• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any 3/3.5 Adventures that don't suck?

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Drakonus said:
A note on the Black Orcs: I've made them Lvl 3 fighters and a group of 3 or 4 of them is a very stout encounter for an average low level group.

Is there anything different about the black orcs besides higher HD?

How is the rest of that book?

Gotta go take a look at the reviews for it now...

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I'll second (or fifth or seventh) the Banewarrens; loved it.

Since no one else mentioned it:

Freeport!!!!! Read it. Run it. Love it.

Last edited:

vtaltos

Explorer
I ran Death and Madness in Freeport ( skipped part two ) and found them too easy for my group, but we generally have 7 players.

One that I played and really enjoyed was Bastion Of Broken Souls, though Lord Of The Iron Fortress left alot to be desired.

Treebore

First Post
Yes Ed, I got both. I should have been patient enough to take you up on your offer. The shipping alone was over $8.00. Another reason I like stiggybaby. Unfortunately they only had one of your modules. In fact, that is why I took so long to buy yours. Everywhere I went either didn't have them or had one but not the other.

Ghostwind said:
Song of Storms was, in my opinion, one of the best written modules produced by MonkeyGod Enterprises. It does require more roleplay and critical problem solving/thinking than the standard hack-slash kill the BBEG module, which is why I liked it so much. However, for pure monster killing fun, you can't go wrong with the Rappan Athuk trilogy. My beginner's group decided to take a break from it because of the high party mortality rate. :)

Song of Storms was a lovely, lovely adventure. It has that sense of...poetry (?) to it that I hoped it would have, based on the title alone. Haven't had a chance to run it yet...but I don't really want to. I want to play as a PC!

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Treebore said:
Yes Ed, I got both. I should have been patient enough to take you up on your offer. The shipping alone was over $8.00. Another reason I like stiggybaby. Unfortunately they only had one of your modules. In fact, that is why I took so long to buy yours. Everywhere I went either didn't have them or had one but not the other.

Eight dollars for shipping? That's too much.

I'm glad that Stiggybaby is carrying "The Village of Oester" book, but wish they'd carry "The Hamlet of Thumble", too. If you got Oester at Stiggybaby, where did you get Thumble?

I'm always curious where people get their books.

Red Baron

First Post
wakedown said:
Now, they're off to celebrate their success with one Dame Gold... *cough* and some real fun will begin!
Ooh! Sounds like you're setting up what's probably my favorite adventure series of all time!!

I'm gonna run it (or at least as much of it as we can get through in a few sessions) for the FDP gang at GenCon, in fact. Back to the old glory days!

Viva Markessa!

Drakonus

First Post
Ed Cha said:
Is there anything different about the black orcs besides higher HD?

How is the rest of that book?

Gotta go take a look at the reviews for it now...

Their attributes are allocated differently. I can't remember exactly, but I believe they are bigger and tougher and even dumber and uglier than regular orcs.

The rest of the book is great. It gives several interesting prestige classes, such as the Orc Runner (which is a great scout), the Tunnel Rat (which is a neat rogue derivative), a Torturer, and a few others. It also details a few other orc subspecies, such as White Orcs. And it comes with a few small adventures that come complete with maps and player handouts, just like other KoK modules. For the price, I think it's a great value.

Treebore

First Post
Ed,

I got them both at the site you linked in your post. Stiggybaby would have charged me less than $4.00 if I had been able to buy from them. Again, if I had been patient I should have either taken you up on your alternative offer, or e-mailed Stiggy and ask them if they had both, even though one wasn't listed. They probably do.

Have you been reading Elton's poll? Actually, I think I did see a post from you there. Anyway, it amazes me how overly difficult people claim adapting modules to their campaigns are. I think it is one of the easiest things to do as a DM. It is a heck of a lot easier than creating everything from scratch, that is for sure. Maybe they just need to do it a couple of times, then go back and try to do it from scratch. Much easier to adapt, at least for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads