• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Archer bonus

Borthos

First Post
Does the Arcane Archer class feature "Enhance Arrow +X" stack with the enhancement bonus on a bow? for instance, if I am a first level Arcane Archer with a +1 longbow, do I get a +2 on the attack and damage?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
In 3.0, the bonus from the bow and the arrow stacked. In 3.5, they changed that because people whined. So in 3.0 the class makes a lot more sense, in 3.5 you basically just use the class bonus for the arrows and get Holy, Shock, Seeking, etc... on the bow. The downside to this is if your DM actually has NPCs try to sunder your stuff, the lost enhancement bonuses to the bow's hardness and hit points REALLY hurts.

I really can't recommend the class, especially in 3.5, it's very weak and poorly designed.

Borthos

First Post
My DM doesn't deal with sundering and that stuff, he says it's too convoluted and doesn't like it. So without the risk of sundering, how does the class stand up?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Can you only use core, or if not, which other books? In core only, it's still a pretty subpar class, but might be ok because there's basically nothing else to do with archery. If you have other options, don't even consider it unless you like the flavor or some other reason besides optimization.

EDIT: The best core archer is probably a rogue/wizard/arcane trickster, though until you start taking levels in the prestige class, life is likely difficult. Gets almost as much sneak attack as a Rogue 20, about 2/3 casting progression over the entire build, and the tools (spells) to help obtain ranged sneak attack after the first round (grease, blink, greater invisibility, etc...)

Last edited:

Borthos

First Post
Well this isn't for any specific character per se, but I got a fun idea for an archer. Normally we only use core and the Completes, so I was thinkin of an archer who could snatch arrows out of the air and fire them back, just in case a slaying arrow is shot at me or something.

Dandu

First Post
Well this isn't for any specific character per se, but I got a fun idea for an archer. Normally we only use core and the Completes, so I was thinkin of an archer who could snatch arrows out of the air and fire them back, just in case a slaying arrow is shot at me or something.
You can't snatch more than 1 arrow/round, iirc.

Borthos

First Post
I know I can only catch one arrow per round, but it was the concept that was fun.

And a cleric build with it might be cool, never thought to use divine with it. What about any PrCl that require divine spells instead of arcane? or just archery in general? I can just take practiced spellcaster if I have to

Remove ads