• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Arcana Unearthed/Evolved) Some Lovecraftian Spells, feedback please!

Merlion

First Post
Ok these spells are for the main bad guy in a game I hope to run soon. He's a magister/mage priest/archmage devoted to distant Lovecraftian thingies from Beyond, so I wanted to give him some spells with that kind of feel. The spells are unique to him. More will be coming, this is just a start.

Tentacle Burst
Conjuration (Creation) (Acid)
Level: 5 (Complex)
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close (25 feet +5 feet/level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You unleash a burst of writhing tentacles covered in acidic slime that wrap and twist around an enemy. You must make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the tentacles. If you succeed the target automatically takes 2d4 points of acid damage each round. Additionally, the target must make a grapple check opposed by your caster power check each round. If the target fails the check, they suffer constriction damage equal to 1d6+ your relevant spellcasting ability score bonus, and become entangled for that round (An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to its effective Dexterity score. An entangled creature attempting to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.) The target receives a new check each round. A character caught by the tentacles can break out with a successful Strength check (DC 15+ your spellcasting ability bonus) or Escape Artist check.
Diminished Effect: The tentacles deal only 1d6 acid damage and 1d6 constriction damage, and they cannot entangle a foe.
Heightened Effect: A target that fails its grapple check is entirely immobilized for that round, rather than merely entangled. The acid damage becomes 3d4 and the constriction damage is 2d6+spellcasting ability bonus

Eyes of the Beyond
Transmutation
Level: 4 (Complex)
Range: Personal
Target: You

This spell causes a number of large alien-looking eyes to appear in various locations on your body that grant you a number of benefits and powers.
You gain a +4 bonus to all search and spot checks, and opponents gain no bonuses from flanking you or attacking you from behind. The strange and frightening appearance of the eyes grants you a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks.
The eyes allow you to see invisible creatures and objects.
Lastly, once per casting you may fire a ray from any one of the eyes towards an enemy. You must succeed at a ranged touch attack to hit. The ray deals 5d4 points of damage, and the target must make a Fort save or be dazed for 1d3 rounds. Using this ability ends the spell.
Diminished Effect: The eyes do not allow you to see invisible things, and you may not make a ray attack.
Heightened Effect: You may use the ray attack two times. The first use does not end the spell, but the second use does.

Howl from Beyond
Evocation (Sonic, Fear, Mind-Affecting)
Level: 7 (Complex)
Range: 60 feet
Area: Cone Shaped Burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

You evoke the howls of madness that echo from beyond the stars. Everything in the area takes 10d6 points of sonic damage. Additionally, all creatures in the area must make a Will save. Those that succeed are shaken for 1d4 rounds. Those failing the save are dazed for 1d4 rounds, then shaken for 1d4 rounds.
Diminished Effect: The spell deals 10d4 points of damage, and a successful Will save negates all effects; a failed save renders targets shaken for 1d3 rounds.
Heightened Effect: The damage is 15d6 and those failing their Will save also take 1d3 points of Wisdom damage.

Rift of Insanity
Transmutation
Level: 10 (Complex)
Range: Medium (100 feet +10 feet/level)
Effect: Dimensional Rift
Duration:1 round
Saving Throw:Special
Spell Resistance:No

This spell opens a small rift into the howling vortices of the Beyond. The rift lasts only a moment or two, but the destruction created by its opening is immense. The rift does not remain open long enough for beings to come through, but the area around the rift fills with visions of the horrors that lie beyond, their howls and screams, and the terrible substance and energy of the Outside.
The terrible howls and visions strike at the minds of nearby creatures. All beings within 30 feet of the rift are automatically stunned for 1d3 rounds. Then they must make a Will save. Success indicates no further effects. On a failed save the subjects become shaken for 1d4 rounds, and take 1d4 points of Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom damage.
The energies spilling forth from beyond damage creatures and objects. Everything within a 30 foot radius takes 10d8 points of Acid damage, and 10d8 points of electricity damage. A Reflex save may be attempted against each instance of damage to reduce the damage by half.
Lastly, the poisonous mist seeping from the rift is harmful to the body. Creatures must make a Fort save or take 2 points of Constitution damage. A minute later they must make a second Fort save or take 1 point of Constitution damage
Diminished Effects: the stun becomes 1 round. Those who fail their Will saves are shaken for 1 round, and take 1 point of damage to each mental score. The acid and electricity damage become 10d6 each, and the poison does only its initial Constitution damage.

