• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are PDA 3e software projects all dead?

dreadnought

First Post
So, with Realmscrafters dead in the water, anyone know of any development plans for a working PDA / Palm character builder? Haven't heard anything for months about possible Palm applications being developed. What I've seen so far has been pretty lame.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Many projects still exist, but most of them are character viewers rather than character builders. PCGen I believe has no less than TWO independent projects attached to it for PDA viewing.

dreadnought

First Post
Yeah, I've looked at the various character trackers and viewers, but am always hoping someone will be intrepid enough to build something more substantial.
I wonder what will happen now with Code Monkeys taking over e-Tools and PCGen ... maybe they'll show with something PDA-related down the line.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
pcgen has 2 PDA programs. PCGenview and another one for the PPC platform. both display PC's and that's about it...

dreadnought

First Post
Aha! OK, you little monkey, any plans to develop some kinda port over to PDA from eTools? Any thoughts about maybe an export function? To .prc file? Oh, that would be groovy. Think I may have to mosey on over to the CodeMunk boards to put in my 2 cents.

snowbound

Explorer
dreadnought said:
So, with Realmscrafters dead in the water, anyone know of any development plans for a working PDA / Palm character builder? Haven't heard anything for months about possible Palm applications being developed. What I've seen so far has been pretty lame.

I am in the finishing stretch of developing a D20 initiative tracker for Palm. After I am done with that, would be very interested to hear what Palm fans want.

Just curious, why would you want a Palm character builder? Generating characters involves looking at and entering lots of data, both of which are much easier on PCs than PDAs. Seems like PDAs would be best for use during a game, doing complex calculations and displaying a few data at a time and not getting in the way like a laptop does. Other opinions welcome though...

dreadnought

First Post
Re: Re: Are PDA 3e software projects all dead?

snowbound said:

Just curious, why would you want a Palm character builder? Generating characters involves looking at and entering lots of data, both of which are much easier on PCs than PDAs. Seems like PDAs would be best for use during a game, doing complex calculations and displaying a few data at a time and not getting in the way like a laptop does. Other opinions welcome though...

Well, really I'd only need a character sheet on PDA, and a dice roller and maybe an intiative tracker. So if I could just slap my Palm into the cradle, hit Syncronize and whoosh! my character pops up in the PDA.
The character sheet would ideally process stat changes, allow the addition of skills/feats. So if strength goes up, the corresponding skills go up, Attack Bonuses are recalculated, etc. That's key.
But what I'd really like is the ability to create (or at least manage) a character on the subway on the way in to work.
It's a tall order, but I'd certainly be satisfied with just a straight dynamic character sheet.
Cheers,
dread

snowbound

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Are PDA 3e software projects all dead?

dreadnought said:

Well, really I'd only need a character sheet on PDA, and a dice roller and maybe an intiative tracker. So if I could just slap my Palm into the cradle, hit Syncronize and whoosh! my character pops up in the PDA.

I would like to use something like that for my characters too. Have you tried PCGenView? I have not tried it yet, but from looking at the screen shots, it looks pretty good.

dreadnought

First Post
I tried it once, got frustrated and then forgot about it. I'm not a huge PC Gen fan, due to the usual complaints (speed, etc.). Maybe I'll try it again.
Though, from what little I remember, it was a static character sheet, hence the "view" part of the title.
That would be fine if you could download from PC Gen, go to a gaming session, make changes to the character on the PDA, then have them syncronized with the version on my PC when I get home. THAT would be cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads