Arcana Cleric

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Working on some ideas for the cleric in the Arcana domain.

So far, strength is the dump stat.
Concept is a cleric of Vecna obsessed with magic
15 year old human

Suggestions? Other than maxing out Wisdom early. I was considering Magic Initiate Wizard and finding a familiar. Not sure how useful it looks. Same with Ritual caster. Other ideas welcome.

mellored

Legend
Working on some ideas for the cleric in the Arcana domain.

So far, strength is the dump stat.
Concept is a cleric of Vecna obsessed with magic
15 year old human

Suggestions? Other than maxing out Wisdom early. I was considering Magic Initiate Wizard and finding a familiar. Not sure how useful it looks. Same with Ritual caster. Other ideas welcome.
What's the rest of your party?

Magic initiate druid, for shillelagh can work well with green flameblade/booming blade.

Prism

Explorer
Arcane domain clerics can make good use out of the sword burst cantrip. They can risk getting up close with their decent hp and armour. At 8th level they can make effective use of the +wis bonus to cantrip damage on multiple opponents.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
So here I am. Thanks all or the great suggestions. Here's the possibilities I'm on for secondary stat characteristics.

Because the character is a 'wizardy' cleric, using later ASI slots for Warcaster, Magic Initiate, and perhaps Ritual Caster. or
Resilient Con and buffing Constitution for more hit points. If I was doing a wizard, I'd definitely go this way.
Then there's the wildcard of buffing either Dex or Int. The int buff is more for flavor with interesting choices like Observant, Resilient Int, and Keen Mind but that aren't optimal but might be useful situationally. I may save that for a later wizard when Int is the main stat.
Finally, is Cleric 20 worth it for the Arcana Cleric? Divine intervention always works at 20th but the last three levels of another class may be worth while depending on which stat is the main of the second class. Monk could work if Dex was buffed and he already has a high Wis for example. Thoughts?

mellored

Legend
Worry about later when you get to later. Chances are the campaign will end before 20, and if it does, you will have plenty more time to have figured it out.

That said, Arcana clerics have one of the better high level features. And beyond 17 you still get extra spell slots.

Remove ads