Are you a problem player and if yes why?

RedSiegfried

First Post
I don't think I'm a problem player of any sort. Sure, I sometimes do things that I wish, in hindsight, I didn't do, or that I had done better, but I can't recall the last time anyone called me out on that stuff, so it must not be that big of a problem.

I guess I've played the game long enough with enough different people, both problem and non-problem players, that I'm careful about recognizing problem behaviors in myself and doing my best to stop them before they happen. Am I perfect? No way. But I guess play well enough with others that I haven't had any complaints in a long time.

Side note: I just realized after using the term enough that I don't like the term "problem player." I understand it's just a quick term used to describe something that's a very complicated behavior, so I get why people use it, including myself, but the more I say it, the less I like it. But that might be a topic for another thread, maybe, and I'd have to put some more thought into specifically what bothers me about it.

I play with friends only, so they know my quirks and accept them, but I know that I have some annoying habits :
- I'm a rules-lawyer, usually to the detriment of the party
- I don't like it when I feel that our success is unearned
- I get tired of my character pretty fast

AR

I think I am the sort of player that can easily adapt to any group. I don't feel a need to hog the spotlight, I like to think as a team, and I'm the sort of player that can get others into the role playing side, with entertaining characters that can make even new players feel like they don't need to be ashamed.

However, I do have a low tolerance for players that actively work against their fellow players. Cut that out, or I walk.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I'm apparently a problem player because:
I ask for game to start on time
I ask for the owner of a half-pit bull to do something about his dog nipping at me and jumping on me
I think that if I bring a bowl of snacks, that it is reasonable that I actually get to have some of them before the host, his wife, and his kids eat them all.
I ask for the GM to actually read the module before we sit down to play it
This list could go on, seriously.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I am a problem in that I refuse to play with most GMs who don't allow the full range of products for a given game. Very few exceptions - as in when the world we want to play on would not justify certain powers or books. This is why I am GM in 95% of games.

Once I'm in a game I am very adaptable and try to drive the plot along if it is stuck. I can game with most people and only get impatient when planning takes up most of the evening - then my chars might just jump into action by themselves.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Party approaches what is probably a dangerous situation ahead. Party stops...and plans, and dithers, and plans, and...in goes my character (regardless of whether it's a character suitable for leading the way or not) because I'm bored and want to see what's around the corner. In fairness, the party usually back me up once this happens; but I still end up dead far more often than I'd like. Which makes me grumpy; which can't be much fun for anyone else. :)

Lanefan

Some games desperately need such players ;)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I DM a campaign and have busy work/family schedule, so I don't have time to be a player in other games, except the rare convention.

Learned something about myself as a player today--I'm really impatient with people who slow combat because they can't decide what to do.

It should not surprise me, because I'm quick to become annoyed when, as a fast food place, people stand in line for 10 minutes and still are not ready to make their order when they get to the counter. ("No soup for you!", I dream.)

But it seems hypocritical because I'm really patient with players as a DM when it comes to this. I don't even get upset. My players seem okay with the pacing of combat, but now I wonder if I'm a slow decision away from a game-place-violence incident.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Some games desperately need such players ;)
diversion

Fun story:

The exact situation from my post (#9) happened to me in last weekend's game - I got bored, sent my character ahead, others got there just a whisker late to prevent her death. So they slap a Ring of Regeneration on her - it'll take a few hours to bring her back - and the session ends.

This week while waiting for the Ring to do its thing they explored a couple of rooms then decided to get into an in-party brawl (Thieves vs. Tank over who should open the possibly-trapped doors) which came to blows - grand entertainment! Then while this is winding down one of the Thieves (unknown to us) gets possessed by an item and throws down on the Druid. Another brawl, with weapons this time, quickly ended when the Thief was restrained. A while after this my (very Lawful) character finally wakes up; on hearing what transpired while she was out of it she is more convinced than ever they can't function without her leadership...and, despite being very much on the spindly side, she's the type of leader who likes to lead from the front; she's not the sort who would send people in to do something she's not prepared to do herself.

She's doomed!

/diversion

Lanefan

S

Sunseeker

Alright, I got another confession. I hate having my time wasted. I play D&D, as I play everything else, to relax and have fun. Nothing irritates me more than someone deciding to do something "for the lulz" or putzing around getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Especially when I'm trying to get the group back on track. I get grumpy, irritable and have been known to just stand up and walk away from the table for a while.

I can't say I find games very enjoyable or relaxing to nearly accomplish something, or be working really hard to accomplish something only to have it undermined by someone who thinks its "funny" or by someone who'd rather go look for puppies in town.

Remove ads