• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Class - Wiccan High Priestess

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Baize

First Post
This product looks as if it begins from a false starting point, and then goes off base from there... And that's just in the description.

Is the author around?
I haven't yet bought it, and I'm considering it in order to see how far off base they are. Hehehe.

tensen

First Post
*chuckles*
I never would have thought to do a product of that sort.
I'm curious about the contents, but not enough to spend money on it. I hope to see a review of it.

Planesdragon

First Post
C. Baize said:
This product looks as if it begins from a false starting point, and then goes off base from there... And that's just in the description.
It's my understanding that wicca is a very varied relgion -- even if the author's expereince or research shows him a differnet view than what you've seen, it doesn't mean he's wrong.

If someone wrote an RPG detailing modern Christian pirests and had them limited to men, (or open to all regardless of gender or sexuality) or beliving in the trinity (or that Christ is distinct from God), or thinking that Christ was crucified on a tree (or on a cross), they'd still be "correct" -- just differnet form what a reader might be used to.

C. Baize

First Post
Okay... first let's go with mechanics...

Arcane .... Priestess?
Priestess pretty much says "Does her deity's will" ... That should be Divine, to begin.
Then the descriptor.
"Wicca, sometimes called witchcraft..." eh? By whom? Not a single one of the Wiccans I know, and I know a bunch... It's only called that by someone who hasn't a clue.
Wicca and Witchcraft are not mutually inclusive. I know plenty of Wiccans who don't practice witchcraft, and more than a few practitioners of witchcraft who aren't Wiccan. :)

I'm tempted.... really tempted to get it...
I just can't bring myself to... knowing that it has so many things wrong just from the title and description... And if he's planning to do more in the "Real Life Magic" series... Well... He needs to do some research including talking to serious practitioners.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
The author is practicing, as am I. We both agree that some of the adcopy sounds a little misleading, specifically since we both know that Wicca is not actually the continuation of these ancient religions, but a modern reinterpretation.

And sorry, but I know a lot of Wiccans who call it witchcraft. Sorry to say that *I* tend to think we have a clue. If you really think that people who haven't a clue call it witchcraft, then... I guess I had better turn in my "I have a clue" sign.

For the record, I was initiated and trained Gardnerian (first & second circle initiations), I practiced witchcraft / magick, and agree that a lot of wiccans don't practice witchcraft (although a majority of them do).

Finally, I prefer that witchcraft be arcane magic instead of divine, as it is the extension of the practiser's will, not of the deity's will. The deity in question has little to do with the magick of witchcraft, IMO.

(I also jumped all over this when it was released, but immediately emailed the author and talked about it, and we shared our experiences and comments)

C. Baize

First Post
Hellhound said:
Finally, I prefer that witchcraft be arcane magic instead of divine, as it is the extension of the practiser's will, not of the deity's will. The deity in question has little to do with the magick of witchcraft, IMO.
First... I was hoping you'd chime in. :)
I would agree that "Witchcraft" should be arcane.
Priestess, however, should be divine.

HellHound said:
And sorry, but I know a lot of Wiccans who call it witchcraft. Sorry to say that *I* tend to think we have a clue. If you really think that people who haven't a clue call it witchcraft, then... I guess I had better turn in my "I have a clue" sign.
You're the first I've ever known to do so, who practices. The other Wiccans I know (and boy do I know a fair few), absolutely differentiate between the religion of Wicca, and the practice of Witchcraft.

HellHound said:
For the record, I was initiated and trained Gardnerian (first & second circle initiations), I practiced witchcraft / magick, and agree that a lot of wiccans don't practice witchcraft (although a majority of them do).
Well, shoot... if we're going to compare initiations... My in-laws and my wife were initiated (father-in-law, pretty far along, though he doesn't talk much about it), one of my best friends was initiated through the third circle by Ed Fitch (though he no longer is Wiccan, he still practices witchcraft but is more a Galdrman and Vitki), two of my closest friends are also initiated Golden Dawn... Me? I'm just a Godhi with a reading fetish.

tensen

First Post
HellHound said:
*nods* British Traditionals usually call it such. Non-traditionalists don't always.

HellHound said:

Modern things tend to really break the arcane/divine restrictions.
I'd say it crosses based on the particulars... but in the manner it is done.. well. It too depends on the particulars. I've know those that allow the particulars to be guided in minute detail by their will... and others that chose to leave the details to whatever they may.

teitan

Legend
Man, even books on Wicca refer to it as Witchcraft, I should know, I have a massive occult book collection. Now OCCULTISTS do not refer to MAGICK as Witchcraft because there is a difference, albeit subtle. Most Wiccans I know call themselves witches, warlocks (which I don't understand as it means "traitor") etc. and refer to their ritual as the "craft" and I am not talking wannabe teeny boppers trying to shock their parents but I am talking grounded individuals who honestly accept wicca. I tend to think of it as a joke myself (no offense to any Wiccans here) as it is too open a playing field and too many of them actually believe they are practicing the rites and ceremonies of the celts, nordics etc. and that they are part of some mythical unbroken chain going back to the ancient druids.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads