• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

I thought FaWS was pretty mediocre, so that might be a writing issue. I also agree that Brie Larson's Captain Marvel is a bit lacking in charisma. Of the new characters, I loved Simu Liu's Shang Chi and Vellani's Ms. Marvel. Hailee Seinfeld as new Hawkeye is great.

Actually, I know who I would pick to lead the new team: Florence Pugh's Black Widow.
I like your ideas and wish someone at Marvel's decision-making levels could see what worked and what didn't.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Folks were getting out of the habit of going to the movies before Covid. I don’t think they are in a hurry to get back in. Inflation, streaming wars, massive back log of supers, uninspired releases. It’s not one thing but a lot if things.

Tell that to Barbie/Taylor swift movie/top gun

new marvel/some new Star Wars-most actors stink. They can’t carry a film/show or the writing is so bad you feel somewhat sorry for them (fury in secret invasion). I think this is a Disney problem

I’m currently watching Tulsa king and just finished Netflix bodies. Tulsa king has a 70+ actor carrying the show. Anthony mackie or Brie Larson can’t carry that show
Bodies is sci-fi and has a bunch of mostly nobodies and i felt it was really well done. Those nobodies felt more real than the winter soldier actor. I was routing for certain characters and binged watched. I’m barely getting that out of Loki And hiddelston has screen presence but it’s kind of a confusing mess and I guarantee the budgets aren’t even close

I just cannot understand how they could get things so right for so long, and then decide quality doesn't matter in the last... five years? And they decide to introduce their next arc by letting its main baddie get beaten by ants? Uhh..
I think it's all about control, the message agenda and greed.

Back before Phase 1 of Marvel someone at Marvel was told "make some Superhero movies" to try and get some of that 'superhero cash that was flowing to DC and Sony Superhero movies.

So that person got some movie making folks together and told them "make a great movie". And then utterly just stepped back and far out of the way. So, more or less, good movies were made....and they even made money.

Right up to The Avengers....when everyone...but most sadly the people "at the top" of Marvel/Disney/Whoever looked at that movie and saw the TON TON of money it made.

A Ton f money made by "B List Characters" to all the non-fans and haters. And that includes all the people at the top too. They see a bunch of "nobody"(to them) characters make a ton of money in a (to them) dumb pew pew Superhero movie.

The cherry on top was Guardians of the Galaxy....like a group of super obscure characters (TO THEM) and the movie makes a ton of money.

Though the People at the Top don't really care about content....they just want more money. And they do the obvious (to them). Make more Superhero content.

From "there" way of thinking all Superhero stuff is just pure trash....but if "people" will pay money to see it....they don't care. So they just make anything and slap "superhero" on it an wait for the money to flow in.

And when the money does not flow in fast enough....the "people at the top" with their "great wisdom" (aka Completely Clueless) step in to run things and make the movies "perfect(to them) money making trash(to them)".

And the first thing they do is the 110% push to make things "modern perfect" by inclusion, diversity and progressive ideas. And then they don't care much about anything else. Does the trash superhero movie have a "strong female character and all weak make characters?" Ok, so where is the big money flowing in?

And that is where we are now...

Irlo

Hero
And the first thing they do is the 110% push to make things "modern perfect" by inclusion, diversity and progressive ideas. And then they don't care much about anything else. Does the trash superhero movie have a "strong female character and all weak make characters?"
Dare I ask ... ? Which movie are you referring to here?

Dare I ask ... ? Which movie are you referring to here?
All of them in general.....I'm talking in general.

The "Top People" are obsessed with Checking the Boxes and "making the movie modern". They are NOT even slightly caring if the movie is good, or does it have a tight plot or sharp dialogue or does it make sense.

They look at the Marvel movies that made good money and only see: "The movie has silly humor, CGI Spam and is super dumb". So with that "amazing" analysis they want to make other movies with those three things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And the first thing they do is the 110% push to make things "modern perfect" by inclusion, diversity and progressive ideas. And then they don't care much about anything else. Does the trash superhero movie have a "strong female character and all weak make characters?" Ok, so where is the big money flowing in?

Mod Note:
Before you continue that line of argument, you probably want to review the inclusivity policy in the Terms and rules.

Remove ads