• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you bothering to read DUNGEON anymore? (and level index)

Are you bothering to read DUNGEON anymore?

• Poll closed .

JoelF

First Post
I'm downloading the modules, and saving them for a time that I run out of print product to read (this could be decades down the road though.)

carmachu

Adventurer
Dice4Hire said:
The oddball adventures and just plain imaginative ones were very important to me. For me Pathfinder took 25% of the magazine and increased its price 12 times or so. The other 75% just disappeared.

Those are called Game Mastery modules. Paizo has split them and made two seperate items: odd ball adventures(game mastery modules) and AP(Pathfinder).

Yes its more expensive. But quality is still there.

Sparafucile

First Post
Dice4Hire said:
Agreed. With what I have sen of Dungeon, Dragon, and DDI in general (i.e. virtually nothing) why would anyone pay for the content at the rate of 10 bucks or more a month?

WOTC has had eight months so far to prove that the ten bucks is a good deal, but who would pay 80 dollars for what has been put up since August?

That's the best argument I've heard, and it sums up my feelings. I've logged onto their website once a week or so, and downloaded some of the adventures. Is the total content of what I've seen worth 80 bucks? Absoultely not.

When a pair of printed products are killed because they are essentailly "too good a value" and provided content whose quality was "too high" or "too sucessful," then something's seriously wrong. Economically, the wheels have come off the wagon somewhere. . .

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I've downloaded them all, but haven't even read one yet. Not even Hell's Heart, and I just DMed Chimes at Midnight and Quoth the Raven!

I've tried to read through, but I can't stay focused on reading on a computer screen, and I don't want to use all my ink printing it out.
-blarg

trollwad

First Post
Dungeon and Dragon are now irrelevant to me. Its free right now and I don't even bother to read most of the issues.

I don't like the online site (it is hard to navigate and read). I loathe the delve format. I loved content from Erik Mona, James Jacobs, Logue, Pett, Schneider and the rest and I don't care for the new authors stuff so far (no offense Ari, I'm sure you'll do better next time!). Even Jacob's Demonomicon seems flat compared to what it was before. I loved old Dungeon's Greyhawk and old school references (Isle of Dread, Maure Castle, Demogorgon, Kyuss) and the only effort in this direction so far in the new Dungeon (Tsojcanth) was terrible -- the Gygaxian lore for Tsojcanth from Ye Secrets of Oerth Revealed by Gygax clearly contradicted the adventure -- therefore unless it was an extraordinarily good rewrite, the adventure is wrong! I'm not just an old school grognard complaining about 4e; not only does Dungeon not have the Old School credentials of Mona and Jacobs, but it doesn't have the New School freshness of Kobold Quarterly, Logue's Sinister Games or Wolfgang Bauer's Open Design (Empire of the Ghouls, Logue's effort) or Pathfinder (Logue's hillbilly ogres, pathfinder's plague city, pathfinder's classic monsters reimagined, etc.) .

WoTC may own the D&D trademarks but most of the creativity seems to be coming from Logue, Pett, Baur, Jacobs, Mona, and the Trolls' Castle Zagyg. With Monte being retired, I am starting to think I shouldn't even bother looking at Wizards' stuff anymore when I can get more bang for my buck from these authors outside of Wizards (Kobold Quarterly is something like $5!).

The only positive thing I can say about Dungeon is that it is better than Dragon!

subbob

First Post
Too Fragmented

As others have stated, the system is too unwieldy. Give me the option of downloading an entire "issue" - I do not want to be bothered with getting items one at a time, spread out over an open ended period.

The interface is poor and the link to download the articles is sometimes hard to find.

Mangling a line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it badly, they won't come"

Shroomy

Adventurer
I hope you guys take the time to read my adventure, which should be coming out in the next few weeks. It's my first published work for RPGs.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Shroomy said:
I hope you guys take the time to read my adventure, which should be coming out in the next few weeks. It's my first published work for RPGs.

Is that appearing in Kobold Quarterly, pathfinder, Enworld or self-published?

BTW, worldwide adventure writing month is coming up too :)

Jay H

Jhaelen

First Post
Mirtek said:
Actually I find that hard to believe. I had no problem at all getting them in Germany (either from FLGS or directly from Paizo).

So even if you have no FLGS around where you live, you could always just subscribe at paizo.com
Isn't it awfully expensive to ship them to Germany when ordering directly from Paizo? I would have been quite interested in getting all issues with the Crimson Tide AP since there's no hope of ever seeing them published in hardcover.

Regarding the Dungeon adventures I've seen online: I thought most of them were very good.

I've also downloaded all of the 'Original Adventures' and 'Cliffhanger' articles. Typically I just read the adventure introduction to get an idea what they're about and the intended party level. Then I skim the encounter sections and give them a preliminary rating. Then I save them with a filename like 'L<level> - <title> (<rating>)'. Whenever I need an adventure at a certain level I skim the list and pick one that matches what I'm looking for. I then either print them or save them in a Word document to edit whatever I decide to change. If the level doesn't exactly match I'll often replace most or all of the encounters.

Incidentally, the next adventure I'm going to run in my campaign is a mix of the Web Enhancement for Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Last Breaths of Ashenport, and the sample Illithid city from the 2E Illithiad. The target character level will be 12. Among other things it will feature Half-Farspawn Weresquid Aquatic Elf Wilders :D

Remove ads