Are Drow considered "Fey".....? Why or why not?

Greenfield

Adventurer
On the original topic: Drow are listed as Humanoid (Elf) subtypes.

Fey are listed as, well, Fey. It's like asking why a pebble isn't an ocean.

One player in my game is running a Spirit Shaman (D&D 3.5). One class ability allows him to do some general damage to "Spirits" in the area. "Spirits" in this case are defined as non-corporeal undead, Ethereal creatures, creatures with the Spirit subtype, and Fey.

I'm running an Elf, and last weekend he was worried that if my character was nearby he'd be hurt. The power is non-selective, after all.

It took a few minutes, and several instances of pointing to the Monster Manual to get the difference clear in his mind. Elves are not Fey. Neither are Drow, nor any other Elven sub-races, whether they possess spell-like abilities or not.

The fact that it include corporeal creatures like Sprites and Dryads, but nor corporeal undead kind of threw him.

diaglo

Adventurer
I always assumed that Drow were "Fey" simply because they possessed innate magical abilities (Darkness & Faerie Fire). However, this list of "Fey" creatures omits the Drow......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fey_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

Is this merely an oversight, or am I the only one here who believes Drow should be "Fey".....?

PS: On a side note, it's intriguing to me that the Kenku, clearly derived from "Tengu", have simply been described & statted as "Crow people". Meanwhile, the creature from which the Kenku originated (Tengu) are CLEARLY "Fey", yet nobody in all the years of D&D has bothered to give the Tengu a proper write-up. Shame.....

for decades i have treated drow as faeries. i use Chainmail(1971) and OD&D(1974) as the references.
elves, dwarves, and halflings are the civilized races that hang with mankind.
faeries, gnomes, and hobbits are the ones with little exposure to humans.
they can be brutual when encountered or they can be pleasant as the interaction dictates.

Remove ads