• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ardent Class: Predictions?

fireinthedust

Explorer
So what is the Ardent going to be?

I'm looking at the calendar of updates, and I just have no idea. Any predictions that I might not have noted?

Mengu

First Post
All I can say is after Ardent Paladin, Ardent Vow, Ardent Champion Paragon Path, and Ardent Strike At-will power, Ardent as a new class name is a bad idea.

FireLance

Legend
Further thoughts on the ardent:

The 3.5e ardent had what I thought was a very interesting mechanic for gaining knowledge of psionic powers. An ardent's powers were divided into various "spheres" or "domains" called "mantles" (e.g. Life, Energy, Destruction, Freedom). At 1st-level, an ardent selected two mantles and one 1st-level power from each mantle. As he gained levels, he learned more mantles and more powers, which must be selected from the mantles he knows.

It would be fairly easy to re-introduce the concept of mantles to 4e. A mantle would simply be a collection of powers of every level related to the theme of the mantle: one 1st-level at-will power, encounter powers of 1st, 3rd, 7th, 13th, 17th, 23rd and 27th level, daily powers of 1st, 5th, 9th, 15th, 19th, 25th and 29th level, and utility powers of 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th and 22nd level. A 1st-level ardent selects two mantles, which give him both his at-will powers, and then selects his encounter and daily powers from the mantles he has picked. Humans might have the ability to select an at-will power (but only the at-will power) from a third mantle.

Dice4Hire

First Post
It would be fairly easy to re-introduce the concept of mantles to 4e. A mantle would simply be a collection of powers of every level related to the theme of the mantle: one 1st-level at-will power, encounter powers of 1st, 3rd, 7th, 13th, 17th, 23rd and 27th level, daily powers of 1st, 5th, 9th, 15th, 19th, 25th and 29th level, and utility powers of 2nd, 6th, 10th, 16th and 22nd level. A 1st-level ardent selects two mantles, which give him both his at-will powers, and then selects his encounter and daily powers from the mantles he has picked. Humans might have the ability to select an at-will power (but only the at-will power) from a third mantle.

That would be an interesting mechanic.

Shroomy

Adventurer
It may be interesting, but people already complain enough about how the warlock's at-will powers are constrained by their eldritch pact, I can only imagine what it would be like if all of a class's powers were selected in a similar manner.

Modeus

First Post
My prediction is that PHB3 will be development for the WOTC folks to show that they are willing to break some of the design constraints they had given themselves for PHB1 and PHB2.

The Ardent is likely to focus on a mechanic which differs markedly from the "healing Word" twice an encounter mechanic that will still allow it to perform its duties as a leader.

One possibility is to invest temporary hit points. Another is to grant regeneration. Another possibility is to provide DR as an interrupt reaction.

I was hoping for something radical, something along the lines of Avenger's Oaths to demonstrate that the Leader role can result in different modes of play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads