Are you cooler than your parents?

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Well, I'm not going to say yes because my mother lived through WWII in a village just outside of Dresden (you may recall from history that we firebombed it into oblivion), lived through the Soviet invasion and eventually escaped from East Germany in the 1950s, and is a 3X cancer survivor....

...but yes.

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I think I'm kinda similar to my dad, coolness-wise. Maybe a tad less. My father was quite the hipster, and still is, really, despite being well into his 60s.

We're probably both 'hipper' than my mum has ever been, but she's a pretty cool person, even if she's never been 'hip'. This becomes more and more obvious the more I get to know her as an adult.

Elf Witch

First Post
I think I am if you are judging coolness by being into pop culture. My dad for example was born in 1918 he hated Star Wars said he didn't understand it. He thought my belonging to the SCA and going to Cons after my son was born is something a grown up does not do. He hated all rock music and rap an hip hop drove him crazy. One thing that I thought was cool about him was the way he judged people who lived in retirement places like Century Village as old farts. This was when he was in his eighties.

My mom had rigid ideas what grown ups should do. Especially woman we shouldn't read fiction, or have hobbies other than taking care of the home.

I would say that my dad (64) is cooler than I am (38). He is well-read, well-traveled, has numerous and varied interests (from woodcarving to Skyrim) as well as numerous and varied friends. I wouldn't say that he's hip to contemporary pop culture (he loved Breaking Bad but probably doesn't know who Miley Cyrus is), but he's certainly not outside of it either.

My mom is as cool, but she knits a lot :p

AR

Nellisir

Hero
I'm cooler than my father on pretty much every imaginable metric. My mother is pretty cool. I think I'm a little cooler, but my siblings would probably disagree.

My slightly younger brother, and much younger sister are way cooler than I am, however. My sister is just cool, and my brother is a double-black diamond telemark skier who teaches junior high science, coaches high school track and running, and goes canoeing for a month or more every summer in northern Canada.

Serendipity

Explorer
At my age? Hell yes! Though when she was younger, my mother was quite the hellraiser. So I really only win by comparison of "when we were both 41 years old."

Remove ads