Are Asians not allowed in Superhero Movies?

Kaodi

Hero
Should Morgan Freeman as God really be grouped with the rest of that stereotype? I mean, Morgan Freeman as God is specifically a counter to a different racist phenomenon: only white people can be God.

Rune

Once A Fool
It was "artful" I'll grant that. The precursor race of robots, kind of threw me for a loop, as well, as in "why?". I wouldn't even call myself "Christian", so its not for religious reasons that I didn't like it.

If you mean the "Watchers," they are more pretty much earth elementals. Their depiction is actually a combination (and redefining) of a couple of ancient ideas. The first, referenced in Genesis, is that an ancient race of giants existed (at the same time that angels used to mate with women, creating great men--implied to be more giants).

And the second, an ancient idea put forth by Jewish mystics (as I understand it--haven't seen these texts, myself) that when the rebellious angels were cast out of Heaven, they were encrusted in earth. The symbolism of which (or its inverse--transcendence through the shedding of the world--which is also depicted in the movie) is often found in art through the centuries--and even in modern works. Galahad's transcendence (significantly not just death!) in Le Morte D'Arthur and Neo's transcendence (even with flight!) in The Matrix are two examples that leap directly into my mind.

Rune

Once A Fool
Should Morgan Freeman as God really be grouped with the rest of that stereotype? I mean, Morgan Freeman as God is specifically a counter to a different racist phenomenon: only white people can be God.

Surely Morgan Freeman's godlike voice had something to do with the casting?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure finally casting God as a black guy rather than a white guy with a bushy white beard counts. That's totally affirmative. Casting black actors is a good thing.

And Morpheus is Merlin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll give him a pass on that...but not everyone does, in part because of the way God is written in those films. (Personally, I think they're going a little too far with that analysis, but...)

It's worse than mere petty racism, it's likely Hollywood kowtowing to the murderous Chinese Regime over the subject of Tibet. By making the ancient one caucasian, they'll also be removing any need to connect the character to Tibet. Doing that will make it easier to get the film into Chinese theaters.

Remove ads