• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer Bard build help please

Herzog

Adventurer
I've seen a lot of Bard threads lately.
Unfortunately, none of them actually help me with my current project.

I'm looking for help building an Archer Bard within the following limitations:

1. Human only
2. No magic items
3. Medium range (30+ feet) archery
4. No crossbows

The Bard part should focus on Bardic Music.
Spellcasting and Bardic Knowledge are nice, but not a priority.

I've build a Bard before, and although I liked the character, it had one flaw (IMO):
My turns went by mostly with 'I continue the bardsong, and move out of the way to avoid being hit'.
I tried to use spellcasting to improve this, but the spells I had were mostly useless. (poor choices were part of this).
I tried to add Sneak Attack to the build, but this quickly caused the death of this character, since I tried to get into SA range (<30') and got within charging range of the enemy fighters.

So, I'm looking for ideas to
1 Improve the effectiveness of my Bardic Music (I know of several boosts to Inspire Courage, other options to both improve my party and debuff our opponents are appreciated)
2 Combine spells with ranged attacks to maximum effect (since Human is a requirement Arcane Archer is out, even if it would be for only two levels).
3 Give tactical advantages through ranged attacks (like Distracting Attack ACF for rangers. Although I'm not sure I want to give up 4 levels of Bard for that one)

Suggestions to have SA at >30' (like with crossbow sniper) are also welcome. (I'm aware of some options, like Sniper's Shot, but Bard spellcasting progression makes Persisted spells impossible)

Books allowed include all WotC official sourcebooks, although 'new rules' as introduced in Bo9S, MoI and ToM, as well as the skill tricks from CS are not allowed.
I have gotten Web Enhancement past this DM before, as well as Unearthed Arcana options, so any good pointers using those sources are welcome as well.

also, I have no stats for this character yet, so tips on which stat should be highest (or minimum values for stats to make a build work) are appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

kitcik

Adventurer
An Archer Bard with no magic - good luck!

You probably know this one already: Words of Creation (Book of Exalted Deeds).

Rhun

First Post
Not sure how you are determining stats, but Cha should still be the highest (16+), followed by DEX (14+). STR is important with bows (12+), and CON is always important (12+). INT (10+) and WIS (8+) are less important for this build.

Dandu

First Post
Feats: Song of the Heart, Knowledge Devotion, Words of Inspiration, Rapid Shot, Extend Spell, Lyric Spell, Persist Spell
Skill trick: Collector of Stories
Spells: Inspirational Boost, Improvisation

Have a 16 in Cha and Int and 14 in Dex and Con if possible. Boost Dex if you're not going to go heavy spellcasting.

Dandu

First Post
Int 15 is a prerequisite for Words of Creation, so you might as well make it Int 16 to get the extra skill point, which would go towards Knowledge Devotion anyways.

Rhun

First Post
Int 15 is a prerequisite for Words of Creation, so you might as well make it Int 16 to get the extra skill point, which would go towards Knowledge Devotion anyways.

Cool! Thanks for explaining. That definitely makes sense now.

Herzog

Adventurer
[MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION]:

I would NEVER have come across Knowledge Devotion by myself. Thanks!

So, if I interpret your suggestions correctly:

1. Song of the Heart, Words of Creation, Inspirational Boost to improve bardic music effect(s)
2. Knowledge Devotion, Collector of Stories, Improvisation to boost attack/damage through skill checks (brilliant!) and luck bonus pool to boost attacks and/or skill checks, Rapid Shot to increase number of attacks per round.
3. Extend Spell->Persist spell to turn short duration spells into 24 hour buffs (although with a max spell level of 6 I would HAVE to go into Sublime Cord or get higher lvl spells some other way. Through Lyric Spell???)

I've got my eye on Melodic Casting myself to be able to drop Concentration and combine bardic music and spells if need be, and I'm considering taking the Bardic Knack ACF for those rare (knowledge) skill checks I can't possibly max.

Any suggestions on PrC's? Multiclassing? reason's I shouldn't take Bardic Knack and/or Melodic Casting? Reasons I should really consider taking Persist Spell? Because frankly, I don't see Bards making use of Persist very well....

gorfnab

First Post
Possible build suggestions:
Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Ruathar 3
Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3

Ruathar is much easier to get in than Sacred Exorcist. Either one though will give you the BAB boost necessary to reach BAB 16.

Since Sublime Chord lets you cherry pick the best Sorc/Wiz spells of 4th level and higher you may be able to pull off some interesting effects with Imbue Arrow (Antimagic Field comes to mind).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads