• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are bucklers a "light" shield?

Drake1132

First Post
I'm just wondering if Bucklers are classified as a "light" shield for feats like Shielded Casting and whatnot or if only "light wooden" and "light steel" shields count (fromt he standard equipment at least). So could someone please give me an interpretation on that?

I would think that, since a Buckler is smaller and lighter weight than a light wooden shield or a light steel shield that it could qualify, but the Shiedled Casting Feat seems to have more to do with the caster's ability to protect themself rather than any sort of movement or weight restrictions, so the Buckler might be considered too small.

Obviously this ambiguity would be up to my DM to make final decision on, but I'm wondering if there is any precidence (sp?) or at least what the general opinion is from the community.

Thanks,
Drake

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sometimes it might specifically mean Light Shields -- you cannot shield bash with bucklers for instance. But if that's not the case, then I don't see why it would not count. Bucklers are lighter. And afford the same protection.

Jaysyn

First Post
Light Shield = Can bash with, can use hand to carry or climb, can't wield a weapon in same hand.

Buckler = Can't bash with, can carry or climb, can use a weapon in same hand.

irdeggman

First Post
Well if you look at the feat description in the PHB (not the SRD) it says:

You are proficient with bucklers, light shields, and heavy shields.

Since it specifically lists bucklers and light shields (but not as if they were the same thing) I would say that RAW makes them different.

As far as an individual feat's benefits go - it would depend on the text for that specific feat. IMO for most cases a DM could easily say the feat's benefits count for bucklers too.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The Shielded Casting feat text (Races of Stone) specifically states the feat applies if you have a light shield, heavy shield, or tower shield ready. Given that the context is this specific, I would say that by the letter of the rules a buckler does not work with this feat.

However, the feat description also excludes exotic shields (which are presented in the same book and pretty obviously should be usable with the feat). Frankly, I just don't think it's that well-written of a feat. I would let a player use it with any kind of shield. I can't see any reason why a light shield should offer the same shield bonus as a buckler but not the same protection for the purposes of Shielded Casting (or any other feat).

Remove ads