• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Lock

Adjudicator

First Post
"An arcane lock spell cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it. You can freely pass your own lock without affecting it; otherwise, a door or object secured with arcane lock can be opened only by breaking in or by a successful dispel magic or knock spell. Add +10 to the normal DC to break open a door or portal affected by this spell. Note that a knock spell does not remove arcane lock. It only suppresses it for 10 minutes."

My question is this, can you set a password? So that friends and allies may pass, the speaking of the password implies permession to pass. Can the password be racial or by type instead of verbal? Only dwarves or dragons may pass.

If you cannot incorporate a password then this spell becomes extremely limited and confining inside fortified areas such as keeps or buildings and not nearly as useful.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The spell doesn't say anything about a password, therefore you can't set one. Simple enough.

If you want a more flexible spell, which can accept "trigger conditions" like Magic Mouth does, you can research it as a custom spell. A wizard in my friend's campaign did just this; now he has a third-level spell called Selective Lock.

Barcode

First Post
This is just one of the major problems I have with Arcane Lock. I also have a big problem with the fact that an 18th level ArchMage can Arcane Lock a chest, and a third level wizard can come along with a Knock spell and open it. There should be an opposed check, or a limit to the difference in caster levels.

Maybe a higher level spell should be created that allows for passwords, as well as a stronger defense against low-level casters.

hong

WotC's bitch
Barcode said:
This is just one of the major problems I have with Arcane Lock. I also have a big problem with the fact that an 18th level ArchMage can Arcane Lock a chest, and a third level wizard can come along with a Knock spell and open it. There should be an opposed check, or a limit to the difference in caster levels.

Ah, but the 18th level wizard is going to put more than just an arcane lock on something he really wants to protect....

kreynolds

First Post
hong said:
Ah, but the 18th level wizard is going to put more than just an arcane lock on something he really wants to protect....

Exactly. Such as delayed blast fireball that deals 18d8 (detonated instantly of course), disintegrate, finger of death, lightning bolt, and maybe even a max level magic missile, just to be sure. If an 18th level wizard is relying soley upon Arcane Lock to protect his possessions, well, let's just say his possessions deserve to be stolen. :)

Crothian

First Post
Barcode said:

Maybe a higher level spell should be created that allows for passwords, as well as a stronger defense against low-level casters.

It's not just the level of the caster, but the level of the spell. A second level spell can only do so much even if your a 1000th level Wizard.

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
...even if your a 1000th level Wizard.

Wow. That sucker would have an astronomicaly obscene amount of character wealth. And just think of the hit points, even if it is only a d4. ;)

Crothian

First Post
kreynolds said:

Wow. That sucker would have an astronomicaly obscene amount of character wealth. And just think of the hit points, even if it is only a d4. ;)

I'm preparing myself for the ELH. I've got to get out of the 20 level limit most people seemed to be stuck on......:D

Remove ads