table 3.22, are they not negative enough? And if the creature is far from the surface and attacked with a ranged weapon from outside of the water, it seems to me that only applying the -2 penalty per 5' is enough ...

If nobody is able to convince me that there is a good reason for the cover rule, I am tempted to completely ignore the cover bonus, and simply apply the penalties listed in table 3.22 to all situations that involve a strike at a creature in the water, whether the attacker is in the water or not. Maybe even increase the penalty to attacks to -4, to compensate for the removal of the cover bonus. Does that make sense?

5) It seems to me that non-aquatic creatures in the water should loose their dex bonus to AC at all times. Anyone that has spent some time in a pool knows how difficult it is to react quickly in the water. I am also tempted to use that house rule. Any comments?

Tarangil

First Post
I can't quite say I'd be able to answer those (although I agree with the dex thing), But I also have another question:

What effect do Sonic based spells have underwater?

-Do they get more damage?
-or do their range or AOE get enhanced?

ChefOrc

First Post
According to the rules, only fire based spells have modified effects underwater. So sonic or electrical spells are unaffected.

However, I think that the intent of the designers was to avoid an overly complicated set of rules just for water, and I therefore don't think that having house rules that modify each effect type in the water is unbalancing. Such a set of house rules could be quite complicated though ...

Scharlata

First Post
ChefOrc said:
[...]However, I think that the intent of the designers was to avoid an overly complicated set of rules just for water, [...]

Hi!

Sad to see that even STORMWRACK - the hardcover revolving around water, underwater adventuring, and all things wet - doesn't have hard and fast rules on underwater combat more specific than the DMG. There WAS an article in a DRAGON (#197?) for 3.0 that modified underwater combat.

Good luck out there 20.000 miles under the sea...

Infiniti2000

First Post
ChefOrc said:
Sorry for the many and long questions, but I am quite confused by the topic of underwater combat, as presented in the DMG p.93.
You're not the only one. The author of the 3.0 DMG agrees. Some additional information (based on 3.0 rules) can be found by following the link in that thread, but be warned that it is a link to an RttToEE web enhancement (but the one page of rules in it does not contain any spoilers, so glance through it quickly). That said, I'll try to respond, but take my responses with a large grain of Kosher salt. I'll pull from the link in that thread, too.

ChefOrc said:
1) Do monsters suffer the penalties for underwater combat (i.e. -2 to attack rolls and half damage for slashing or bludgeoning weapons)? In particular, do aquatic monsters such as the giant octopus or the black dragon suffer these penalties?
Yes. In fact, having the swim speed obviates the need for a swim check but otherwise gives the creature no advantage. The enhancement rules (written by Skip Williams) suggest separating slash/bludgeoning damage (presumably only from manufactured weapons) claw/att damage (presumably natural weapons). My interpretation is that natural weapons from a creature with swim speed due not suffer penalties.

ChefOrc said:
2) If so, how do you know whether to apply the penalty if the natural weapons have more than one type? For example, a bite is slashing, piercing and bludgeoning according to the MM (p.312). Does the penalty apply because the weapon is slashing, or does the penalty not apply because the weapon is piercing?
I'd apply whichever is most favorable.

ChefOrc said:
3) Concerning the chapter on underwater fights in the DMG, I cannot understand whether the intent is to have separate rules for fights where both opponents are in the water (attack and damage penalties) vs fights were a creature out of the water is attacking a creature in the water (cover bonus). It seems to me that there is no reason to separate them (any other opinion on this?). Howerver, if you stack these 2 types of modifiers, it becomes way way too hard to hit a creature underwater from outside. If you separate them, well, there does not seem to be a good explanation for why they should not apply at the same time.
I think it's a good idea to separate them, but the rules as presented do not do a good enough job of it IMO.

ChefOrc said:
4) The improved cover given to creatures in the water against creatures outside the water makes no sense to me at all. Try to imagine an aquatic creature (in the water) fighting a PC (on a dock). The creature is 5' away from the PC. Why does the cretaure get improved cover? It must be partly out of the water to attack, thus providing a target and negating part of the cover... An even worst example is for a human standing in chest-deep water fighting a PC on a dock. It is so easy to hit someone that's in the water in a case like this because they don't have mobility. Again I don't understand the improved cover. Why not use only the penalties listed in table 3.22, are they not negative enough? And if the creature is far from the surface and attacked with a ranged weapon from outside of the water, it seems to me that only applying the -2 penalty per 5' is enough ...
The enhancement rules grant quarter cover to those partially submerged (as you get from a low wall) and half cover from those fully submerged. I would instead adopt the 3.5 equivalent of this and give someone partially submerged soft (half) cover (i.e. only +2). Someone fully submerged would get soft cover (not half) and normal concealment (at a minimum, possibly total concealment for murky water).

ChefOrc said:
5) It seems to me that non-aquatic creatures in the water should loose their dex bonus to AC at all times. Anyone that has spent some time in a pool knows how difficult it is to react quickly in the water. I am also tempted to use that house rule. Any comments?
Tell that to water polo players. :) I think the swim check is the way to go here. If you fail the swim check, you lose your Dex bonus to AC. Losing your Dex bonus is non-trivial, so be careful about dropping it. On the other hand, there's precedent in the climbing rules, but I think it's much easier to swim than to climb and the swim check handles it nicely.

ChefOrc

First Post
Thanks for the links and the answers. It is helping me to create my own house rules.

Does anyone know where I can find house rules (or official rules, if they exist) for casting spells underwater? It seems obvious that spells with verbal and material components will be much harder to cast underwater: a non-aquatic PC cannot precisely pronounce the magic words, and manipulating small objects or fine substances may be very hard. Any ideas on how to handle that?

Remove ads