• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any good cartoon series?

fba827

Adventurer
Currently:
Jackie Chan Adventurers
Kim Possible (though I don't think this one will stand the test of time for me)
Justice League

Ones that I miss ....
Conan The Adventurer
Gargoyles
The Pirates of Dark Water
X-Men the Animated Series
Spiderman (whatever it's title was... the 90s one)
Batman The Animated Series
Ducktales
Gummi Bears
Batman Beyond
Thundercats
Voltron

Some of those on this list more than others ...

As you can see, many of the cartoons I like are ones no longer shown... :(

Dirigible

Explorer
Defenders of the Earth! (Defenders!)
Defenders of the... Earth!

Come and collect your award, Hyp. You are Da Man.

His strength is a legend; his skills conquer all.
Under his power, we never will faaaa-all...!
(Lothar!)

So, wait, who was Lothar?

I know it's been mentioned, but Reboot. Wow. So cool.

And to a much lesser extent Shadow Raiders: War Planets: The Gathering: Revised: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

The Starship Troopers animated series. Also very cool (mostly); has more of the book's material with the movie's style.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dirigible said:
So, wait, who was Lothar?

Google says...

Heh. Each of the four Defenders had a kid in tow - Rick Gordon, Lothar Jr, Jedda Walker... and Mandrake had some orphan kid as an apprentice.

He always reminded me of the poor kid in Captain Planet who got stuck with "Heart".

"Earth!"
"Fire!"
"Wind!"
"Water!"
"... aww, man... do I have to say it out loud?"

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Byrons_Ghost said:
Besides, it's got Julian Sands and Clancey Brown doing voices, what more could you want?

Oooooh...

I don't even know if the show plays here. But looo-ove Julian Sands and Clancy Brown.

Although Clancy Brown wins in the "Had the good taste not to appear in the unbearably awful sequel to a fantastic movie" stakes.

-Hyp.

Beretta

First Post
Well all the free-to-air cartoons are complete crap these days. You need paytv if you want anything halfway decent (at least in Australia).

I have seen Kim Possible on fta and that's actually not bad, but not something that I would go out of my way to see. What happened to all the action/adventure of the past. You know, with guns and beatings. Here's my nostalgic list of fav's that I watched religiously 15 - 20 years ago:

Star Blazers (they never used that Wave Motion Cannon enough for my liking)
Battle of the Planets (G-Force)
Robotech (a classic, though Series 2 was a let-down)
Ulysses 4,000AD (this was pretty cool I thought)
Astroboy
He-Man
TMNT
Transformers (the ones with Optimus Prime)

Time has dimmed my memories so I may be forgetting a few but they are stand-outs to my mind.

Now all I see on tv is junk like Rugrats and some wierd garbage with some bald, stout French guy and his Polynesian sidekick. All of which make me say... "What's all that about?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but has no one mentioned the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy? How can the members of a forum like this overlook a cartoon that has made passing references to The Eye of Vecna, Yog-Sototh, the Evil Dead films, the Tarot, and a "Bad Book" (presumably a Necronomicon reference)?

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
There was a cartoon with Mandrake the Magician, the Phantom and a few others, but I can not remember the name. I used to really love this show.

Defenders of the Earth!! *sotto voice* defenders...*/sotto*

Edited- Hypersmurf did the theme song too well for me to compete :)

I used to watch Cartoons before work everyday- compared to what else was on, Zoids was a Highlight!
The crud was Pokemon/Digimon, Dragonball Pause Dynamical Pose, TMNT (would have been good if the episodes were shown in order), Hamsters, Card Captur Sakura, YuGiOh, BeyBlades etc etc blah blah.

Worst of all is how thinly most of them are just disguised ads for their crappy toys.
Thank God for Spongebob & Jackie Chan Adventures!

Echo the call for return to Gummi Bears, D&D, ThunderCats, Animaniacs, Voltron (the cats, not the cars), He-man and Ulysses 2000!
Reading other posts was reminded of Ducktales.

But a cartoon noone has mentioned- Samurai Pizza Cats!!

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
Despite the fact that some frown upon them, I like Yugi-oh and especially Digimon.

Yugi has rules, you see, rules that enhance some kind of strategy - and strategy is something I can enjoy. And the voice acting is so macho. "You fool! You should never have challenged me - for I am geek!"

Digimon, at its best, is psychodrama. You have to watch each season from the start to get the full effect, of course, but Digimon Season 3 is one of those things that I'll put up against anything else. (EDIT: Ever.)

Jackie Chan Adventures and TMNT and maybe Kim Possible I'll easily recommend, of course. I just can't in good conscience compare them to Digimon.

If we're reminiscing about old toons, I'll have to go back to shortly after we got a TV and mention Aladdin and Gargoyles. Especially Gargoyles. That was teh kewl.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
We watch Jackie Chan, Justice League, X-Men Evolution, and Home Movies.

BTW, anyone remember a group of big giant robot cartoons from the late 70's/early 80's that preceeded Voltron and contemporary with Starblazers? In the Boston Area it was called Force Five - I think in Japan it was called Shogun Warriors. "Gaiking" was one of the robots, and another was Grandizer.

Trying to locate a copy of the series to see if it was as cool as my six year old brain thought it was. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads