• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are ELADRIN attribute bonuses the MOST USELESS?

Cadfan said:
If you hold everything equal, you end up with a difference of one point of charisma modifier. That is absolutely, totally trivial. Especially considering that the Eladrin still got the +1 will defense due to a class feature.
And for half of the levels Halfling will be ahead in Cha mod, while half the levels eladrin will tie, as long as Cha is pumped as much as possible in both.

For example,
1st lv halfling Cha 16 (+3) Advantage Halfling
1st lv Eladrin Cha 15 (+2)

4th lv halfling Cha 17 (+3) Tie
4th lv eladrin Cha 16 (+3)

8th lv halfling Cha 18 (+4) Advantage Halfling
8th lv eladrin Cha 17 (+3)

11th lv halfling Cha 19 (+4) Tie
11th lv eladrin Cha 18 (+4)

14th lv halfling Cha 20 (+5) Advantage Halfling
14th lv eladrin Cha 19 (+4)

18th lv halfling Cha 21 (+5) Tie
18th lv eladrin Cha 20 (+5)

21st lv halfling Cha 22 (+6) Advantage Halfling
21st lv eladrin Cha 21 (+5)

24th lv halfling Cha 23 (+6) Tie
24th lv eladrin Cha 22 (+6)

28th lv halfling Cha 24 (+7) Advantage Halfling
28th lv eladrin Cha 23 (+6)

Not even as big a difference as it first appears at 15 to 16.

EDIT: If you factor in the +1 to will saves, the advantage halfling becomes a tie and the ties become advantage eladrin. This doesn't work for skills, powers, etc..., but the eladrin holds it's own.

Last edited:

Tellerve

I disagree for Ranger. A hybrid Ranger with the twin strike at-will power and a bevy of weapons (two longswords, a longspear, and a longbow), and the Eladrin Soldier feat plus Quick Draw, will make quite a good flexible Ranger.

An Eladrin Ranger/Wizard with the Arcane Initiate feat will also work quite well.

Throw in javelins instead, or just with the longbow. If you have the Eladrin soldier feat you'd be getting +2 damage with them. Granted a longbow has more range and a higher die of damage.

NorthSaber

First Post
Like the Eladrin Soldier feat. An Eladrin is likely to be a +1 to hit and a plus +1 to damage behind Str based races, but with that feat they offset the damage penalty.

It's still a suboptimal choice, but it isn't crippling.

Eladrin Soldier only evens things out in the Heroic tier, though; after that Weapon Focus is just as good, leaving your lower Str showing when compared to the more optimized fighter races.

Not sure what it's worth, but Eladrin do get free weapon proficiencies, which is a plus - a small plus, but a plus nevertheless. Eladrin are the only race (I think) that can qualify for Wizard of the Spiral Tower as a wizard without spending a feat for the longsword proficiency, making them the only race with their "own" paragon path. Again, a small plus. But these small pluses keep piling up!

Gloombunny

First Post
Eladrin Soldier only evens things out in the Heroic tier, though; after that Weapon Focus is just as good, leaving your lower Str showing when compared to the more optimized fighter races.
Well... because it applies to both longswords and spears, it's good into paragon tier for a two-weapon ranger who wants to use longswords in melee and javelins as a backup weapon for range. Except that such a ranger is already suboptimal because he's using longswords instead of bastard swords. :/

Not sure what it's worth, but Eladrin do get free weapon proficiencies, which is a plus - a small plus, but a plus nevertheless. Eladrin are the only race (I think) that can qualify for Wizard of the Spiral Tower as a wizard without spending a feat for the longsword proficiency, making them the only race with their "own" paragon path. Again, a small plus. But these small pluses keep piling up!
Well, eladrin can qualify for Spiral Tower without spending a feat, but humans get an extra feat to spend... so it's kind of a wash there. A small advantage for them over other races who want to be Spiral-Tower wizards, but that's a pretty narrow subset of characters.

NorthSaber

First Post
Well, eladrin can qualify for Spiral Tower without spending a feat, but humans get an extra feat to spend... so it's kind of a wash there. A small advantage for them over other races who want to be Spiral-Tower wizards, but that's a pretty narrow subset of characters.

I always figured the human extra feat was there as a balance for Fey Step - if they use it as a balance for the extra free weapon proficiency, the Eladrin still has Fey Step the human doesn't.

Gloombunny

First Post
I always figured the human extra feat was there as a balance for Fey Step - if they use it as a balance for the extra free weapon proficiency, the Eladrin still has Fey Step the human doesn't.
An extra feat does not balance against Fey Step anyway. What humans really have to offer is an extra at-will, better defenses, and the ability to take some very good racial feats.

NorthSaber

First Post
An extra feat does not balance against Fey Step anyway. What humans really have to offer is an extra at-will, better defenses, and the ability to take some very good racial feats.

I guess we end up comparing apples to oranges - the humans have more oranges than the Eladrin have apples, but man are those apples shiny... :p

Ulthwithian

First Post
Heh. I have two Eladrin in the group (Wizard and Tactical Warlord), and neither are complaining about their selections in the least.

Keterys, you might be interested in knowing that the Warlord in my group is, indeed, a Tactical Warlord with Eladrin Soldier and taking Arcane Initiate for Thunderwave at 2nd level. GMTA? ;)

Remove ads