• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Slipcases the new black?

Glyfair

Explorer
IronWolf said:
The Races Series from WotC which contains Races of Stone, Races of the Wild and Races of Destiny and is slip-covered retails for $89.95, only 10 cents higher than the books contained within.

Yes, but the set is coming out at a time when sales are likely quite low. My guess is that WotC doesn't want to discount the books, thus hurting the retailers who still have stock, or want to restock, but still want to give something extra to help move stock.

Given the attraction gamers seem to have with hardback books, it seems a lot have the collector mindset. That should mean that the market would find slipcovers attractive. Indeed, I wouldn't be suprised if more would be sold if they sold them that way once all the books were out. As it is, they have likely lost a good percentage of the audience interested in this set because they already have copies of the books.

Crothian

First Post
jdrakeh said:
It will come, if history is any indicator. There have been few RPG companies that fail to earmark a relatively inexpensive cosmetic enhancement as constituting a 'special or 'limited' edition worthy of a higher pricetag.

So, there have been other RPG Companies that have released slipcase collections that bumped price? I'm failing to see this history

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I guess I don't really think about it since I've been buying slipcased books for so many years.

For the record, I love slipcases.

Psion

Adventurer
Slipcase books -- I've seen a few deluxe editions recently for which the slipcase is one of a number of gimmicks to tack on to the price tag.

WotC style "slipcase sets" are different - they don't cost any more than the component books, and seem to be aimed at giving books relegated to the backstock a second blush.

Taelorn76

First Post
I think slipcovers are more convenient(sp). But I would go with a normal version over slipcovered if there was a substantial price difference.

Price wins over convenience

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:
So, there have been other RPG Companies that have released slipcase collections that bumped price? I'm failing to see this history

Note I didn't say that the history applied specifically to slipcases, but to cosmetic enchancments in general. That said, I don't see why companies that have been hiking prices for decades over things of arguable value such as 'limited edition cover art' for decades would suddenly make an exception for slipcase collections.

While no companies have used the slipcase alone as a justification to hike prices yet, in an industry that has hiked prices over everything ranging from a few color prints inserted in the middle of a book to alternate cover art, there is no reason to suspect that it isn't coming. Again, history suggets a pattern here:

1. Introduce a new marketing concept at a reasonable price.
2. If people drool over it, hike the price an absurd amount. If not, abandon the concept.
3. If people continue to drool over it it, mass produce the hell out of it until it is no longer commercially viable, at which time...
4. Introduce a new marketing concept at a reasonable price.

Adventure modules, leather hardcovers, limited edition cover art, boxed campaigns, and so on all followed the above trend. It's a sound business model, really. Don't get me wrong - I'm not begruding it (it does drive competiion and growth within the industry, after all). I'm just sayin' - if slip case collections catch on, expect them to be the next 'big ticket' collector's item in gaming ;)

ThirdWizard

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
How do you mean? I for example, keep my Race collection... well yes, on the book shelf. Is it supposed to go some where else?

Ironically, my bookshelf contains many things, empty SoBe bottles, old sneakers, my diploma, a Dilbert candy dispenser, a picture of myself being slapped by a groom (framed of course), a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox, a lava lamp, the old TSR D&D deck of wizard spells, a Maxwell Smart bobble head... erm... to name a few... but no books! The D&D books are in a bookbag or on the floor around my computer!

omrob

First Post
So my car got stolen out of a parking garage in SF.The SFPD found it 2 weeks later, and my blue gaming backpack was the only item missing. It had my rulebooks and a lot of campaign material.

So I went online and saw the slipcase 3in1 goodness. I jumped. Needless to say - it really helps me make sure I have all 3 books with me in my backpack when coming to or leaving sessions.

genshou

First Post
For my TV show DVDs, it's very handy to have a slipcase that fits the entire series/season. For books? Sounds like either
  • A waste of money
    or
  • A great idea!
Mostly depending on how much they want me to spend on it. If the price is right around the amount for purchasing all the books individually (such as the Races series) I'd buy it if I was planning on buying all the books anyway. If it's a price spike? Never! :mad:

In answer to the original question, I'm not sure what you mean by "the new black"... :uhoh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads