Are you a cold person or a hot person?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
My comfort zone when being outside is some 15-95 Fahrenheit or -10 to 35 centigrade. I assume I could extend this zoen with some adaption. Regardless of temperature I prefer dry air to humidity.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There's probably some counter science that says we melt like candles in the heat. compared to our southern cousins as well.

I've lived in northern and southern climes- got frostbite at -50degF and heat stroke at 117degF for my troubles- so I've gotten to see some of that.

In the north, you have the "polar bears" to be sure, but they start having heat advisories and actual deaths happening when your "heat waves" consistently hit @89degF.

Down here, we have hypothermia warnings whenever the temps reach @40degF. Some of my friends lost their power during the storm that rolled through in early December, and left to stay with others when their houses hit an insufferable 59degF.

Yes...the same temp I used to keep my dorm room.

bone_naga

Explorer
I grew up dealing with the cold. I've camped outside in the snow. I don't mind the cold when it is on my terms. Of course, if I have to stand outside in the cold for no reason without moving with no extra gear to keep me warm and can't even put my hands in my pockets, then not so much.

I've also been in some pretty warm places. As long as it is a dry heat I can deal with it. Heat + humidity and I quit.

Abraxas

Explorer
Give me the cold any day of the week.

I haven't worn more than a flannel shirt as a winter coat since I moved from Michigan's upper peninsula to it's lower peninsula 25 years ago. I used to wear shorts year round when my job allowed it. Cold just doesn't bother me - I'm one of those people that would swim in Lake Superior when the water temp was 37 F and we had to walk through snowbanks to get to the water. Hell, the temp in my kitchen is 55 F right now.

That being said, I also tolerate the heat well enough but just don't like it.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I've been in Arizona during the week of July 4th. Temps got above 110F during the day, and to my absolute amazement was 101 at 11:00 at night, (as shown on the late news). I can say from experience, 110F dry is much more comfortable than 85F humid. Yes, dry 110F it is HOT, but it's not miserable, (although my nose did bleed a couple of days). Here in North Carolina, the humidity gets so thick if feels living underwater.

Bullgrit

Grehnhewe

First Post
I probably should not even contribute to this thread as I live in one of the most moderate climates in the world. I would however say I prefer cold weather over hot. Everybody has a heater, but not a lot of private residences have AC. I would have to say my least favourite weather condition overall is heavy winds.

Jhaelen

First Post
Neither. Or maybe both. I used to prefer cold over heat, but that changed over the years. Now, extreme cold affects me just as badly as extreme heat.

Nellisir

Hero
I'm not fond of either. Generally I can deal with cold better than heat, but I did surprisingly well in Thailand this summer and I'm always more willing to do something in the heat than my Bangkok-raised (AC all the time) wife. I'd rather have sawdust on my jacket than stuck to my body with sweat...though swimming in the river is nicer when I don't have to bash a hole in the ice first.

Remove ads