• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you glad that Increased Threat Ranges no longer stack?

Are you glad increased threat ranges (eg keen+Improved Critical) won't stack

• Yes, this change is a definite improvement

Votes: 113 38.2%
  • No, there has never been the slightest need for change

Votes: 171 57.8%
  • No opinion - added late

Votes: 12 4.1%

Kai Lord

Hero
I'm guessing this might be the first true turkey of the revisions, but maybe the votes in favor of the change will prove me wrong.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
In short, no.

It won't let me vote, but I'd like to chime in and say that I think this rule change borders on idiotic, and in fact I'm wondering (based on this change) whether I will even be buying 3.5 at all.

Technik4

First Post
Not really. I think Imp Crit and Keen should stack with each other and any other effect should emulate one of them (and therefore not stack with the original).

Keen Edge, Scabbard of Keen Edges and any prc effect that is called "keen" is a keen bonus.

Anything that refers to critical hits, improving the crit range, improving the threat range is considered a critical bonus.

Thus there are a total of 2 effects that can affect a threat range which stack together but not with anything else. There could be other special effects from prcs that could provide "enhancement" bonuses to the threat range, like the Weapon Master prc, but these are of course optional.

Technik

Gossamerblade

First Post
I think it totally sucks :mad:

If my character has Improved Critical with a sword and has a Keen scabbard, then one or the other is useless.

Along the same lines: Magic arrows not stacking with magic bows.

Yep, it's a Hoover; bigtime sucks.

geezerjoe

First Post
I voted no, but I don't think it will have THAT much of an impact on the game in general.

If anything this gives the "Magic has been Nerfed" crowd something to say "Nah nah nee nah nah" about ;) :p

l8r

Joe2Old

Darrin Drader

Explorer
In my not so humble opinion, stacking critical threat bonuses is one of the worst ideas ever and I'm happy they changed it. I've seen combinations that get the critical threat range all the way down to a roll of 12-20. 12 is often less than what the character actually needs to roll to hit a monster. True, you still have to hit for it to be a threat, and you do have to confirm the hit to ensure it's a critical hit, but this still brings us to a game mechanic that allows for crits just as often as not. That is broken. Double or triple damage should be your reward for a high roll rather than a usual occurrence. I think this was definitely the right call for them to make and is just another example of how 3.5 fixes what were shortcomings with the system.

Last edited:

Tanstaafl

First Post
I agree with Baraendur... crits should be special occurances and bring excitement and joy to players (not the ho hum, I got another critical hit, yawn, response).

Remove ads