• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are minions dangerous enough?

A GM I play with believes that four minions are not an equivalent threat to one standard monster. He likes to slightly beef up minions, typically with something like this:

Tough Minion: Attacks that miss can deal damage to this minion. If the minion takes (5 + 1/2 its level) damage in a single chunk, it dies. If it takes less damage, it becomes bloodied. Any damage dealt to a bloodied minion kills it.

This is of interest to me because I want to try running a more old-school style dungeon crawl one shot for a few friends who've never given 4e a shot. I want to be able to have a party of 1st level Essential PCs go into a dungeon where several rooms all have a couple monsters which might come in waves.

The typical wave would be one standard level 1 monster or 4 minions, with the occasional 'elite wave' of one elite, or two standard monsters, or 8 minions, or maybe even a level 5 standard monster (like a bugbear). An encounter would consist of 5 waves (or 3 normal and 1 elite wave), after which the party would have a chance to heal.

Another hope is that I'd be able to get through the fights quickly. So I want to use lots of minions, but I want them to be appropriately challenging. What do you think?

Klaus

First Post
A GM I play with believes that four minions are not an equivalent threat to one standard monster. He likes to slightly beef up minions, typically with something like this:

Tough Minion: Attacks that miss can deal damage to this minion. If the minion takes (5 + 1/2 its level) damage in a single chunk, it dies. If it takes less damage, it becomes bloodied. Any damage dealt to a bloodied minion kills it.

This is of interest to me because I want to try running a more old-school style dungeon crawl one shot for a few friends who've never given 4e a shot. I want to be able to have a party of 1st level Essential PCs go into a dungeon where several rooms all have a couple monsters which might come in waves.

The typical wave would be one standard level 1 monster or 4 minions, with the occasional 'elite wave' of one elite, or two standard monsters, or 8 minions, or maybe even a level 5 standard monster (like a bugbear). An encounter would consist of 5 waves (or 3 normal and 1 elite wave), after which the party would have a chance to heal.

Another hope is that I'd be able to get through the fights quickly. So I want to use lots of minions, but I want them to be appropriately challenging. What do you think?
The true advantage of minions is that killing them takes away one action from a PC, while the others deal damage. I have a few ideas about tweaking minions, myself.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I almost always beef up minions, either numerically, or by making them 'elite', or a combination of the two.

Elite minions simply take two hits to kill.

You can vary that up with a saving throw to become 'bloodied' instead of drop.

I even had ghostly minions that could save every time they took damage, though that can get annoying for the players, and really skew a combat if you get lucky on the dice.

On the topic of the dungeon crawl you have planned, I have often thought that minions (or variations thereof) would provide a perfect way to stage such a 'classic' adventure, with standard monsters cropping up occasionally and regular encounters forming the climax of a level. I also considered limiting players to at-wills between such set-pieces.

In fact, I considered the idea compelling enough to try to work out a system of 'modes' (similar to the way in which the skill system takes over for skill challenges) in which complexity of rules scaled up. You could play out alot of a dungeon without minis, even; step up to 'dungeon crawl' mode for complex areas; and enter 'standard 4E' for the set pieces.

S'mon

Legend
5+1/2 level to kill is the formula I use, yup. :D But I let them take damage on a miss.

I also halve monster hit points.

Generally this works well; there is a minor issue that with these mods a level 9 minion (100 XP) is nastier than a level 1 standard monster, but that is more due to monster theat level in 4e scaling faster than monster XPV - you're always better off fighting weaker monsters.

keterys

First Post
Minions can be worth their xp - especially at low level. They can also be worth a tiny fraction of their xp.

More than any other monster, minions have sharp variation in design. One minion will get a save to avoid death, extra attacks, automatic damage, etc... while another has defenses 3 too low, no ranged attack, and crappy damage. This is true even in more modern monster manuals - compare the orc and human minions in Monster Vault, for instance.

Minions with ranged attacks are _much_ better at avoiding death. Ones with auras, death bursts, and other techniques can easily be worth the xp budget in a standard encounter.

That said, we're not really talking a standard encounter. Action economy may be a serious problem for any creature in the setup we're talking, since any normal group can easily drop a standard or 4 minions before they act. In many parties, killing the minions will actually be more difficult.

Finally, it's worth saying that the two-hit minion rule has a lot more problems from a design perspective than the damage threshold rule in OP. I'd strongly suggest using the damage threshold over using the "two hit" bit.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think it depends a lot on party composition. If the group has a lot of area spells, then minions are not much of a problem, but if not, they can be a significant hazard. My current group has no controller or blast striker, so minions are a major problem for the party.

I have also done two hit minions before, but with my current group no changes are needed.

I do not think I would ever give minions hit points, though. Seems to destroy the idea of minions.

Psikus

Explorer
I have used the following rule in my campaign to good effect:

Whenever a minion takes damage that is not the result of a hitting attack, if it is not prone, it can make a saving throw. If the saving throw succeeds, the minion is knocked prone and the damage is negated.

This makes minions resilient, but not downright immune, to most kinds of auto-damaging effects.

Gort

Explorer
I made minions immune to non-attack-roll-requiring damage. So auras and other auto-damage effects don't get them.

I also like to use the minions that do something when they die, like an automatic ten damage to everyone next to them - that way even if they don't get a go they can contribute to the fight.

But to answer your question - no, minions as written are not equivalent to a quarter-monster each in threat.

keterys

First Post
Yeah, it's worth noting that certain party setups - especially at higher levels (Morninglords, slasher builds, etc) can really rip through minions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads