• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are spell storing weapons worthwhile at highers levels?

juliaromero

First Post
Is the spell storing enhancement worthwhile at all at mid to high teens? The saves are all bad, so all spells that require a save are worthless at that level, and the ones that don't require a save just don't seem strong enough for a one shot deal.

Does anyone have any good ideas for how to get decent use out of this at higher levels? It seems like an extra 1d6 damage from some energy type is going to be better like 95% of the time.

Dracomeander

First Post
That depends on what you are looking for from the ability. It is a single shot renewable resource. Most touch and ranged-touch based spells don't allow a saving throw, and the touch has already been achieved with the weapon strike.

Remember the spell parameters for damage and saves - if you use a spell that allows a save - are based off the caster you had store the spell in the weapon. The mage in one of the games I'm in likes putting Vampiric Touch in the fighter's spell storing weapon to give him an added boost at the start of combat.

juliaromero

First Post
Dracomeander said:
That depends on what you are looking for from the ability. It is a single shot renewable resource. Most touch and ranged-touch based spells don't allow a saving throw, and the touch has already been achieved with the weapon strike.

Remember the spell parameters for damage and saves - if you use a spell that allows a save - are based off the caster you had store the spell in the weapon. The mage in one of the games I'm in likes putting Vampiric Touch in the fighter's spell storing weapon to give him an added boost at the start of combat.

Actually, the saves have nothing to do with the mage who cast the spell ... they will be the minimum for that level, which is why they will suck. A third level spell will have a DC 14 save no matter who put it in the item. That's why it sucks. And most touch range spells do have a save, at least the ones that do anythign worthwhile. Ray of enfeeb and Touch of idiocy are the only ones that don't. An empowered ray of enfeeb just fits and that seems the only worthwhile thing to put in there.

Also, by the rules, I'm pretty sure you can't do what you said with vampiric touch.

And it's nto really a "renewable resource", since any other enhancement is always on instead of being one shot.

Pinotage

Explorer
juliaromero said:
Also, by the rules, I'm pretty sure you can't do what you said with vampiric touch.

Uhm, why not? It's a targetted spell of level 3, hence meeting the requirements to go into a spell-storing weapon.

Pinotage

Diirk

First Post
A minor ring of spell storing contains up to three levels of spells that the wearer can cast. Each spell has a caster level equal to the minimum level needed to cast that spell.

Spell Storing: A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action.) Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. (This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.) Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it. The weapon magically imparts to the wielder the name of the spell currently stored within it. A randomly rolled spell storing weapon has a 50% chance to have a spell stored in it already.

While its evident for a ring of spell storing, the weapon ability has no such statement about the CL of the spell stored within; failing any other obscure references in some other part of the books, I fail to see why you can't store higher CL versions inside a weapon (ie Shocking Grasp at 5th CL instead of 1st etc), as that at least has the possibility of making the enchantment worthwhile (Altho an empowered shocking grasp would be 5d6 x 1.5 in any case.. thats not so bad). Altho the DC of any saving throws will still be limited to 10 + level + minimum stat requirement.

PS. Rays (enfeeblement, scorching ray etc) don't have a target line. They have an effect line. So I'm not sure they're eligible to be put in a spell storing weapon, along with acid arrow, acid splash, etc

Orchard

First Post
juliaromero said:
Actually, the saves have nothing to do with the mage who cast the spell ... they will be the minimum for that level, which is why they will suck. A third level spell will have a DC 14 save no matter who put it in the item. That's why it sucks. And most touch range spells do have a save, at least the ones that do anythign worthwhile. Ray of enfeeb and Touch of idiocy are the only ones that don't. An empowered ray of enfeeb just fits and that seems the only worthwhile thing to put in there.
aside from infict spells and ghoul touch, i can't find any touch spells that have a save (by 3.5 anyway), or anywhere where it says the DC's are minimum required to cast it.
i think casting lightning bolt as you stike someone would look cool, 'i strike with the power of the heavens themselves' :]

Last edited:

Diirk

First Post
Magic Item Basics:

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

While staffs are an exception, spell storing weapons aren't.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Can you store a Sudden Maximized Scorching Ray? The Sudden part keeps it at the appropriate level. Man, that would be a TON of damage.

Dave

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads