• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you a cat person?

Are you a fan of the Tabaxi?

• Yes

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 13 14.6%

discosoc

First Post
I'm getting annoyed with it. A player at one of my tables (I'm not the DM there) is one, and he's managed to convince the DM that he can run/jump/climb basically anything without a skill check (convenient considering he dumped STR and didn't take the athletics skill), as well as move through occupied spaces at normal pace (because cats can fit through anything...).

So yeah, I've developed an annoyance with the race.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm getting annoyed with it. A player at one of my tables (I'm not the DM there) is one, and he's managed to convince the DM that he can run/jump/climb basically anything without a skill check (convenient considering he dumped STR and didn't take the athletics skill), as well as move through occupied spaces at normal pace (because cats can fit through anything...).

So yeah, I've developed an annoyance with the race.

Well they do have a climbing speed of 20, but other than that yeah, that's just a... disruptive player (I guess)? Definitely a cheating player.

discosoc

First Post
Well they do have a climbing speed of 20, but other than that yeah, that's just a... disruptive player (I guess)? Definitely a cheating player.

I think they can jump farther as well (or something like that). I brought during the first session, to no avail. As someone who normally DM's, it just grates on me to see it excused away enthusiastically by the DM because she loves cats and doesn't know how to say no.

Personally, I think the Tabaxi are great. Could use some tweaking here and there, give some other feline speciies a bit of love. But there's always going to be hate for a non-human-like race from many. Dragonborn suffer hate all the time for being not human enough. Same with tiefling and other "monster races." I mean, how many times in this thread have people flat out just called them "goofy" or something similar? There's nothing that makes the Tabaxi anything of the sort but human inclination.

Couple the above with just some people that don't like cats.

The Survivor thread actually showcases just how much the Tabaxi are liked - given how constantly people gave a downvote at double the rate of an upvote? Tabaxi got a lot of love when faced with that pressure to make it to nearly the end.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think for some it's a dnd version of NIMBYism but instead of "not in my backyard!" it's "not in my Greyhawk!"

fjw70

Adventurer
Ever since I was in a 1e game where the DM homebrewed a cat race, I have been facinated by the concept (the Lion guy from the Flash Gordon animated series was part of the fascination too).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Ever since I was in a 1e game where the DM homebrewed a cat race, I have been facinated by the concept (the Lion guy from the Flash Gordon animated series was part of the fascination too).
Ajani Goldmane from magic the gathering is one of their cooler characters. He's a leonin which are basically anthropomorphic lions.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm a fan. Though, oddly, I'm not a fan of anime at all, so my votes for Tabaxi in the other thread have no connection to it.

Instead, like many others, Tabaxi are my stand-in for Khajiit.

As I said in the other thread, they're also a lazy way for me to convert Woem, a catfolk race I homebrewed in other games and others editions, when running some of the older stuff I've written. They're significantly different enough to be something other than Tabaxi, but, until I get around to figuring out how to recreate them in 5th edition, Tabaxi stats work well enough.

With a few minor changes, Tabaxi can also work for the Litorians, if you wanted to run Ptolus in 5th Edition.

I am a fan of the classic fantasy races too, but there are some things I find strange about the definition of "classic." For one, in my opinion, the lizard man is a classic fantasy archetype, but only one edition of D&D (4th) introduced a core PC race with reptilian features: the dragonborn (and they're arguably not lizard men). Secondly, I often find it strange that multiple types of elves is a common trope, but the majority of settings only seem to have one type of dwarf or two types of dwarf which are slightly different. Thirdly, I am not always sure I understand what the identity of D&D Gnomes is supposed to be. Lastly, I'm not always clear on what the divide is between orcs and goblinoids (or why orcs are even considered evil when considering the story of Gruumsh).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The game IS best when it is humans playing humans. Always.

No.

It's best when it's people playing people.

My current Eberron campaign has not a single human, and there aren't any of the racial stereotypes people tend to insist are nearly inevitable with non human characters.
The dwarf is a dragon blood sorcerer with slightly blue skin, who wanders around living off the land and peddling simple wares, repeating things, etc, other than a brief stint as a Cyran mercenary during the war.
The half-elf is the closest to a stereotype, because he is a bard, but he channels his magic via his Dragonmark (Storm), and focuses on being an epic storyteller, and expert swordsman and ship's pilot (now airship captain).

The elf is also close, being a druid, but she is neither a standard FR-style druid, nor a standard Eberron Elf. Her people have a whole thing with a vast library in the form of semi-aware trees that they tell their stories to, the whole stories of their lives and deeds, and the trees record them, and pass the stories to younger trees when they near death, and thus their ancestors are never truly lost.

The rest of the party is:
a Kobold Wizard on a revenge quest against the dragon who murdered his dragon mentor,
a Shadar-kai monk working as an inquisitive in Sharn and trying to get away from his past as a gladiator and mercenary,
a Vrylocka Paladin of The Blood of Vol whose ties to her family keep her grounded in spite of exile, and who is on the trail of a conspiracy that threatens her entire worldview,
a Kalashtar Mystic who is caught between a desire to stay one step ahead of the Inspired, and his impulse to help people,
a half-Drow Warlock whose "patron" is his patron ancestor, raised by the racist parents of his elves mother, who is searching for acceptance, and his half-Drow father. And for an explanation of how he has a patron ancestor and a Dragonmark when he is not a "proper" half-elf nor a "proper" elf,
And their NPC allies, where we finally get some humans.

Now, in a world with only humans, all the cultures and predjudices and such that inform these characters might work fine, but in Eberron the places of each race are carefully considered, and have to do with their origins, history, and unique nature. These characters are informed by their culture, but their culture is informed by their nature.

In the case of the Kobold Wizard, he can't go to the library of Korranberg because the Gnomes there don't want a dirty Kobold in their great city, much less their precious library. That is a history and culture thing. He also speaks draconic and views himself as equal to anyone else, even the Dragons, because Kobolds in eberron believe they are the true children of the progenitor dragons. Again, you could do that with humans, but it loses nothing by being Kobolds and Gnomes.

Khalid, the Shadar-kai is interesting, in part, because he comes from Thelanis, Eberron's Feywild, in a region that is more like the Shadowfel(I don't use the 4e answer of putting shadowfel stuff in mabar or Dollurh), and bc he has to meditate to stay emotionally level, because his nature makes him too sensitive to stimuli. His history since coming to Eberron is also interesting, but a big part of his story is informed by his physical nature.

Which brings me to the next big point. The other races are human, in the end. Not literally, but in the sense that they are social animals with the same fears and hopes and (most of) the same needs as your or me. The trick in playing non humans is to find the "humanity" in a character, and build from that, informed by the unique nature of the race, culture, and background that character concept brings to the table.

Lastly, DnD is best when it is used to allow us to challenge ourselves.

Remove ads