Arcanis: Gonnes, Sons, and Treasure Runs (COMPLETED)

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 1m: The Sea Lord’s Palace

The music came to a sudden halt as a man wearing a long, brown robe tied by a dirty rope-belt shuffled into the room. He wore the green mask of a yawning serpent.

Vlad and Beldin nodded to each other from across the room and began shoving their way through the crowd towards the intruder.

People move aside as the stranger reached the center of the room. In a raspy voice, he spoke. “Heed me well! The words of an old man should not be ignored. In the ancient scriptures of Yig, it is written:

The Yellowed Sign once again shall appear.
Then the time for Yig’s revenge will be near.
As the finger of evil rises toward heaven,
One must pay heed to the calling of his brethren.
Search below the waves for that which was unmade,
And return with the Serpent carved of Jade.
When the madness is unleashed upon the land,
The icon of jade alone shall stand.
The end of the creature from outside
Contained within the Serpent deep inside.”

The masked man took in the room with a sweep of one hand. “Remember these verses well, citizens of Freeport. The prophecies of Yig do not lie.”

Then he turned into a snake. A guard stepped forward to stab the serpent with a spear, but it vanished in a puff of smoke.

Thuron caught up to Vlad and grabbed him by the elbow. “That was no accident. I may be able to interpret that prophecy, but I must return to the Temple of Althares to do some research first. Meet me there.” The disguised ssanu made his way towards the exit.

Drac shouted a command and the band struck up a tune. Many of the party guests seemed to determine to resume their festivities.

Beldin met Vlad at the door. Ilmarė pulled a half-dressed Kham behind her.

“Time to go,” she said.

“But I was busy,” grumble Kham. He blew a kiss to Margy.

“I know what kind of busy that was,” said Ilmarė. “And we’re after a different kind of serpent. Let’s go.”

And with that, she half-dragged Kham out of the ballroom.

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 2: Gareth the Old Sea Dog

Kham stood before a two-story building made of wood, with three windows facing the street on each floor.

”Well, we’re at 45 Masthead Lane, so this must be the place.”

“And we’re sure this Gareth knew Black Dog?” asked Vlad.

Kham shrugged. “Thuron believes Black Dog the pirate found the entrance to a sunken ssanu temple.”

“That assumes that the temple hasn’t been swept out to sea,” said Ilmarė.” And that the Jade Serpent of Yig is still within it.”

“Only one way to find out,” said Kham. The knocker on the door was carved in the shape of a three-masted ship. He used it to knock on the door three times.

A moment later, the door creaked open a crack. A squinty-eyed elderly man in his seventies hobbled up to the opening. He had a huge scar across his left eye.

“Who be it?”

“We’re here to—“

“Nay interested!” The door slammed shut.

Kham sighed. He looked at Ilmarė. “You’ve got breasts. You talk to him.”

“What?”

Kham stepped sideways and nudged Ilmarė towards the door. She glared over her shoulder at the val. Then she knocked.

The door creaked open again. “I told ye I don’t want…” The old man’s tone changed as he took in Ilmarė’s form. “Well, hello thar lass. What can I do fer ye?”

Ilmarė sighed. “We’d like to speak to you about Black Dog’s Caves.”

“O’ course ye do. Well, come in then.”

Gareth turned and hobbled away from the door. His left leg was replaced with a peg. Gareth walked with the help of a crutch under one arm.

“I know what ye wants. 't’s th' booty o' Black Dog 'tis. I reckon me days wi' th' lad well. We frightened ever' merchant from here t' th' mainland. Heh! Them be th' days!”

He grunted and groaned as he led them to a small, cramped room, with just one stool. Gareth hopped up onto it.

“O' course me accident set me back fer a while. I fell through th' riggin' ye know. Damn near broke me back, I did. That’s why I be havin' t' use this crutch an' all. Now I be getting’ old, an' I don’t be havin' much treasure.

“I know where this is going,” said Kham. He fished around in one of his many belt pouches.

“I could tell ye 'ere th' caves be, but what good would that do me? I be only a poor, old jack wi' a half-broken back an' nay much treasure left. Can ye spare some coin fer a crippled, old man? I won’t steer ye wrong.”

Kham took out two bullets and placed them on the remaining stool. Gareth squinted at the bullets in confusion.

Ilmarė put one hand out. “I don’t think that’s necessary.” She turned back to Gareth. “You seem ill at ease.” She smiled a dazzling smile. “I would like to sing for you, with your permission.”

Gareth seemed surprised. He nodded his assent.

Ilmarė sang. Her voice soared. Higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dared to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into the drab little cage of Freeport and made the walls dissolve away...and for the briefest of moments—every last man in Old City felt free.

Gareth and Vlad wiped tears from their eyes. Kham adjusted his lenses. Beldin just snorted in disbelief at the whole thing.

“I be havin' nay idee what ye jus' sang about,” said Gareth. “Truth be, I dasn't want t' know. Some things be best left unsaid. But I like t' think ye be singin' about somethin' so beautiful that 't canna be expressed in words, an' 't makes me heart ache on accoun' o' o' 't.”

Gareth leaned forward and patted Ilmarė’s hand. “Thank ye very much. Now, th' trick t' findin' th' caves be th' tides. Ye be havin' t' go only a wee miles west along th' coast until ye be seein' two tall stones stickin' up ou' o' th' water. They be tall, almost a full mast high. When th' tides be low, a cave will appear on th' isle, arrr. All ye be havin' t' do be get yer boat in th' cave. Once inside, I can’t be much help t' ye. I be nere let inside, but I know 't’s dangerous. Black Dog sure did love his booty!”

They thanked Gareth and stepped out of his ramshackle home.

“That was beautiful,” said Vlad to Ilmarė. “What did you sing about?”

“It was actually a satire about farmers,” she said. “Not that he could tell the difference, since he doesn’t speak elorii.”

“See?” said Kham. “Never underestimate the power of breasts.”

Ilmarė smacked him upside the head.

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 3: A Swift-Moving Current

The tunnel beyond the cave entrance was narrow and damp. Water dripped from the ceiling, and the sound of the surf echoed all around them.

“Nice of Baldric to let us borrow his boat,” said Vlad.

Beldin held on for dear life as they entered the partially submerged tunnel. Kham held the rudder while Vlad rowed. Ilmarė stood at the prow.

“Yeah,” said Kham. “Well, Baldric’s got his eyes on the Captain’s Council. The more Councilors we eliminate, the more likely he’ll have a shot at getting elected to one of the open slots.”

After traveling a short distance, the sound of rushing water became deafening as their boat began to move quickly in a swift current.

“Hold on!” shouted Kham.

The tunnel wound to the left and then back the right as the boat careened wildly down into darkness. The rowboat slammed hard into a rock in the water. The boat jerked sideways.

There was a SPLOOSH!

“Beldin?” asked Kham from the back.

Beldin blinked and looked over the edge. “That wasn’t me.”

Ilmarė’s reply could be heard further down the tunnel. “Kham, you are the worst sailor ever.”

Last edited:

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 4: The Watcher

The boat was thrust out of the narrow tunnel and into a large chamber. Stalactites dotted the ceiling at least fifty feet above the surface of a dark, underground lake. There were tunnels leading out of the chamber on either side. Another tunnel was barely visible at the far end of the cavern. Two beaches flanked the tunnel to the left.

“There’s something glittering on that beach.” Beldin pointed to the closest beach.

“Forget the beach,” shouted Vlad. He threw a lasso out to the elorii, who was treading water. “Grab Ilmarė!”

Two eddies of water plowed right towards her from either side of the lake.

“Grab the rope Ilmarė!” Vlad and Beldin took hold.

Ilmarė slipped the rope around her waist. “Got it.”

“Okay, now we’re going to—“

Vlad and Beldin were both nearly yanked out of the boat as Ilmarė disappeared into the murky depths.

“PULL!” shouted Vlad.

Milandisian and dwarf yanked hard on the rope. Ilmarė appeared, sputtering.

“Are you two trying to tear me in half? There’s something trying to eat me down there!”

“PULL!” shouted Vlad. Ilmarė was unceremoniously flopped up onto the prow of the boat.

“Well, at least you're safe—“

WHAM! The boat spun around in lazy circles as the boat hit something, hard.

“Kham…” said Ilmarė.

“Don’t look at me.” Kham peered down into the water. “There are no rocks in this part of the lake.

“Your friends aren’t giving up so easily,” Vlad said to Ilmarė.

Ilmarė shook out her hair. “That’s very helpful, thanks.”

“Make for the shore,” said Bledin. “I saw something glittering over there.”

Kham turned the rudder hard. “I don’t know about this guys. You can’t just figure that’s the Jade Serpent of Yig sitting out on the beach.”

WHAM! The boat nearly tipped over that time.

“Do you have a better idea?” asked Ilmarė.

Kham shrugged.

“Then Beldin, Vlad,” Ilmarė said, taking her bow from the boat and knocking an arrow. “Row like your lives depend on it!”

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 5: The Shining Saber

As they rowed closer to the beach, they could see what was glittering from far off. It was a saber, stuck in the sand. The saber appeared to be untarnished, and it reflected light.

“Uh, guys,” said Kham. “I really think this is a bad idea.”

The boat thumped against the beach as it landed. Whatever was in the lake had decided to leave them alone for the moment.

“It’s just a saber,” said Beldin. He hopped out of the boat, happy to be on dry land.

“It’s not the saber I’m worried about.” Kham pointed at the beach. The beach was littered with skeletons, some of which still wore rusted armor and wielded corroded weapons. “That’s nature’s way of letting you know that you shouldn’t mess with shiny things on beaches.” He patted Fleshripper in its scabbard. “Trust me, I speak from personal experience.”

Beldin harrumphed. “It’ll be a dark day before a dwarf becomes afraid of picking up a ready blade.” He yanked the saber out of the corpse it was sticking out of. He held it up, waiting for the corpse to react.

Nothing happened. Beldin kicked the skull and it rolled into the water’s edge. “See? Nothing.”

Then he heard the babbling. It was a persistent muttering whine that threatened to upend Beldin’s universe. He had a brief, irrational moment where he seriously wanted to run himself through with the saber.

“Dîn!” shouted Ilmarė. All became silent.

Beldin looked down at the sword. If it had been the blade, the elorii’s magic shut it up.

The dwarf looked up at his companions, still on the boat. They were gesturing frantically and pointing behind him.

He whirled, only to stare straight into the face of madness itself. A wafting cloak of darkness in the vague shape of a death shroud undulated before him. It reached out and through him…

And then he was Black Dog’s first mate, Ironfoot. He saw Ironfoot slowly become warped with paranoia, convinced that everyone was out to steal the saber from him. Eventually, it made him so paranoid that he killed his lover, Isabella. Overcome with grief, Ironfoot killed himself by driving the saber through his chest.

Beldin shook his head. Vlad had lassoed a rope around him and they were dragging him away from the beach. They were mouthing something, but the magical silence prevented him from hearing it.

Then he left the sphere.

“Drop the saber!”

“Drop it!”

“Drop the saber you greedy idiot!”

Beldin tossed the saber back onto the beach. The apparition didn’t follow him, wailing silently over the weapon.

Vlad pushed with one of the oars and they were back in the underground lake, safe and away from the madness, if only for a moment.

Kham looked down at Fleshripper and shivered. “I have got to get rid of this thing.”

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 6: Illusion Trap

They emerged from a narrow tunnel into a large, natural cavern. A slim strip of beach lay along the far wall. Ten large, ironbound chests sat on the sand.

“I’ll go this time,” said Ilmarė. Beldin was still weak from the attack, confused and muttering to himself about a woman named Isabella.

“Once again,” said Kham, “THAT is a sign that we should not go onto this beach.” He pointed at a skeleton that lay half in the water and half on the beach. Its arms were stretched longingly toward the chests.

“We need to find the Jade Serpent of Yig,” said Ilmarė. “And I don’t see how we’re going to do it by sitting in the boat.”

Kham shrugged. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Ilmarė huffed. “Fine. You warned me. Now, I’m off to find the statue.” She hopped out of the boat onto the beach.

A blast of electricity arced from the wall behind the chests, sizzling the elorii. She fell backwards into the water.

When she arose, her hair was frizzed out in all directions. Ilmarė put one finger up. “Not a word. Not ONE word.”

Kham wisely didn’t say anything.

Ilmarė took another step onto the beach, but this time nothing happened. When she reached for the chests, her hand went right through them.

“An illusion!” she shrieked. “I don’t believe this!”

“Well, actually,” said Kham, “we did believe it or we wouldn’t have fallen for the trap in the first place.”

Ilmarė clambered back into the boat and crossed her arms. “I hope Black Dog’s really dead. Because if he isn’t, I’m going to kill him.”

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 7: Deadly Spikes

A huge, natural chamber loomed before them. Sand filled the floor of the chamber, and the water lapped against it rhythmically.

“Okay,” said Vlad, “so according to Kham, this beach is also trapped.” He nodded toward the right.

Near the shore off to the right was a skeleton impaled by a large stake jutting up out of the sand. As more of the chamber came into view, they could see at least two more skeletons impaled the same way.

“Spike traps,” said Kham. “Buried in the sand.”

“Great,” Ilmarė smoothed down her hair again. “Since you’re the expert on traps, you tell us what to do.”

Kham took off his lenses and polished them on his jacket. “I’m an expert at avoiding traps, not setting them off. That’s Beldin’s job.”

“Okay!” said Beldin. He stepped off of the boat.

“No, Beldin wait!” shouted Vlad.

The dwarf squinted to his right. “I think I see the outline of a secret door.” He began to wander over to it.

FWHIP! A long stake sprang up to the left of Beldin.

“Beldin, stop moving!”

FWHIP! A long stake sprang up to the right of him. The dwarf continued, heedless of all warnings.

“I think that ghost rattled his brain,” said Kham.

FWHIP! Another stake would have impaled him in the head, had he been the same height as a human. Beldin touched on the wall and part of it slid away.

“Yep, it’s a secret door all right,” he said with one too many nods.

Vlad and Ilmarė glared at Kham.

“What? He found the secret door, didn’t he?”

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 8: Black Dog’s Treasure

When the huge door was opened, a low moan seemed to come from the walls of the chamber itself. There were nine chests lining the walls.

“Finally,” said Beldin. “This must be the real treasure!”

Vlad pulled out his crossbow. “Careful Beldin. Stand behind me.”

The dwarf looked over at him in irritation. “Why should I?”

“Because you’re not feeling well,” said Ilmarė. “And your judgment seems to be impaired.”

“That’s ridiculous,” said Beldin.

The moaning continued until suddenly a figure rose up through the floor, glowing with an eerie, greenish light. He wielded a saber, wore tall boots, a long frock coat, and a hat with a feather in it.

“So that’s what Black Dog looks like,” said Kham. “It’s just an illusion, ignore it.”

Floating in the center of the room, the apparition pointed its saber at Kham and spoke in a loud, booming voice: “Who dares disturb th' booty o' Black Dog? Ye cannot hope t' stand before me! Leave now, an' nay harm will come t' ye. Stay t' seek yer fortune, an' ye be doomed t' everlastin' damnation!”

Kham rolled his eyes. “Very convincing. He’s harmless.” Kham stepped around the specter and walked towards one of the chests.

The specter growled and floated over to Kham.

“Kham,” said Ilmarė, “I’m not so sure—“

The specter swung its saber at Kham’s head. It bounced off an invisible shield. The val didn’t seem to notice.

With a roar, Beldin charged forward with his axe. Vlad fired his crossbow. Ilmarė unleashed a barrage of arrows from the shortbow that once belonged to the ssanu cultist K’Ral.

“Now how to get these chests open,” Kham muttered to himself as his comrades engaged the specter.

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 9: The Serpent Portal

The boat landed on a beach facing a wide, curved, jade wall covered by a mural depicting two ssanu in red robes, standing on the summit of a jade tower shaped in the form of a coiled snake. The hands of the ssanu were raised to the sky, and far below a throng of serpent people looked on.

“Well, Black Dog’s treasure didn’t have the statue,” said Vlad. “So I really hope it’s behind this door.”

Between the two robed figures was an enormous, stone doorway. In the center of the door, a bas-relief cobra was carved out of the green stone. The mouth of the cobra jutted out further than the rest of the relief, its fangs bared as if ready to strike. Beneath the cobra was writing in some strange script.

Ilmarė scanned the text. “It reads, ‘All those who would enter the temple must pass the test of the fangs. Reach into the mouth of Yig, and your courage will be rewarded.’”

Beldin stepped up to it. “Obviously, this is a trap only a dwarf can handle. I’m sure it’s poisoned.” He thrust his hand into the serpent’s mouth.

“What the hell are you doing?” shouted Vlad.

“YAAA!” Beldin jerked his arm out of the door, flailing backwards. A stream of green liquid sprayed from the serpent’s mouth into Beldin’s face.

“Beldin!” shouted Ilmarė. “Are you all right?”

The dwarf was pale. “Contact poison,” he whispered, licking his lips. “Tastes like…dragon bile.”

“Great. Half his mind was gone already.” Ilmarė helped the dwarf to his feet. “Now he’s poisoned.” She glared at Kham. “This is all your fault.”

“My fault? I didn’t tell him to touch the door!”

“You know he’s not right in the head!” she shouted. “He keeps opening traps because he thinks he’s the only one brave enough to withstand them.” She looked back at the dwarf, whose eyes were glazed over. Ilmarė patted Beldin’s hand. “I’m starting to think he’s right,” she said softly.

Vlad took an antidote from his belt pouch and poured it down Beldin’s throat. “He’s the toughest dwarf I know,” said Vlad. “He’ll make it.”

“Oh, fine, fine.” Kham rolled up one sleeve. “I’ll do it.” He walked up to the door and took a deep breath. “Here goes everything.”

Kham thrust his arm into the serpent’s mouth. It felt as if the jaws of the serpent were closing over his arm. Pain shot up through his fingertips and pulsed at his shoulder. Kham’s fingertips brushed the edge of a doorknob. He strained his fingertips outward.

Every instinct screamed for him to remove his arm. It felt as if the flesh were peeling off his bones. Then he got hold of the doorknob. He turned it hard and the door opened.

Kham jerked his hand out of the serpent’s mouth. His hand was fine.

“Dwarves have stubby arms,” said Kham. “Maybe I should stick to taking care of the traps from now on.”

talien

Community Supporter
Madness in Freeport - Part 10: The High Altar of Yig

They emerged from the water into a circular room. Spaced along the walls every ten feet were carved serpent heads with balls of glowing light between their fangs. To your left was another ramp leading down. A marble altar carved with serpents sat in the center of the wall. Numerous large, round pillows were spread about on the floor of the room. They gave the place a damp, musty smell.

Vlad shook his head to get the water out of his ears. “Well, at least we have something to show for our efforts this time,” he said. He held up a golden chain with an amulet shaped like a serpent’s head.

“This place is haunted by a lot of old memories,” said Kham. “I’m surprised we haven’t encountered more.”

“Speaking of spirits…” Ilmarė nodded towards a barely visible shape in front of the altar.

The ghostly ssanu’s head jerked up. It turned to them in a low, moaning voice, its words in a heavily accented version of the common tongue. “At lasst. At lasst living ssoulss are come to help uss. Yesss. Help uss you can. Alissstar is my name, and the high priest I wass of thiss temple.”

“So uh, Alissstar,” Vlad had his longsword out, still dripping wet from the watery chamber they traversed to get to the altar room, “you’re not going to attack us like the others?”

“Not I,” said Alissstar. “The othersss are filled with rage. Ssince the day of desstruction, me and my brethren have wandered thesse hallss. Doomed to exisst for all time. Doomed to live with our failure. Yig has abandoned uss!”

Ilmarė squeezed water out one of her sleeves. “Serves you right for enslaving my people.”

“But you can help. Yess, you can. Do as I wissh, and I will give you what you sseek.”

“And what you wish is…?” asked Kham.

“If I can complete a ritual to Yig, it will lift the curssse. To accomplisssh thisss, I must have four itemsss: the Amulet of the Ssserpent which I sssee you have found already, the Fangsss of the Ssserpent, the Venom of the Ssserpent, and the Ssscales of the Ssserpent.”

“And in return you will give us the Jade Serpent of Yig?” asked Vlad.

“Yesss.”

“Why should we trust you?” asked Ilmarė. “Who’s to say you won’t just disappear with the artifacts once we find them?”

“We mussst trussst each other.”

“Uh huh,” said Kham. “Fine.”

Vlad threw the amulet to Alissstar. It flew right through him and landed on the altar. “Oops, sorry,” said Vlad.

“Where are these artifacts anyway?” asked Ilmarė, rubbing her temples.

“I do not know their exact locationsss,” replied Alissstar. “I sssuggessst you asssk the other priessstsss you meet in the temple.”

“You’ve been down here for hundreds—maybe thousands—of years,” Ilmarė began to pace. “You’ve basically got nothing to do with yourself but mope around down here. These four artifacts are the only things that can put you to eternal rest. And YOU DON’T KNOW WHERE THEY ARE?” Ilmarė threw up her hands. “Now I know why the elorii overthrew your people,” she shouted. “Because you’re a bunch of idiots!”

She stalked out of the room and down the ramp.

Vlad smiled sheepishly at Alissstar. “She’s been having a bad day. We’ll bring the artifacts back to you soon.”

Remove ads