• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are the official WotC forums worth going to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
ssampier said:
P.S. EN you're MUCH too nice. This forum is your baby, you created it. Admit this forum rules ;)

One man can't make a community -- we all work together to make a place that rules.

How's that for cheesy?? :D

Bendris Noulg

First Post
EricNoah said:
One man can't make a community -- we all work together to make a place that rules.

How's that for cheesy?? :D
Livable, and I hate cheese.

One problem we never get here is contradictory moderation. For example, in one thread, I had a poster rip on me through several posts. I finally got tired of being polite and patient, so I e-mailed a Wizo, who replied along the lines of "insulting people isn't against the code of conduct." A few weeks later, someone got snotty with me, so I insulted him, resulting in my getting a warning from another Wizo who stated "insulting people is against the code of conduct."

Here, while I have had my hand smacked on (the rare) occassion, I know that if PK sends me a warning about something, I don't have to worry about HS or Henry or you (EN) letting other people get away with the same thing. When moderation is consistant, and the moderators don't play favorites, the experience for the average poster is going to be better over-all.

Wormwood

Adventurer
1. I would be lost without the Character Optimization boards. The mental calisthenics there help keep my flabby brain in shape for game nights.

2. I used to lurk on the FR boards, which provided tons of inspiration for my (now defunct) FR campaign.

3. Without the WotC boards in general, I would barely have any house rules. Fortunately, these guys routinely catch rules problems that I overlook.

Overall, the WotC boards have been an invaluable resource for my DMing.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Bendris Noulg said:
One problem we never get here is contradictory moderation.

Well, I wouldn't go that far...I've reported threads here to mods, and had them not only not deal with it, but post in to then slap me on the wrist when I asked them to reign in the other guy. I'm not saying all of the mods here are like that though, just that there is the unavoidable abberation.

Which still makes it a hundred times better than the moderating at WotC (which might as well not exist).

Well, I gotta say one thing here:

Since you guys are griping about Arturick behind his back like little schoolgirls, I'm going to say a few things in his defence.

What Nightfall didn't tell you was that he sstalked arturick just to harass him. If arturick posted, you would find nightfall right there telling everyone about what a terrible person Arturick was. An act I find Juvenile at best.

Arturick does not hate house rules. He hates bad house rules. He had a long series of bad encounters with DMs who pretty much crapped on the game and had some weird, out there house rules. (One DM had a rule that if you got hit with a piesrcing weapon, you had a 75% chance of dying regardless of damage, no save. There are others that are nearly as bad, you'd have to ask him.) He was not nearly as bad as the couplf of posters here claim.

Is Arturick opinionated? Yes. Is he sarcastic? Yes. Does he have a low tolerance for people? Yes. All those are aspects of his character. I'm not denying that. But he's not some raging idiot like you guys paint him to be. (That posistion is filled by Me.)

In fact, I would say that in this thread, there has been more immaturity and juvenile comments thrown around than I ahve seen in the past 2 years of posting on wizards.com, and I am still a fairly active member there. And it has got a bit better, ever since the MLP thing stripped out all the crybabies. (Too bad it stripped out a lot of people dealing with crybabies as well.)

In fact, I will be checking this thread, I am subscribing to it. If I don't see a moderator do something about this, I'm going to assume that THESE are the havens of immaturity, not wizards.com, since you guys obviously have fun mocking people when they can't defend themselves.

I might be a raving angry psycho munchkin, but at least I have the guts to tell people to their face what I think about them, and not mutter behind their backs like a bunch of cowards.

And my almost constant stream of soft warnings and my two official warning on wizards.com tells me that the wizos are doing their job, for the record.

Last edited:

scott-fs

First Post
ssampier said:
I don't have a lot of cash, so I'm not really interest in new supplements as much as majority of the Wizards.community crowd is. That's why I don't spend much time there anymore. I like creating my own stuff and finding nice "brain food" sourcebooks.

I took a look at WotC's forums, and noted that there weren't any forums that I'd have the slightest interest in. Atleast here, there is a general rpg forum where I atleast know that most threads won't be about the D&D rules, but about gaming in general. I have a feeling if I started talking about HarnMaster over there, the thread would get closed down (or my post removed ;)

All my spare cash has been funnelling into Harn material. D&D material just doesn't sit well with me like it used to (which goes for much d20 as well).

Medesha

First Post
I've been gaming with Arturick for two years now, both as player and DM. He's the best DM I've ever had, and an absolute joy to DM. I've never met a more conscientious, helpful, and talented role-player in my life.

Dark Jezter

First Post
I lurk the WotC forums occasionally when I can't find any topics on ENWorld that spark my interest, but I have never bothered to create an account and post there.

I also can't understand why novel discussion was banned in the FR forum. Was it because the mods got tired of people using R.A. Salvatore as a punching bag?

I honeslty don't know. I think it's because unlike insistance to the contrary, Wizards.com doaesn't have a problem with undermoderating, they have an overmoderating problem.

I don't blame the actual mods though, they are doing what their boss tells them to do. I just think that too many rules get handed down, in my opinion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Count Arioch the 28t said:
In fact, I will be checking this thread, I am subscribing to it. If I don't see a moderator do something about this, I'm going to assume that THESE are the havens of immaturity, not wizards.com, since you guys obviously have fun mocking people when they can't defend themselves.
How very rude.

While you are correct in that personal attacks against anyone are not allowed here, posting ultimatums to moderators about how you'd like it handled, is, frankly, rude and immature. If you have a problem with a thread, let someone know about it in a responsible manner.

Your response was as bad as the thing you complained about.

Everyone, please refrain from personal attacks, whether they be against someone here or someone elsewhere. Count Arioch, that goes for you, too. If you have any questions about this, my email address is at the bottom of every page.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads