• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you considered flat-footed vs. traps?

TheEvil

Explorer
It came up in the game tonight where my rogue failed to spot an arrow trap and set it off. I couldn't find anything saying otherwise, so the GM ruled I was flat-footed. Is there anything in the rules which makes this clear one way or the other?

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, at 4th a Rogue gets Uncanny Dodge, which removes most the penalties for being flat-footed, and the Rogue's Trap Sense ability at 3rd or above (+1 to AC and Reflex saves vs. traps for every 3 full levels of Rogue) makes a rogue rather difficult for a trap to hit.

However, below 3rd, I don't recall it being spelled out anywhere, one way or another, if the Rogue is caught flat-footed or not when badly failing a Disable Device roll on a trap.

Goolpsy

First Post
Think it would depend on the situation
U open a door getting targeted by an arrow from across the room... = flat footed.. cause u didn't know it was there.. (or maybe not? cause adventures are normally careful when traveling the dungeon coridors...

But if you disarm a trap.. u know the trap is there.. and probably most of its funktion... So u are ready to recieve the Hit once u make a mistake... its one of those slowmotion things...

the Jester

Legend
Fascinating- this leads me to some related issues... and I don't think the answer to these are spelled out anywhere.

Let's change the scenario a little and say that the trap is some kind of invisible pendulum blade or something, and that it's triggered while you are already in combat.

Uncanny Dodge allows you to retain your dex bonus to AC while flat-footed or struck by an invisible opponent. Does the trap qualify in this case? Is it an "opponent?"

Now, looking at your question, let's examine the definition given in the PH for flat-footed:

3.5 PHB said:
Flat-footed: Especially vulnerable to attacks at the beginning of a battle. Characters are flat-footed until their first turn in the initiative cycle. A flat-footed creature loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

Okay, is a triggering a trap the beginning of a battle? Is there even going to be an initiative roll? I say that triggering a trap under these circumstances doesn't count for purposes of determining flat-footedness. However, I certainly can see how it would be reasonable to rule otherwise.

I don't recall a place for it either, but IMO almost all traps are hidden. As such their targets should be denied Dex unless the target has spotted the trap via Search.

Or.... treat it as the start of a battle..but not going to the length of rolling initiative. Traps are hidden opponents that are aware of your presence and act first in the surprise round. If you beat the your search DC before triggering the trap you can also act in the surprise round and are not flatfooted.
Uncanny Dodge and all those other silly things apply as normal.

If you wish to roll Init, have the trap trigger at the initative rank = 10 + trap CR. This could give normal characters a chance to dive out of the way {or into the way}.

Depends on how involved you want to be in the whole trap event. Is it the focus of the encounter or just an attrition mechanic on the way to the big encounter?

Remove ads