Gibbous Form
Transmutation (Acid)
Level: 8 (Complex)
Range: Personal
Target: You

You assume a form seemingly drawn from a lunatic’s nightmares. Your hair is replaced by writhing tentacles, your skin changes to a slimey nauseous green-grey, and eyes sprout all over your body.
While you remain in this form you gain a number of defenses and abilities. You gain Damage Reduction 10/-, and resistance 20 to acid, air, electricity and water attacks. The eyes covering your body grant you a +4 bonus to Search and Spot checks, and deny your enemies bonuses for flanking or attacking from behind, and lastly allow you to see invisible and ethereal creatures.
Finally, once per casting you may vomit forth a stream of steaming bile toward a single target. You must succeed at a ranged touch attack to hit. The bile deals 10d6 points of acid damage initially, and half that amount on the next round. Using this attack ends the spell.
Diminished Effect: The damage reduction is 5/-, the resistances are 10, and the acid attack deals only the initial damage of 10d6.
Heightened Effect: You also sprout slimey membranous wings that allow you to fly with good maneuverability at a speed of 40 feet.

Visions from Beyond
Illusion (Phantasm, Mind-affecting)
Level: 3 (Complex)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell fills the target’s mind with illusory visions of the horrors that lurk beyond the stars. The target must make a Will save, or be dazed for 1d4 rounds and take a -1d4 penalty to Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom for the duration of the spell.
Diminished Effects: The target is dazed for 1 round, and takes only a -1d3 penalty to mental ability scores.
Heightened Effects: A target that fails its save is also shaken for the duration of the spell.

Foetid Doomblast
Conjuration (Creation, Acid, Air)
Level: 9 (Complex)
Area: 20 foot radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw:

This spell creates a burst of stinking, poisonous acidic vapors, drawn from the seething mists of the Beyond. All creatures in the area take 10d6 points of damage, half of which is acid damage and half of which is air damage. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage to half.
Lastly, all living creatures must attempt a Fort save or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage. One minute later they must attempt a second Fort save or take 1 additional point of Con damage.
Diminished effect: The poison does only 1 initial Con damage if the subjects fail their save; there is no secondary ability damage.
Heightened Effect: The damage becomes 10d8, the initial Con damage is 1d6 and the secondary Con damage is 1d3.

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
Huh. Cthulhu/Arcana Evolved?

Well, Monte Cook did write the d20 Call of Cthulhu

Are you actually using these in a campaign? If so, how's that going? What's it like?

Like I said in the post, they are unique spells for the main villain I hope to use in a campaign I hope to run.

I am looking for mechanical critiques and opinions on the spells.

Brasswatchman

First Post
Merlion said:
Well, Monte Cook did write the d20 Call of Cthulhu

True. And I'm not saying I think it's a bad idea. It's just surprising, that's all. Then again, I've never seen Lovecraftian tricks really used in a standard D&D campaign, either.

I am looking for mechanical critiques and opinions on the spells.

Wish I could help you; but I'm sort of new to Arcana Evolved. Still, I'll be watching this thread.

Merlion

First Post
True. And I'm not saying I think it's a bad idea. It's just surprising, that's all. Then again, I've never seen Lovecraftian tricks really used in a standard D&D campaign, either.

It doesnt come up in spells to much, but a lot of D&D creatures are Lovecraftian. Also, the psionic stuff tends to have a good bit of Lovecrafty flavour, as well as anything written by Monte Cook or Bruce Cordell (that latter of which encompasses most psionic stuff).

Merlion

First Post
Yes. I already have them posted there...the responses have mainly been to tell me that I have to have my villain take a feat or something in order to use his own spells and similarly unhelpful things.

All I want is feedback on the balance of the spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads