D&D 3E/3.5 Are there any role-play differences between Paladin and Cleric?

EdenNotRaven

Explorer
Dear Adventures and DM's,
Are there any role-play differences between Paladin and Cleric?
For example, the Paladin and the Cleric are Lawful \ Chaotic Evil.
Their goddess is the dragon queen... the dark lady... the queen of chaos.
How much are the differences between them gonna be?

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Eden

JAMUMU

actually dracula
The Paladin is chosen to ride out and do stuff in the name of their god/religion. Protecting the faithful, solving 'big picture' problems, vanquishing evil/good, genociding enemies and so on and so forth. Adventuring and questing is their schtick.

The Cleric is a working religious figure of faith, ministering to a flock, spreading the neutral (or whatever) word, solving the problems of individuals or congregations, and so on. Adventuring and questing is at best a secondary part of their schtick.

The paladin is a warrior with strong ALIGNMENT-oriented beliefs (and short of using ALTERNATIVE/supplementary rules, which have the obligation to resolve the confusions, contradictions and issues those alternative rules create, that alignment is LG). They are not special enforcers of a particular deity or religion and their goals are not inherently religious goals as they are NOT any part of a formal religious hierarchy despite possible deep personal commitment to a given deity. Instead they are more PHILOSOPHICAL goals. They ARE blessed supernaturally with special powers and abilities because of their commitment. Even when they gain spells it is as a reward by deities for their longstanding beliefs and faith, not as a part of their job as some kind of religious functionary upholding a particular given deity or religion. The beliefs of a paladin are a personal commitment and it is not necessary to require of others that they adopt their same beliefs. Their goals are otherwise free for the individual paladin to decide - same as it would be for any fighter - given only their commitment to unwavering adherence to LG alignment, and more cautious association with those who are inherently incompatible with their own attitudes and actions. Their commitment is also less towards WRITTEN law as it is a commitment to ORDER (as opposed to chaos/disorder). Paladins, given their singular alignment commitment, have special opposition to evil and will freely exercise their powers against evil as part of their reason for BEING paladins. This REQUIRES that a game setting include societies which accept and even embrace paladins who take such actions or the class has absolutely no logical reason to exist or to have ever formed.

A cleric, on the other hand, is tied intimately with their deity and religion and vastly less with a specific alignment. Between clerics and paladins, it's clerics who are going to be seeking to convert others to their own faith and beliefs. Clerics are the enforcers of their deity's will among that deity's worshippers, insofar as that deity finds it necessary to HAVE their personal portfolio enforced. It is clerics who enforce religious law, lead the combat against religious opposition, and overwhelmingly champion religious goals.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
@Man in the Funny Hat Yep, that's how I've always interpreted the distinction too. Clerics get their powers from deities and are all about religion; paladins get their powers from the impersonal force of Lawful Goodness that even LG gods are beholden to and don't so much serve LG gods as ally with them to further their mutual alignment.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My take on it, partly from lore, partly from game.

1) Any member of a faith may try to become a cleric. It’s a hierarchical position that seeks to spread the faith and tend the flock. They handle the ceremonies. If the mortals running the church say you’re a cleric, you’re a cleric, unless & until the divine says otherwise.

2) Paladins are chosen by divine beings or philosophies to be their martial champions. They generally exist outside the hierarchy of the faith. There are few ceremonies they can actually do, and those they can are generally minor.

the Jester

Legend
Dear Adventures and DM's,
Are there any role-play differences between Paladin and Cleric?
For example, the Paladin and the Cleric are Lawful \ Chaotic Evil.
Their goddess is the dragon queen... the dark lady... the queen of chaos.
How much are the differences between them gonna be?

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Eden
So it obviously depends on the campaign, but in my game, I have characterized the difference this way:

A cleric talks to their god.
But their god talks to paladins.

In other words, a person chooses a god to worship and becomes a cleric, while a god chooses a champion and ordains that individual as a paladin. This difference is subtle and doesn't come up a lot explicitly, but it can inform the way a player runs a cleric or paladin.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Not much from their class/religion, but LOTS of roleplaying differences from who each character is AS A PERSON. Different hopes/dreams/foibles/talents/doubts/faults/etc. I'd play two Lawful Good Human Clerics of Palor as completely different people.

Voadam

Legend
For my conception of them the cleric is a priest concept first, the paladin is a champion first.

Even with a godless caster cosmology which I used in 3.5, the priest is conceptually more of an occult secret society member with magic while a paladin is more of a Jedi knight.

There is a lot of potential overlap though and I was fine with having clerics lean into being champions and it was a roleplay option I often took up when playing clerics.

So it obviously depends on the campaign, but in my game, I have characterized the difference this way:

A cleric talks to their god.
But their god talks to paladins.

In other words, a person chooses a god to worship and becomes a cleric, while a god chooses a champion and ordains that individual as a paladin. This difference is subtle and doesn't come up a lot explicitly, but it can inform the way a player runs a cleric or paladin.
To each their own (and it typically just doesn't matter anyway), but in 3E in particular it's fairly clear that it is the character who feels the call for personal reasons rather than a deity who extends a call for THEIR reasons.

Remove ads