• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are gamers chronic loners

What is your current and past relationship status?

• Married

Votes: 130 53.1%
  • Divorced

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • In a relationship (but not married)

Votes: 49 20.0%
  • Currently Single, never married (but have had an S.O.)

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Never married, currently single, never had an S.O.

Votes: 15 6.1%

Hussar

Legend
What throws me for a wobble here is how few divorcees there are here. I mean, 2 percent? Wow. What happened to the 50% divorce rate?

Cool though.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What throws me for a wobble here is how few divorcees there are here. I mean, 2 percent? Wow. What happened to the 50% divorce rate?

Cool though.

Many of them could have fallen into the "married" (again) or in a relationship (post divorce) categories. "Divorced," as the poll is setup, would only be the option for those who have been divorced and are currently single.

Hussar

Legend
Many of them could have fallen into the "married" (again) or in a relationship (post divorce) categories. "Divorced," as the poll is setup, would only be the option for those who have been divorced and are currently single.

Oh, I'm quite sure that's true.

Just surprised me is all. I would have thought "divorced" as a status would have been more prominent. 2% makes me pretty happy though.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author

Yes, just like I fall into the Married category, despite also being a Widower. You have to pick a certain level of granularity with poll options, otherwise they become unwieldy. My wife, for example, if you want to REALLY break it down accurately, is Married, Widowed, and Divorced Mother where as I am Married and Widowed Step-Father (and ersatz cat-keeper). Most polls don't allow for that level of granularity.

In any case, while I am capable of entertaining myself, and I do enjoy "me time," I am not a loner. I enjoy being in a relationship and consider it an important part of my mental health. I know what I like when I'm single and alone; it ain't pretty.

Stormonu

Legend
Married, going on 17 years. I did get late into the dating game though.

Over my (gosh, has it been that many years?) 31 years of gaming and some 30+ players over the years, I can only think of 3 that aren't married/were married. Two of 'em aren't even 10 yet, though the 3rd would probably be considered to fit the 40-year-old-virgin stereotype. In a lot of cases, I gamed with groups that had couples that got married if not during the years we played or shortly thereafter.

I'd have to say that overall, my years of gaming have pretty much shown me that the "gamers can't get a date" stereotype is rubbish.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Married for 16 years next month with two children.

Of my players:
3 Married [or 2, depending on your state ;)]
1 Recently Divorced and in a new relationship
2 Single [but who both have been in relationships previously]

The overwhelming majority of players I've had over the years have either been in relationships or married, even if they aren't in one at any given moment. Hell, I've had to deal with players gaming with their ex-es as a problem...certainly not an issue with loners.

Ampolitor

Explorer
38 married here with two boys and another on the way. Everyone I play with is married, I'm a cop/Bomb Tech so when I get time to play it's with people that has the same busy life as I do.

Skyscraper

Explorer
I didn't check married since I'm not, but I'm married as I'll ever get :) I.e. I've been with my girlfriend for 15 years and we have 3 kids together.

For some people, and in some cultures, marriage is simply not something that is very distinguishing of relationship status. For example, in my social group and in my culture generally (province of Quebec) many people never ask or wonder whether someone is married or not. Among my friends that live as couples with a family, maybe one third or one half of them are married either before a religious entity or a civil entity. The rest are not married and probably will never be, although some do get married later in their relationship.

So although the question is understandable from a perspective of a culture where marriage is frequent or expected (or another reason the words of which have not formed in this post), I just wanted to chime in that there are those like me for whom the distinction between "married" and "not married but in a relationship", is a distinction that relates more to religion or culture than it does to actual relationship status as the question to the poll suggests.

Sky

olshanski

First Post
I'm married, with children.

When I was in my teens, I'd make time for everyone to play, but now that I am in my 40s, I have very little free time, and I need to make the most of it.

When I recruit people for my gaming group, I ask for players who are in a relationship, or are in between relationships. I don't want to play with loners because I don't want to deal with them*. Loners tend to be less compassionate toward other gamers. Most often when a player is accused of being a dick, its a loner.

The only non-loner that I had a problem with was a hyper-conservative homophobe... he was wierded out by our group because one player was gay, and one was vegetarian... The hyper-conservative was 30 years old and claimed to have never met a vegetarian before.

*I do recognize the hypocracy of me complaining about loners not being compassionate when I am dismissing them out-of-hand.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads