D&D 5E Are You Excited about Tomb of Annihilation?

Like heck I am! I'm a huge fan of including dinosaurs in D&D, probably due to a few very memorable episodes involving assorted theropods from 2e games in my college days. I also very much like Chult as a setting (likely at least partially due to it having said dinosaurs), so much so that The Ring of Winter was the first FR novel I purchased, and The Jungles of Chult was among the first FR accessories I bought...

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I like the sound of it. I may even pick it up, but it'll be a while before I run it (being in the middle of playing one campaign, and another lined up after this one's done).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Something to consider: given the 1-11 level range of the adventure (place me firmly in Steamboat YAAAAAWN for that one too, for what it's worth) and the puzzling reference to Acererak as an Archlich on the cover of the DMG, wouldn't it be great if the lich was the PATRON of this one, not the ADVERSARY? Like, Acererak is also kind of pissed that his masterwork deathtrap somehow ended up in the freaking Forgotten Realms, and is hiring the PCs to retrieve what's left of it and return it to Greyhawk?

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
I'm intrigued rather than excited. I've never used dinos in D&D but I'm playing with my kids now and I think they'd love it. So if reviews are decent I'll pick it up and run it for my kids later on.

happyhermit

Adventurer
The last 3 Adventures exceeded my expectations, got more use and enjoyment out of them than many other RPG products I have bought, even if I never run them as is in a stand alone campaign. Nothing to make me hesitate on this adventure, so I am pretty excited to see it, something big would have to come up for me not to buy it. More excited about this than Xanathar's, which I am a bit hesitant about.

designbot

Explorer
Wouldn't including an alternate, CR 20 Acerack and a list of encounter replacements give the book more utility and a broader appeal, causing a 1-11 book to sell a fraction of what that book would sell?

Acererak is already CR 21 (CR 23 in his lair). Check your Monster Manual, page 49.

• Princes of the Apocalypse was for levels 1-15 and the Princes of Elemental Evil ranged from CR 18-20.
  • Out of the Abyss was for levels 1-15 and the demon lords ranged from CR 23-26.
  • Storm King's Thunder was for levels 1-10 and featured at least two CR 23 creatures.
It's very unlikely that Acererak is being watered down to make him easily killable by level 11 characters.

Very excited. I'm planning to run the Pathfinder adventure 'Souls for Smuggler's Shiv' as an intro and somewhere and somehow include 'Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan' - two adventures I've always wanted to run.

Last edited:

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'm kinda lukewarm on this. I'm glad we're going outside the Sword Coast. I'm glad to hear that more exotic locations will be glimpsed and that exploration will be stressed.
Returning again to tired tropes of Dungeons and Undead has me much less excited.
I'd like to see more innovation and creativity in their hardback adventures.

Li Shenron

Legend
So, new thread time: Chult with, undead, dinosaurs, and undead dinosaurs; Acererak, a new tomb of "horror", and stealing resurrection magic.
Are you excited? Are you apathetic? Are you waiting to see?

I dislike dinosaurs, but I am generally pleased by the adventure idea of ToA.

That said, I still haven't bought any 5e adventure book, although I am tempted by the Yawning Portal. It's just that I am unfortunately playing D&D too rarely these days, and I still have plenty of older editions' adventures to run.

Mephista

Adventurer
I'm still confused at the link between resurrection magic and undead, honestly. Yes, both bring people back from the dead, but one uses radiant energy to restore someone to life, one uses negative energy, and undead lack the life force and soul of the original person by the very nature of being undead, ghosts aside. I don't quite see the link.

I might take some interest in this, assuming that we have newer looks at traps and poisons. Always fond of those, but if not? Meh.

Remove ads