• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are these feats too powerful?

MarauderX

Explorer
The luck feat is kinda nice to have, and sometimes just worth spending the extra feat for it. I have a 'Luck Point' system incorporated into my campaign to prevent characters from dying as a result of a bad roll, but they only get one point per level. Once they are used, they don't get replenished the next day. Also the feat isn't too bad when you have several encounters in a day, and only one single roll can be changed out of perhaps 20-30 per encounter. And it doesn't guarentee success.

James McMurray

First Post
Does the paladin rely on healing in battle, or is his Lay on Hands ability suficient? If its the former, a high SR could screw him, since all of the healing spells require SR checks, and its a standard action to lower your SR in order to let spells past.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Ave Rage said:
I'll probably allow him to have SR, but a more reduced version.

The Luck ability I think I'll still not use if only because a cleric has to take a domain to get the ability and to be able to reroll that '1' on a save or die is extremely powerful.

Now, if he wants to take a level of cleric and take the "luck" domain, I wouldn't have a problem with it :)

I agree about the SR.

The thing about Luck is if it is way too good for a feat then it is too good as a domain ability as well. If you restrict the feat to defensive roles then it is not 'too powerful', just useful.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Ave Rage said:
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll probably allow him to have SR, but a more reduced version.

The Luck ability I think I'll still not use if only because a cleric has to take a domain to get the ability
This really isn't a good estimator of power level.
and to be able to reroll that '1' on a save or die is extremely powerful.
And fun.

Blowing a save or die just sucks for all involved. And really - how often is it going to be happening? And when it DOES happen, how often is he not going to have already spent his luck on something previously that day.

And the feat isn't just in the book of feats, it's also in the wheel of time RPG (where it's possible to take it multiple times).

Mathematically, the feat has the potential to turn a 50/50 save into a 75/25 save. For one save a day. One save. I'd estimate the average adventurer makes about 10 saves a day, most of which have worse odds than 50/50.

A feat which gives you +1 to all saves is probably better than this feat. Luck of heroes is in forgotten realms I believe, and does exactly that. It's widely considered to be a weak feat.

wolfen

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I'd estimate the average adventurer makes about 10 saves a day, most of which have worse odds than 50/50.

10 saves a day!? Great jebus in the sky! Maybe at the higher levels.

My 5th level sorceror makes just about 2 saves per session. This actually makes for a good poll. I bet class and level have an awful lot to do with it.

But I digress.

Crothian

First Post
I'd change the luck ability from 1/day to 1/session. I've found that feats like that are best per session as to really make people think more before using them. Of course you can always make it twice or thrice per session if one seems to little.

Ave Rage

First Post
I guess the luck ability isn't as powerful as previously thought.

How many BBEG's should have this feat? How about multiple times? I'm thinking nothing would make a PC frown harder than to see the BBEG roll a 1 *luck* roll another 1 *luck* roll another 1 *luck* 20 or something equally as horrifying (yes, I roll in the open)

Scion

First Post
The luck feat is pretty nice, useful and interesting perhaps, but at least part of the time it is just never used. Sometimes when it is used it doesnt matter. The rest of the time just makes players happy without unbalancing the game in any way (none of those shown above are unbalancing, getting a second chance at a save or die is something that all heros should be able to do.. but then I get rid of save or die spells in my campaign..lol)

As for the Draconic SR, I would give it to him. 11+Level. But I would make it so that he couldnt take it down, and it also applied to spells he cast on himself (although I would probably give him a +2 to that check) It would give him an even better reason to get spell penetration either way..lol.. and in the end being halfway immune to your party spells and to the enemy spells runs about equal, maybe even into the 'too weak' category.. but for that massive of scaling resistance for only a feat it has to have a massive drawback.. and I like flavorful drawbacks..

'I can feel the dragons power within me.. but I cant always control it...'

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads