• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any feats that allow a Sorc to bypass the metamagic restriction?

rkanodia

First Post
Sorry, giving Sorcerers any abilities keyed to Charisma is forbidden. Make it, oh, I dunno, say 3 + Str bonus and ten bucks says it winds up in the 3.5 PHB.

MensurB

First Post
The Ring of Mesos

In the book "Magic of Faerun" there is a magical ring called Ring of Mesos I beleive. I think this is something you want to look at, however it is not cheap.

Graf

Explorer
Oni said:

Casting a 1 action spell modified by metamagic, like say a stilled magic missle however is a full round action meaning the takes place on the same initiative count on the same round in which it was began, only the sorcerer is limited to a five foot step. Not really a big deal at all.

Whether Tidus got it or not I had no idea.....
(I thought it meant full round like summon monster spells)
I'm afraid my players are going to dislike you, Oni.

Graf

Explorer
Re: The Ring of Mesos

MensurB said:
In the book "Magic of Faerun" there is a magical ring called Ring of Mesos I beleive. I think this is something you want to look at, however it is not cheap.

Nope.
Mesos is the titan of magic from the Scarred Lands Campaign published by Swords and Sorcery. I think it appeared in R&R 2. Lets check summon Nightfall.
IIRC one of his characters is working on creating a Ring of Mesos.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Graf is correct. Ring of Mesos allows you to cast ANY spell augmented by meta-magic feats WITHOUT increasing the action required to cast the spell. (Thus allowing sorcerers to cast spells without the full round action thing). Also it doubles your 1st through 4th level spells per day. So it's not a cheap ring by any standards.

Also there is a Prestige class in a forthcoming book, Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers, that allow sorcerers to be come Uber sorcerers (meaning being able to cast metamagited spells without increase in casting time as well as level I believe.) Blessed of Mesos apparently will be much sought after by many sorcerers.

Last edited:

Spatzimaus

First Post
Veering even further into the House Rules territory:

IMC we ruled that all Sorcerers could use a "Spells Known" slot to learn a metamagicked spell in place of a normal spell, assuming they had the appropriate MM feat. So, you get to 10th level, and instead of picking a new level 5 spell you take Empowered Fireball. It's still spell level 3 for DC purposes, and you can't turn off the Empower effect, but it now casts at the normal 1-action rate. (To pick this spell, you'd need to have Empower Spell already, but you don't need to already know Fireball)

Plain Sailing's "Sorcerous Mastery" Feat is better, of course, but this is an easy house rule to convince a DM to allow, and it doesn't cost you a Feat.

EDIT: Forgot to add, someone once suggested that if a Sorcerer takes the Spell Thematics Feat (picking one spell at each spell level), they should be able to metamagic those spells freely since they're his signature abilities.
You could probably build a whole big Feat tree using Spell Thematics, PS's Sorcerous Mastery, and the Signature Spell feat. Throw Eschew Materials in there and you've got a nice chain.

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
Spatzimaus said:
Veering even further into the House Rules territory:

IMC we ruled that all Sorcerers could use a "Spells Known" slot to learn a metamagicked spell in place of a normal spell, assuming they had the appropriate MM feat. So, you get to 10th level, and instead of picking a new level 5 spell you take Empowered Fireball. It's still spell level 3 for DC purposes, and you can't turn off the Empower effect, but it now casts at the normal 1-action rate. (To pick this spell, you'd need to have Empower Spell already, but you don't need to already know Fireball)

Plain Sailing's "Sorcerous Mastery" Feat is better, of course, but this is an easy house rule to convince a DM to allow, and it doesn't cost you a Feat.

EDIT: Forgot to add, someone once suggested that if a Sorcerer takes the Spell Thematics Feat (picking one spell at each spell level), they should be able to metamagic those spells freely since they're his signature abilities.
You could probably build a whole big Feat tree using Spell Thematics, PS's Sorcerous Mastery, and the Signature Spell feat. Throw Eschew Materials in there and you've got a nice chain.
Uhm, wouldn't it be better for them to just pay a wizard to research & scribe a scroll a 5th level equivelent of fireball, then learn the spell from that?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Spaz, no offense but don't see how my post steers it into "House Rules" terrority. Course the other posts sure, but again just me.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Nightfall: I was referring to the posts about making a Sorcerous Mastery Feat (especially Plane Sailing's version), followed by my own. Both of these clearly involved house rules.

Destil: Sure, if the DM allows that spell. Research of new spells and items is always at the discretion of the DM.

There's also the question of exactly HOW a Sorcerer can "learn" a new spell, but given what little has been said I wouldn't let them just copy it off a scroll.

Remove ads