Are We Looking At A New RPG Kickstarter Record?

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

strong.jpg

Strongholds & Streaming is a dual Kickstarter - first to produce a 128-page hardcover book about building strongholds and attracting followers for D&D 5th Edition; and then with stretch goals related to Colville's streaming channel.

You can build four stronghold types - keeps, towers, temples, and establishments; these roughly correlate to warriors, arcane casters, divine casters, and rogue-types. The stronghold improves your class abilities, and attracts followers.

Stretch goals include miniatures, more pages, an an adventure (so far - he's blown through all those on there right now already).

You can see this epic Kickstarter here. I've never seen an RPG Kickstarter blow up quite so fast in so short a time!

Matt Colville writes the Critical Role comic, and has worked on various tabletop gaming projects, including the recent Star Trek RPG. He has worked on various mass-combat and starship combat rulesets. In addition, he runs a big YouTube channel about tabletop RPGs (D&D especially).
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
It seems to me that there's this weird drama around this, which isn't necessary or productive. D&D (and other RPGs) are doing fantastic. The success of venues such as Critical Role and Colville's channel is great news for us as hobbyists (in a general sense). That success means more companies will invest in RPGs and that means more offerings for us consumers. We all suffered through the Edition Wars. May I suggest we avoid a war about which medium is the superior one for promoting and discussing our games? I love ENWorld and it isn't going anywhere.
I'm fine with that. I just get the sense that on these boards there's lots of push back and negativity whenever streaming is mentioned.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

darjr

I crit!
I'm fine with that. I just get the sense that on these boards there's lots of push back and negativity whenever streaming is mentioned.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

I'll chime in and say it's not from me. Streaming is awesome. For me it was finding a way to watch/listen. It's not like a traditional tv show for me. I'll listen some in the car/walk/chore like a podcast, or put it on while doing something else. But there are bits I'm glad I could see in video. Especially Dice Camera Action lately.

What can I say? I'm hooked!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'll chime in and say it's not from me. Streaming is awesome. For me it was finding a way to watch/listen. It's not like a traditional tv show for me. I'll listen some in the car/walk/chore like a podcast, or put it on while doing something else. But there are bits I'm glad I could see in video. Especially Dice Camera Action lately.

What can I say? I'm hooked!

Critical Role is about the only thing I can keep up with, though I did watch much (not all) of the Strahd season of DCA. But on these boards, it almost seems like every time streaming comes up, someone has to pipe in with "I don't get why you'd want to watch other people play."

I don't sit in the office Monday morning and interrupt my colleagues when they discuss the Bears game that weekend with, "I don't understand why anyone would want to watch football."

Remove ads

Remove ads