• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there no playable Deathless?

fnork de sporg

First Post
Im mean they're so close to being playable versions of undead in their concept, I really can't understand why the only deathless in the core book have no LA listed.

Is it just in Magic or Races of ebberon or one of the other books I don't have yet?

You'd think they'd be a playable core race, really. Tragically die young, but start over as first level deathless, that kind of thing.

Megatron

Explorer
I created a deathless la +0 race by converting the warforged.
it's really easy since so many of the construct/undead traits are similar.

Child of Hypnos

First Post
it doesnt fit the concept - it supposed to be an honour to become a deathless, you have to be a hero of somekind, (famous artist, bard, wizard, warrior, dramatist etc) so the idea of a Level 1 deathless doesnt fit.

On the otherhand i am suprised there's no deathless template.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Deathless gives you the chance to experience what I experienced as a paladin in 1st ed. - being forced to flee a combat, no saving throw, because an evil cleric turns you.

The DM said the look on my face made it all worth it. :)

Megatron

Explorer
Child of Hypnos said:
it doesnt fit the concept - it supposed to be an honour to become a deathless, you have to be a hero of somekind, (famous artist, bard, wizard, warrior, dramatist etc) so the idea of a Level 1 deathless doesnt fit.

On the otherhand i am suprised there's no deathless template.

that's a campaign-flavor issue, not a mechanics problem.
I was coming from the idea that he wanted a playable living dead race, but it really depends on what setting he wants to play in, if it is infact still Eberron, i would suggest against the race because of you're reasoning.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Megatron said:
that's a campaign-flavor issue, not a mechanics problem.
I was coming from the idea that he wanted a playable living dead race, but it really depends on what setting he wants to play in, if it is infact still Eberron, i would suggest against the race because of you're reasoning.

The WOTC supplement Libris Mortis has plenty of playable Undead from Level 1, from Wights, Vampires, Ghouls and Mummies, to (if you're willing to cut a few corners) a Necropolitan, which is pretty much just an undead person.

I think the main reason there's no level adjustment for the Deathless is because they're SO DARNED POWERFUL!!! The least powerful one might work, though (the Undying Solider I'd put at about LA +2, personally, for a starting ECL of 6.)

Remove ads