• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane spellcasting based on wisdom

Zebediah Magus

First Post
I’m working on a multiclassed divine/arcane spellcaster, and wondered about ways to base your arcane spells on wisdom, instead of Int or Cha.

So, what do you people have up your sleeves?

rgard

Adventurer
Zebediah Magus said:
I’m working on a multiclassed divine/arcane spellcaster, and wondered about ways to base your arcane spells on wisdom, instead of Int or Cha.

You could go the opposite route and cast divine based int instead. The archivist does that I believe.

The archivist is from one to the WotC sups, but is on their website for free.

Not sure of the other way around.

Thanks,
Rich

Zebediah Magus

First Post
rgard said:
You could go the opposite route and cast divine based int instead.

I believe that would be easier, but the base of this build will probably be the cleric class, since I'm interested in the domains, turning undead and all those nice features. Wisdom will have to be the highest ability score.

Trouvere

Explorer
Zebediah Magus said:

The Dark Hunter prestige class casts arcane spells using Wisdom, and gets up to 4th level spells.

Zebediah Magus

First Post
Trouvere said:
The Dark Hunter prestige class casts arcane spells using Wisdom, and gets up to 4th level spells.

Interesting class, but I was aiming at a cleric/wizard devote to Wee Jas. He would be a kind of a studious necrologist, but I'm avoiding any variant classes (such as necromancer types or archivist) because I'd rather keep the cleric class features.

The difficulty I'm facing is finding a feat or a prestige class that enable wizard casting ruled by wisdom instead of intelligence.

Trouvere

Explorer
Zebediah Magus said:
The difficulty I'm facing is finding a feat or a prestige class that enable wizard casting ruled by wisdom instead of intelligence.
I suppose he could repeatedly take the Arcane Disciple feat for 1 Wisdom-dependent spell from a cleric domain per spell level per day, cast from one of his arcane class spell slots. Pretty gimpy, though.

frankthedm

First Post
Zebediah Magus said:
Why yes, that should be difficult. An Arcane caster should not be able to One-dip a level of monk and tie his casting stat to his AC. Clerics and druids can pull it off, but they could have used good old fashioned armor and shields for a better AC most of the time.

Trouvere

Explorer
Trouvere said:
I suppose he could repeatedly take the Arcane Disciple feat for 1 Wisdom-dependent spell from a cleric domain per spell level per day, cast from one of his arcane class spell slots. Pretty gimpy, though.
Okay... so suppose you go Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 10 / X 4, or something similar. Taking Practised Spellcaster twice, that leaves 7 feats available. Spend 4 or 5 of those on Arcane Disciple (a domain of Wee Jas). I guess you could end up with Death, Law, Domination, Inquisition, Pride. Whatever. Add your X levels to Wizard, so you end with casting as a Wiz17, Cleric 13. By the time you're 9th level or so, you'll have at least 2 Arcane Disciple feats, depending on the order you take them in, and you'll be casting as a Wizard 6, with 3rd level spells as your highest (ouch). Beyond that, your Arcane Disciple feats will keep ahead of your spell levels, so you won't need Int to be any higher than 14 or 15. You still get those higher level Wizard slots, even though you can't prepare normal Wizard spells in them (but that doesn't matter since you'll be casting cleric domain spells using Wisdom from them). With 4 Arcane Disciple feats, you'll have enough options to fill in all those higher slots from your domains. For added fun, go cloistered cleric to pick up the Knowledge domain, and use the Divine Magician variant, to pick up some actually useful Wizard spells for your cleric list. It's very ugly, but it does what you want, I think.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Zebediah Magus said:

Unfortunately, there is no full arcane-casting class that has casting based on Wisdom, and no feat that allows you to swap casting stats. I've looked quite a bit, too. :)

Gnome

First Post
frankthedm said:
Why yes, that should be difficult. An Arcane caster should not be able to One-dip a level of monk and tie his casting stat to his AC. Clerics and druids can pull it off, but they could have used good old fashioned armor and shields for a better AC most of the time.

I'm guessing then that you're not a fan of the "Ascetic Mage" feat from CAdv? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads