• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archdevils vs. Lords of the Nine

Information

First Post
...more of Information's useless speculation and theorizing...

After some consideration, I've come to the conclusion that usage of the term "Lords of the Nine" is moot (except from an aesthetic vantage) given that the term "devil" has returned to standard usage.

Why, you ask?

Under 2nd Edition, whatever motivation lay behind reviving the archdevils, they simply could not be called archdevils. "Archbaatezu" or "baatezu lords", whatever their merits or flaws, never saw print.

So, "Lords of the Nine" was adopted.

And the name stuck, despite the fact that it is uneeded (with the convenient term "archdevil" once again in use) and simply more baggage to weigh down an already syntax-abundant fiendology in 3rd Edition.

Oh, well...Her name was Lola and she was a dancer...

A2Z

Explorer
I always figured the Lords of the Nine (or Dukes of Hell) were just the most powerful archdevils. There's no reason you can't call other unique devils archdevils. In planescape they dropped the whole devil nomenclature and just called the unique devils Noble Baatezu. But, well... if it walks like a duck (or duke) ;)

Information

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
The planescape names are stupid so my devils have always been devils. And there are Daemons!

You are great, Flexor!

Woe betide the PC in your campaign who slips up and uses the word "baatezu"! :D

Last edited:

GralTok

First Post
Never played planescape (not that I wouldn't love it) but what are deamons? I want to buy Armies of the Abyss and Legions of Hell and there will be a new book in that series about Daemons...

Thanks

Carnifex

First Post
Daemons (or as they are now officially know, yugoloths - and yes, I know, Flexor and Information wont approve of that name, no need to get in an argument over it because we've been through that one before ;) ) are the main neutral evil fiendish race, in the way that devils are lawful evil and demons are chaotic evil.

MythandLore

First Post
I just use both, in the game "mortals just don't understand the diffrence".
One name being derogatory, the other being what they call themselves.
If a demon is talking about a devil he'll refer to them a 'Baatezu', but will of course call himself a demon.
Or if a devil is talking about daemons he'll call them "Yugoloths", but refer to himself and his kind are devils.
But if someone were to call a daemon a yugoloth it would take great ofence to it.
I do the same with 'Dark Elves' and 'Drow'.

Remove ads