• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Arcane Shot (Int mod) times per rest?

clutchbone

First Post
I'm finding the arcane archer is lacking a certain "oomph". 2 arcane shots per rest seems underwhelming, even if you don't lose it on a miss.

Would houseruling it to (int mod) times per rest be balanced in your eyes, or verging on power creep?

pukunui

Legend
I advocated for 1 + Int mod in my feedback.

Making it be just Int mod can potentially make it so you can't use Arcane Shot at all.

OB1

Jedi Master
Int Mod (Min 1) seems right. I'd do the same for Battle Master Superiority Dice. Given the trade-off with Con or your Attack Stat, it becomes the same type of problem a Paladin faces regarding how much and when to invest in Cha.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you’re following the 6-8 encounter, 2-3 short rest adventure day guidelines, the Arcane archer should be getting about one Arcane Shot per encounter. +2d6 damage with a minor bonus effect once per fight is pretty good for a Fighter Subclass. It’s got much higher average damage output than the Battlemaster with +1d8 every other encounter, though the Maneuvers have better rider effects. The subclass is theoretically well-balanced, the issue is that a lot of DMs don’t consistently follow the 6-8 encounter, 2-3 short rest guideline, which can cause Arcane Archers (and really any Class or Subclass that relies on short rest recovery) to fall behind its expected damage output. If this is the issue you are facing, I would recommend just giving them one use of Arcane Shot, and moving the Ever-Ready Shot feature to 3rd level, replacing it with a second use of Arcane Shot at 15th level. That will give you exactly the same damage output per encounter across 20 levels, but swapping the order will make that damage more consistent at early levels.

Another potential issue is that the Subclass’s design doesn’t mesh with a lot of players’ expectations of how something called an “Arcane Archer” should feel. A lot of players to whom the concept of the Arcane Archer appeals envision a character who’s got a magic arrow for every situation. But with only one Arcane Shot per encounter on average, that’s not how it plays out. Players want to be deciding “which Arcane Shot option should I use this turn?”, but the design wants you to be deciding “should I use my Arcane Shot this turn?” It really should have been called Arcane Sniper, because that’s what it’s designed to be; the character who has one extra-powerful shot that they have to plan carefully to make the most of. You can see this in the D&D Beyond interview with Mearls about it, he even mentions the sniper character from his game that the Arcane Archer was supposed to encapsulate. If this is the problem your player is having, I would recommend decreasing the damage of all Arcane Shot options by 1d6 (2d6 at 18th level) and giving them 4 uses instead of 2. You could even give them 4 more uses at 18th level instead of the damage increase if you like. That will give the same average damage output, but give the player more opportunities to use their Subclass’s defining feature.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Some good ideas there, [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION].

Personally, I think they should have left it so the archer is creating magic arrows from the get-go, they just don't get a +1 to them until, say, 7th level. That's what I advocated for in my feedback. I am bemused by the fact that they not only got rid of the +1 but also pushed the generic magic arrow up to 7th.

Changing the name to arcane sniper would've been a good idea, too, as it would have led people away from expecting the class to emulate the arcane archer of 3e. Like how they renamed the favored soul to stop people complaining about how it wasn't like the 3e version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads