• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any real DnD newbies?

ced1106

Explorer
Plenty of newbies! :)

* Run a convention game for beginners to learn D&D.
* Run a D&D game in the kid's room.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

vortex

First Post
ForceUser said:
A friend of mine and I talked about this once. Games seem to be generational - games that were all the rage in our grandparents' time are usually considered old and unappealing by younger generations. I suspect that since roleplaying games are a product of our generation that they will fade away when we die out. Certainly, today's children are much more interested in computer and console games than in anything that ever has come before.

On the plus side, when I'm 80 and in a nursing home I'll have plenty of people to play in my campaign :D

This was exactly the idea I had - DnD in the nursing home <LOL>

robaustin

First Post
I'm in the Big Brother program and introduced my little bro to D&D (He's 11). He "gets it" and can min/max better then I can!

--*Rob

vortex

First Post
Re: Re: Are there any real DnD newbies?

Chauzu said:

One of my friends said he bought the 3e Player's Handbook out of curiosity. When he got home and started reading it, he realized there was no playing board that came with the book and thought there was supposed to be one, so he returned the book back to the store.

That reminds me of the "Nic the Novice" comic strip in the old TSR UK Magazine "Imagine". It was a strip explaning the game to new players. In one episode Nic is buys a basic set and exclaims "what, there is no board or playing pieces!"

Jenale

First Post
score one for the old Basic set

Dug out that old red book for my oldest son (9-1/2), and ran him through the solo adventure there. Now he's after me to make up a way to get to the goblins he couldn't get to, and he's trying to make his own maze.

Lokicyde

First Post
I've been lurking for a while, but I figured I might as well post.

I'm only 16, but I've been really interested in RPGs for some time after playing a bunch of CRPGs (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, etc.). I think my first actual experience with an RPG was actually playing my friend's RPG modification of chess in 7th grade. It was sorta fun, giving abilities and spells to well-known pieces. I've been wanting to play a game for a while, and I'm considering just buying the PHB/DMG/MM, since my friends seem interested.

vortex

First Post
Lokicyde said:
I've been lurking for a while, but I figured I might as well post.

I'm only 16, but I've been really interested in RPGs for some time after playing a bunch of CRPGs (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, etc.). I think my first actual experience with an RPG was actually playing my friend's RPG modification of chess in 7th grade. It was sorta fun, giving abilities and spells to well-known pieces. I've been wanting to play a game for a while, and I'm considering just buying the PHB/DMG/MM, since my friends seem interested.

I wish you luck!

Finding the friends is the hard part, so you should have no troubles.

s/LaSH

First Post
I was a newbie... twelve years ago. My parents got me the basic set (the one with the Jeff Easley dragon on the cover) when I was about 10 (although to be fair, I already owned Isle of Dread - I think my grandmother brought it with her when she was visiting from her dairy farm, and I have no idea why). I got together with a friend, and together we got it sorted. A little later I met other gamers and started playing regularly. My current (tiny) group consists of me, the guy up the street (taught by his elder brother), and the guy up the street and down the hill (I do believe we got him into the scene).

We're 21-22. I fully expect my children to get into RPGs if and when I have any, because I think it would be good for them. Whether we'll still need paper by the time they start gaming, I have no idea, though.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I post at the WotC boards as well, and they get plenty of new people. I see several threads, averaging a little under once a week, that proclaim something like, "Total newb, please help." Or "What is D&D exactly?" I've seen requests for tutors for D&D, and even done some on-line tutoring myself.

I think some of these new gamers are being drawn in from seeing the D&D books in the same stores where they buy their magic cards. Or they hear about what Icewind Dales is based off of. Or some of them just stumble onto the D&D website while searching for something related. Several of the people asking for help obviously don't have a group to play with, so they're hearing about it somehow and want to learn more.

But people are passing it on, and even learning the history. My sister and I are second generation gamers, and our first group was with our dad and his group. My SO games, and any kids I have will be exposed to it. As I'm studying to be a high school teacher (among other things) maybe I'll start up a gaming club to help spark further interest, or just give the resident gamer geeks someplace to gather. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads