Starfinder [Arcanum of the Stars] "Dragonstarfinder"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
FYI, there is a power group in Arcanum of the Stars known as the Shadow Imperium. I haven't detailed much about it (other than ideas floating around in my brain). The basic idea is that there is a powerful planar empire that exists in the Plane of Shadow. It's power centers around a powerful Shadow Emperor that has nearly as much power as Emperor Mezzenbone, but that it is more clandestine in nature. While the Red Emperor knows of the Shadow Imperium, he doesn't know the true nature of it and it's power base. (If he did, he'd be more worried about it.)

There are strong connections between the Shadow Imperium and many Outlands worlds, as many worlds seek allies against the Dragon Empire wherever possible. The connection to Toril is quite strong, but very hidden. Your PCs wouldn't know about it's leaders, although if Sil is a sombra, she could have a connection to it (although likely unknowingly). The shades of Toril are a type of sombra but slightly different. Sombra on Toril are rare but not unheard of. They are often mistaken for tieflings and other planetouched races. :D

Some of the sombra scattered throughout the Outlands don't even really know their origins.

There are sombras in the Dragon Empire and many of them worked for the ISPD before the Red Emperor reorganized it to put drow firmly in control of that secret police force. Many sombra left the ISPD or were pushed out, if not evilly inclined. When the drow don't want to be involved in something dangerous and public, they often send in a sombra operative with questionable morals. Those sombra with good hearts tend to work for other organizations that keep the ISPD in check. Of course, there are other sombra out there who prefer to keep to the shadows and take what the universe gives them (and some things that it doesn't). Sombra traders are often infamous.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm! I like the idea of Silhouette being more 'shadetouched' than 'fiendtouched,' but the Sombra race as written is kind of the exact opposite of what'd work well for a Beguiler. :)

Tis no big deal though, tiefling will work fine. Pathfinder gives a lot of variant tieflings as well, so there's plenty to work with.

Is the Shadow Weave still a thing, and if so do we want to import the feats required to use it? Those would have to be adapted to Pathfinder.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hm! I like the idea of Silhouette being more 'shadetouched' than 'fiendtouched,' but the Sombra race as written is kind of the exact opposite of what'd work well for a Beguiler. :)

Tis no big deal though, tiefling will work fine. Pathfinder gives a lot of variant tieflings as well, so there's plenty to work with.
Yeah, the -2 to Int doesn't really work for a Beguiler. I was thinking of changing it to be either -2 Int or -2 Wis, but I'm not sure.

Shayuri said:
Is the Shadow Weave still a thing, and if so do we want to import the feats required to use it? Those would have to be adapted to Pathfinder.
Yes, the Shadow Weave is still a thing, so we'll need to import any feats that you want Sil to use. Of course, we can try to find similar feats in the PF Reference document and tweak them instead, but I haven't looked at things like that yet. I'd say just do the conversion.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
here's a search through the PRD for the word shadow: link. There is the Shadow School, which could be useful for Sil, as well as the feat Shadow Caster, which wouldn't be just for drow. You should also look at the Fetchling race. It is to Pathfinder what shades and shadar-kai are to D&D. We just reskin the race to be a type of sombra. I have to read it in depth, first.

EDIT: At the very least, the sombra's ability scores would change to match the fetchling: +2 Dex, +2 Cha, –2 Wis (with an option for –2 Int). The race would be as tough as Buddha's version, but it could work better for Silhouette.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Arr...and there are archetypes of the Beguiler that use Charisma instead of intelligence...or optional rules for 'de-Guilding' beguilers and making Charisma their default stat.

Which could work, as incorporating a 'Guild of Beguilers' was going to force some fairly significant changes to Silhouette's background.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ah, here we go. Here's some stuff about converting Forgotten Realms to Pathfinder. There's a post about the Shadow Weave feats.
Yes, I'd saved a link to that here. That should be our go to pathfinder conversion material for the Realms unless we find something better or if there is something official for PF that does roughly the same thing as those class and feat options (which I doubt exists).

Later on there's a writeup for Shadow Adept too, but it's a bit underwhelming unless you go pretty far into it. Not sure if I'll want to do that, if we're using this version of the Beguiler.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12986507&postcount=24
This is the version of the beguiler we should use. It's highly detailed. I had linked to it already but maybe you missed it. Or is that the one to which you are referring?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shadow Feats (quick conversion of preqs for SF)

Insidious Shadow Magic
Prerequisite: Mysticism 14 Ranks*, Shadow Weave magic.
* Or maybe only 2/3rds of that.

Shadow Weave Magic
Prerequisite: Mysticism 2 ranks, Character Level 1st.

Tenacious Shadow Magic
Prerequisites: Mysticism 5 ranks, Shadow Weave Magic.

Weave Hunter
Prerequisites: Mysticism 5 Ranks, Shadow Weave Magic

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
That's the one I was referring to, yep. :)

Here's a sample writeup of Silhouette, using the Charisma reflavoring option in that PDF, where the 'guild' features are more like innate abilities. There's a few parts that would need GM adjudication, such as the number of skill points, and possible changes to Guild-centric abilities like Charlatan Cant and so on; these are noted on the sheet. It does give a sense of what's possible though.

Most of Silhouette's 3.5e inventory doesn't translate to Pathfinder, so I just started from scratch with it, keeping the same 56,000gp starting cash.

I might take a level of Shadow Adept instead of a 14th Beguiler level...but then again, might just start Shadow Adept with future levels.

[sblock]Name: Silhouette
Race: Fetchling
Class/Level: Beguiler 14
Exp: 0

Strength (STR) 8
Dexterity (DEX) 18 (5) +2 racial, +2 magic
Constitution (CON) 14 (5)
Intelligence (INT) 16 (7) +1 lvl
Wisdom (WIS) 12 (5)
Charisma (CHA) 22 (10) +2 racial +2 lvl +2 magic

Alignment:
AC: 21 (10 + 4 dex + 7 armor)
Hit Points: 13d8+8
Movement: 30'

Init: +4
Base Attack Bonus: +10/+5
Fort: +9
Reflex: +16
Will: +13

Race Abilities
Fetchling
+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis
Low-Light Vision
Darkvision 60'
Shadow Resistance: Resist cold 5, electricity 5
Shadow Magic: +1 DC to Illusion (Shadow) spells
Shadow Blending: Concealment from dim light gives 50% miss chance instead of 20%
Recluse: Modifies list of SLAs
Spell Like Abilities:
- Sanctuary 1/day
- Nondetection (self only; DC29) 1/day
- Veil (self only) 1/day
Favored Class: Beguiler
- +1/3rd level DC to Illusion (Shadow) spells

Class Abilities:
Proficiencies - Simple, all crossbows, rapier, Sawtooth sabre, shortbow, short sword; Light armor
Cantrips
Spellcasting
Order:
- Skills: Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Planes)
- Powers
* - Stygian Step: 3+Chamod/day, Blink as part of move action, 2 'uses' to become incorporeal instead
* - Wraith Strike: 3d4 as sneak attack, 3d6 if delivered via morithil or shadow effect, max range 55'
* - Shadow Trickery: Dusk Aura (1 stygian use, treat caster as being in Darkness spell that does not impede her vision, 3rnds)
Charlatan's Cant (convey simple messages secretly) MAY CHANGE
Trapfinding (+1/2 lvl Disable Device checks; gains Trap Spotter as per rogue talent)
Surprise Casting (feinting denies victim Dex bonus to AC from next attack or next spell)
Cloaked Casting (gain +2 spell DC, +2 vs Spell Penetration, when target is denied Dex AC)
Hidden Signs (gain benefits of Concealed Casting but not metamagic, use Intelligence, spells cast with no components aren't noticed)
Savvy Preparation (can prepare 1 spell on list but not known per spell level, cast with slots as normal, 15 min prep)
Muddling Aegis (reduce lingering magic auras in area by 1, 1min/lvl/day)
Improved Feint (feint as move action)
Swift Feint (feint as swift action)
Calculated Coercion (use Int instead of Cha to compel charmed creatures to do opposed action) NOPE
Silent Spell
Still Spell

Skills: 6+int? 4+int?
Acrobatics
Bluff
Craft
Diplomacy
Disable Device
Disguise
Escape Artist
Knowledge: Arcana
Knowledge: Local
Knowledge: Planes
Knowledge: Dungeoneering
Perception
Profession
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Spellcraft
Stealth
Use Magic Device

Traits
- Focused Mind (+2 concentration)
- Adaptable Flatterer (+1 Bluff and attacks vs targets denied Dex to AC)

Feats
1 Arcane Strike (swft action to give weapon attacks +3 dmg, magic, for round)
3 Weapon Finesse
5 Spell Penetration
7 Shadow Weave Caster (+1 DC to Enchantment, +2 vs SR Enchantment, counts as Spell Focus; -1 DC and -2 vs SR for Evocation/Transmutation)
9 Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
B Leadership
11 Arcane Blast (Convert spell slots into 30' ranged touch ray, 2d6+1d6/lvl, Su ability)
13 Arcane Shield (Immediate action, convert spell slots into deflection bonus for 1 round, +1/lvl)

Languages - Common,

Spells (caster level 14 (16 vs SR), Base DC 16, 18 enchantment, 21 shadow)
Slots 1 - 6, 2 - 6, 3 - 6, 4 - 6, 5 - 6, 6 - 5, 7 - 3

Known
0 - Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Shadowy Heist, Sift
1 - Identify, Windy Escape, Comprehend Languages, Telempathic Projection, Handy Grapnel, Illusion of Calm, Vocal Alteration, Sow

Thought, Shadow Weapon, Negate Aroma, Silent Image
Prepared: ?, ?
2 - Glitterdust, Hidden Presence, Mirror Image, See Invisibility, Calm Emotions, Focused Scrutiny, Knock, Spider Climb, Pilfering Hand,

Pass Without Trace, Web
Prepared: ?
3 - Displacement, Haste, Invisibility Sphere, Sculpt Sound, Suggestion, Zone of Silence, Deeper Darkness, Glibness, Cloak of Wind, Slow
Prepared: Mental Block
4 - Charm Monster, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Solid Fog, Stay the Hand, Complex Hallucination, Fear, Hypercognition,

Shadow Step
Prepared: Phantasmal Conduit
5 - Shadow Evocation, Hold Monster, Modify Memory, Persistant Image, Sending, Dance of 100 cuts, Hostile Juxtaposition, Mind Probe
Prepared: Flynn's Halcyon Veil
6 - Greater Dispel Magic, Mislead, Mass Suggestion, Greater Illusion of Treachery, True Seeing, Shadow Walk, Lightfinger's Last Resort
Prepared: Move Heavens
7 - Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Arcane Sight, Phase Door, Spell Turning, Greater create mindscape, Project Image
Prepared: Power Word (Blind)

Money - 135

Weapons -
Agile Morithil Sawtooth Sabre +1, +15, 1d8+5, 19-20/x2, 9,335gp
Shortbow, +14, 1d6-1 dmg, 60', 20/x3, 30gp

Armour -
Glamered Breastplate of the Deciever +1, +7 AC, Max Dex +5, ACP -1, 12,500gp, counts as Light armor, ACP doesn't reduce Stealth or

Sleight of Hand

Gear -
Headband of Charisma +2, 4000
Belt of Dexterity +2, 4000
Cloak of Resistance +3, 9000
Spellguard Bracers (+2 Concentration to cast defensively, 3/day cast defensively w/adv), 5000
Decoy Ring (turn invisible, spawn 4 decoys when withdrawing or helpless), 12000[/sblock]

Remove ads