Archer Warlord+Battlefront Leader+Armored Warlord? Cheese?

Infiniti2000

First Post
For some reason I missed that it was only for RBA. I guess I didn't double check the ranged power stats on the stat cards from the CB. It's true that I can't imagine a case where I'd make RBAs. And no (to DS) my first feat would be the one that improves healing.

This seals it. I'm definitely going with the melee-oriented warlord. Probably better for the dragonborn anyway.

Christian

Explorer
For some reason I missed that it was only for RBA. I guess I didn't double check the ranged power stats on the stat cards from the CB. It's true that I can't imagine a case where I'd make RBAs. And no (to DS) my first feat would be the one that improves healing.
Well, there are ranged warlord powers in MP2 that use the Strength stat. So you really have some options--you can play a warlord with a bow proficiency feat and take a bow power or two, without taking the skirmishing warlord feature. That's really aimed at a character who expects to generally be using ranged attacks, where sometimes a RBA might be your best option. I generally fire those off when I'm down to at-will powers, and my target doesn't have a couple of melee strikers engaged with him to get full advantage of Paint the Bulls-eye.

DracoSuave

First Post

This seals it. I'm definitely going with the melee-oriented warlord. Probably better for the dragonborn anyway.

You -are- aware that all the ranged powers of a warlord are Strength-based out of the box, right?

Just... what were you expecting the feature to do that suddenly it's a bad feature to take that you'd go melee?

Alright.

Skirmishing warlords (that's the actual name of the build, by the way) are great, and use Strength with their attack powers, and Intellegence or Wisdom.

Archer Warlord is a class feature that does very little for you, even if you're a Skirmishing warlord.

You -can- be a Skirmishing warlord without Archer warlord and do just fine. Then you can take battlefront leader, get the great scale armor, be mobile down the road, AND still pew pew with your bow.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
You -are- aware that all the ranged powers of a warlord are Strength-based out of the box, right?

Just... what were you expecting the feature to do that suddenly it's a bad feature to take that you'd go melee?

Alright.

Skirmishing warlords (that's the actual name of the build, by the way) are great, and use Strength with their attack powers, and Intellegence or Wisdom.

Archer Warlord is a class feature that does very little for you, even if you're a Skirmishing warlord.

You -can- be a Skirmishing warlord without Archer warlord and do just fine. Then you can take battlefront leader, get the great scale armor, be mobile down the road, AND still pew pew with your bow.

Yup, you are going to want to take a feat for a greatbow or superior crossbow anyway so the archer warlord feature doesn't really give you much of anything save for the ability to make ranged basic attacks using your strength modifier (which won't come up too much as a leader).

If you are wisdom-based and want to do something about that, you can always worship Sehanine and take the Serene Archery feat to use wisdom for all your ranged basic attacks with bows.

Infiniti2000

First Post
No, as a matter of fact I wasn't. I assumed (incorrectly) that the CB updated the stat cards automatically due to the archer build. So, the 'feature' adds little to no value, as noted by others. Together with the very limited set of ranged options means I'm choosing melee.

No, as a matter of fact I wasn't. I assumed (incorrectly) that the CB updated the stat cards automatically due to the archer build. So, the 'feature' adds little to no value, as noted by others. Together with the very limited set of ranged options means I'm choosing melee.

There are certain powers you can switch from being melee to being ranged. You need one of the fighting styles such as Adamant Arrow, Harrowing Swarm, or Leaf Runner. The Lesser Style feats give you a minor bonus with one power (usually an at-will) and the Greater Style feat allows 1 encounter power at each level from 3rd on up to be used as a ranged power. They may or may not be powers you want, but its a way to buff up your archery and opens up some tactical variations.

DracoSuave

First Post

Of course... those ranged options are very good...

And it's not like there isn't a way to combine ranged and melee attacks into one character... they have weapons that are both....

All in all tho, I'd just look at the powers you want, line up the attributes, and pick the weapon that lets you do everything you want.

RBA is the only at will that does normal damage without putting yourself at risk (risky shot) or without initiating an action point nova round (paint the bulls eye)

Warlords are actually one of the few PHB 1 classes that regularily use their BAs when his assisting at wills are no particular good choice ;)

Remove ads