• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are sleep spells additive?

daimaru42

First Post
Two of us in the party are able to cast Sleep. If Gregor casts it, putting the two lowest enemies to sleep and the third one half way to sleep where does Satoshi start counting when he casts it? Back at the beginning wasting effort on enemies that are already asleep? On the third lowest, counting from where Gregor left off? Can they both sit back, casting Sleep until everyone is asleep?
Logically it seems that it ~should~ be additive (just like battle damage is) but a strict reading would say it isn't. Anyone know how multiple Sleep spells are meant to work?

Oofta

Legend
The spell specifically states you ignore unconscious creatures. Sleeping creatures are unconscious.

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).​

ro

First Post
Great question! I would like to know that answer as well. I know magical effects from the same spell don't usually stack, but I feel like it should in this case.

daimaru42

First Post
The spell specifically states you ignore unconscious creatures. Sleeping creatures are unconscious.

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).​

I didn't see that, but still, what about the creature that's ~half~ asleep?

mellored

Legend
There is no effect at all for having half of someone's HP.

Those down sides are intentional, and why you roll twice as much (5d8 = 22.5) compared to regular stacking damage like burning hands (3d6 =10.5).

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Right, any leftover points are simply wasted in each casting.

Just like you can't cast power word kill twice in a row and autokill a 200 hp monster.

Sadras

Legend
Anyone know how multiple Sleep spells are meant to work?

There is no half-asleep effect.

It is fair to say the target of multiple sleep spells will suffer from a series of uncontrollable yawns (Drowsiness Condition)* which negate his/her ability to react (if he/she hasn't already expended his/her reaction) until the beginning of his/her next round.

Hardcore DM's might also allow a 1 in 6 chance that Drowsiness Condition affects a conscious facing character within a 10 feet of the original target. The abovementioned condition is contagious.

*The Drowsiness Condition will most likely be included in a future Unearthed Arcana (watch this space for more details).

Last edited:

bganon

Explorer
Additive? No.

Addictive? Very much so. I've known wizards who've completely lost the ability to fall asleep naturally. Eventually they build up an immunity to the point where they're using high-level slots every night just to get some rest. You don't want to be nearby when they decide it's bedtime.

Remove ads