D&D 5E Are DMs getting lazy?

BryonD

Hero
Yes there was much more home few in 1E than 5E. It was a much better game for it.

I assume you meant home "brew". I ask speaking as a king of typos, just want to make sure I understand.

I'm not ready to make a call on "better game". But there is a long list of "better games" than 1E now.
But there will almost certainly never be a TTRPG which is as far ahead of the rest of the field as 1E was in its day.

Nellisir

Hero
Welcome to conversations with Hussar 101.

Yeah, that one was apparently "there are opinions in this thread; you are in this thread; therefore your post will stand in for whatever I want to respond against." It was just so completely...sideways to anything I'd ever thought or posted. Telling me that I should look outside D&D for inspiration is like telling a fish to try water. There's just no way to respond without laughing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to conversations with Hussar 101.

Ladies and gentlemen,

The most frequent warning we have to give out around here is, "Don't make it personal. Address the reasoning of the post, not the person of the poster." Here, we have a clear example of someone trying to dismiss the person, rather than the logic.

BryonD had been making a habit of this sort of thing recently. He's taking some time off.

Anyone else want to continue with the rudeness? I hope not.

Last edited:

I assume you meant home "brew". I ask speaking as a king of typos, just want to make sure I understand.

I'm not ready to make a call on "better game". But there is a long list of "better games" than 1E now.
But there will almost certainly never be a TTRPG which is as far ahead of the rest of the field as 1E was in its day.

I'm phone posting -silly autocorrect. You are right of course. I actually consider oD&D one of the best games ever made even now and Red Box,B/X, BECMI, and RC a minor refinement to that game. AD&D on its own loses the elegance and gives very little - but AD&D 1E in practice normally means Red Box with slightly tweaked classes and a few of the rules in the DMG. (Of 2E I have little good to say).

And people really underestimate how much oD&D and the Red Box in particular does to lead the DM into good practice.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, that one was apparently "there are opinions in this thread; you are in this thread; therefore your post will stand in for whatever I want to respond against." It was just so completely...sideways to anything I'd ever thought or posted. Telling me that I should look outside D&D for inspiration is like telling a fish to try water. There's just no way to respond without laughing.

As I said in the post you seem to have so many problems with, I was simply spring boarding off your conversation to address other points made in the thread. If you go back and actually read what I wrote, I never accused you of being shackled to the game. In fact, I specifically stated that. I think, somewhere along the lines, you took me to be saying something I wasn't.

Remove ads