• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Slayer...? (or something?!)

malien

First Post
Just putting together a character for a friend's campaign... we're at about 11th lvl (I'm a late entry) and as I was looking to put my character together, I came across the idea of... for lack of a better term, a mage assassin.

Now, I know what you're saying 'hey, assassin has arcane spells, you n00b! Use that!' But I'm looking to see if anyone knows of feats/spells/PrC that would fit this archetype of an arcane spellcaster that sulks about, but focuses more on spells and shadow-y forces and the like, rather than sneak attack or a death attack.

I guess the idea is, while to have some basic skill in hide/move silenty and that sort of thing, the character gets by more with the bent of his arcane abilities, then anything else.

The one thought I /did/ have was that the Illusionist variants in Unearthed Arcana was pretty close to the sort of thing I was looking at...

Any thoughts?

Thanee

First Post
Well, Mage Slayer, albeit rather crappy on the mechanical side, would be an obvious choice. You find it, and the other anti-magic-user feats in Complete Arcane.

There is also a PrC (Occult Slayer, I think) in Complete Warrior (?).

Bye
Thanee

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Well, Mage Slayer, albeit rather crappy on the mechanical side, would be an obvious choice. You find it, and the other anti-magic-user feats in Complete Arcane.

There is also a PrC (Occult Slayer, I think) in Complete Warrior (?).

I think he is looking for an Assassin that casts spells, not an Assassin that kills mages.

Snowy

Explorer
daggerspell mage?

lots of spells, sneak attack for the murdering and fairly good skills for the sneaking and the lieing and the making of poisons.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Spellthief? Base class from Complete Arcane...

What about your basic Bard? C'mon, no one would expect that! A Bard as an assassin? LOL

Caliban

Rules Monkey
malien said:
Just putting together a character for a friend's campaign... we're at about 11th lvl (I'm a late entry) and as I was looking to put my character together, I came across the idea of... for lack of a better term, a mage assassin.

Now, I know what you're saying 'hey, assassin has arcane spells, you n00b! Use that!' But I'm looking to see if anyone knows of feats/spells/PrC that would fit this archetype of an arcane spellcaster that sulks about, but focuses more on spells and shadow-y forces and the like, rather than sneak attack or a death attack.

I guess the idea is, while to have some basic skill in hide/move silenty and that sort of thing, the character gets by more with the bent of his arcane abilities, then anything else.

The one thought I /did/ have was that the Illusionist variants in Unearthed Arcana was pretty close to the sort of thing I was looking at...

Any thoughts?

Arcane Trickster from the DMG
Daggerspell mage from the Complete Adventurer

Iku Rex

Explorer
The basic arcane assasin type would be a Rog1/Wiz5/Ass1/ArcTrX

As an 11th level character you'll have +4d6 sneak attack, death attack, poison use, rogue skills and other rogue-ish abilities. At the same time you'll only be one spell level behind a regular wizard.

If you want something less like a regular assassin, some sort of Monk1/Sorcerer with the Ascetic Mage (CAdv) feat would be cool. You could stack up on buffs to create a super-powered monk, or pick a "master of shadows" themed spell list.

Go master transmogrifist (PrC, CArc) for a shape-shifting menace to society.

A pure wizard or sorcerer is also possible, with the right spells.
Some general advice...

You can use spells for your offense, but as a rule there's not that much point in sneaking up on someone only to start blasting away with fireballs. Melee is the way to go IMO.

Feats:
Power Attack - Make your hits count. Works well with wraithstrike (CAdv).
Arcane Strike - Asassins must be able to kill their target quickly. Works well with natural weapons.
Stilled/Silent Spell
Able Learner (Races of Destiny) - Lets you buy (or even max out, if you multi-class) some cheap sneaky skills, especially if the arcane component is Int-based.

I have quite a few suggestions for spells (the most important bit) but some better idea about what you have in mind would help. Does the character have a theme beyond "sulking about and focussing on spells and shadowy forces"? :) Is he evil? Is it a published campaign setting, or DM homebrew? (I'm asking because a monk/sorcerer/shadow adept follower of Shar would be very appropriate in the Forgotten Realms.) How do you feel about a polymorph-based character?

Last edited:

Remove ads