D&D General ARcana -- Augmented TTRPG Platform from Actor Joe Manganiello

Mirrorscape, an augmented reality company which includes actor Joe Manganellio as Creative Director, is a way to view your game's tabletop in AR through a phone or tablet device. It's on Kickstarter now with a planned release at the end of this year. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mirrorscape/arcana-augmented-reality-platform-for-ttrpgs The platform works as an iOS or Android app...

Mirrorscape, an augmented reality company which includes actor Joe Manganellio as Creative Director, is a way to view your game's tabletop in AR through a phone or tablet device. It's on Kickstarter now with a planned release at the end of this year.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 3.11.11 PM.png

The platform works as an iOS or Android app, and enables you to simulate a full tabletop with models, scenery, and miniatures, anywhere you have a flat surface.

You can purchase additional terrain or miniatures from Mirrorscape's partners, which include Dwaven Forge, Reaper Minis, Hero Forge, and Fat Dragon Games.

If you pledge $30 (or more) in the Kickstarter you get a starter set and a discount on terrain and mini packs; and at higher levels you get beta access (staring at $50) and Kickstarter exclusives.

But Roll20, Fantasy Grounds and Foundry all sell themselves as more than that.
And...they are more than that. Like, I struggle a little playing in person now because VTTs make almost everything so much easier, especially as a DM. I get that some people think it's "too much overhead," but man, it's a huge quality-of-life improvement for me.

OTOH, I have no desire to build video game levels, if that's what we're talking about here. I don't care how easy the UI makes it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For me, this stuff will all kick in when its integrated into glasses. Holding up a phone or tablet is a little too awkward for my taste, but it's a step along the road. I imagine that AR glasses will become mainstream in the next few years.
I wish it were VR. Throw on my quest 2, and I can both hear and see my fellow players and DM, and the DM can lay out terrain while the PCs can control their minis.

MadArkitekt

Eternal
Epic
I
Mirrorscape, an augmented reality company which includes actor Joe Manganellio as Creative Director, is a way to view your game's tabletop in AR through a phone or tablet device. It's on Kickstarter now with a planned release at the end of this year.

View attachment 154855

The platform works as an iOS or Android app, and enables you to simulate a full tabletop with models, scenery, and miniatures, anywhere you have a flat surface.

You can purchase additional terrain or miniatures from Mirrorscape's partners, which include Dwaven Forge, Reaper Minis, Hero Forge, and Fat Dragon Games.

If you pledge $30 (or more) in the Kickstarter you get a starter set and a discount on terrain and mini packs; and at higher levels you get beta access (staring at $50) and Kickstarter exclusives.

Love the post. I’m a DM on Mirrorscape’s ARcana Discord server and post about ARcana as well, including the latest ARcana media:
D&D General - ARcana - The Augmented Reality Tabletop (ARTT) VTT app

MadArkitekt

Eternal
Epic
For me, this stuff will all kick in when its integrated into glasses. Holding up a phone or tablet is a little too awkward for my taste, but it's a step along the road. I imagine that AR glasses will become mainstream in the next few years.
Greetings and salutations from all peoples ARcana (I am a mod on their Discord server. I go by the handle MadArkitekt.)

Regarding AR glasses and VR: Mirrorscape will be integrating into various ma head-mounted displays has been on the roadmap since I stumbled across them on Kickstarter.

The team is collectively found bound by NDAs with the augmented/mixed reality product vendors.

On a monumentally high note,

I have it and and more than happy to demo the app to anyone who’d like to see what ARcana can do thus far.

I the BETA is live and the testers all have it) ARcana is supported on over 11,000 devices, both phones and tablets.

Would you all like me to host a little get together and demo what we got in real time so you know the social media vids aren’t heavily edited propaganda?

The community has assembled some absolutely mind blowing maps in the short time it’s been out and some have been using it in their campaigns to add building around physical props and minis. They’re nigh indiscernible from the real things.

If you’d like to see it in action, lemme know. Here’s a teaser of The Wachterhaus:

Attachments

• IMG_0259.MOV
    23.3 MB

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So, we're approaching the beta....(I think).....I'm curious about this. It is mobile only, though, right? Not for PC? Because I'd be a lot more interested in it for PC.....

Also, are the prices for all the add ons available somewhere? My recollection was that they were PRICEY.....(admittedly, you can use them over and over and over and over.....).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads